Woo free petrol!

Soldato
Really? Doubt that somehow? :D So if i wake groceries from a shop and walk out without the person at the till asking me if i had groceries, its a gift? :D

My training as an assistant at a petrol station says otherwise and as far as I know it is fuel specific due to the pumps needing to be authorised before fuel is dispensed. You cannot just take fuel without having had some form of interaction from a member of staff.

Soldato
If you are not asked if you have had any fuel and you have then it is considered a gift and does not need to be paid for, it's for this very reason a lot of assistants ask whether you have had fuel even if the forecourt is empty.

Sorry, no.

A gift would have been acknowledged by the cashier and added to the receipt at £0.

She and the business have entered into an agreement for her to buy a pack of mints, in exchange for the same value these mints are advertised. At no point was any fuel included in this agreement.

It's not theft because she hasn't taken the fuel with intent to permanently deprive the garage of it, but now you have spotted the mistake, namely not buying the fuel, it would be theft if you don't compensate the garage.

If you are mischarged for an item, that is different, it's not a 'gift', you have merely agreed a different price with the seller, who cannot make you go back on this. But she wasn't mischarged.

Associate
Anyone used the filling station at the top of the long southern section of the A34, they DO have ANPR, when a car pulls up the TV inside shows the CCTV flick to that car, then read the numberplate, then displays the addresss of the owner, mostly censored.

they aren't what they're cracked up to in petrol stations tho, BP in Wokingham displayed mine as a T reg rather than a H reg the problem being that they didn't make the 205 past P reg

Associate
I used to be work in a cash office for a big supermarket, part of the job was going over to the petrol station and check their money to make sure everything adds up. The people at the till can often make a mistake if they're new to the job, especially at busy times.

I wouldn't bother going back, just keep hold of the receipt. It's not yours or your partner's fault afterall. When there are pump mix ups as also stated in this thread, in my experience the blame just goes to the petrol department and one of the supermarket deputy's tells them to pay more attention.

Soldato
Sorry, no.

A gift would have been acknowledged by the cashier and added to the receipt at £0.

She and the business have entered into an agreement for her to buy a pack of mints, in exchange for the same value these mints are advertised. At no point was any fuel included in this agreement.

It's not theft because she hasn't taken the fuel with intent to permanently deprive the garage of it, but now you have spotted the mistake, namely not buying the fuel, it would be theft if you don't compensate the garage.

If you are mischarged for an item, that is different, it's not a 'gift', you have merely agreed a different price with the seller, who cannot make you go back on this. But she wasn't mischarged.

exactly that.

I used to be work in a cash office for a big supermarket, part of the job was going over to the petrol station and check their money to make sure everything adds up. The people at the till can often make a mistake if they're new to the job, especially at busy times.

I wouldn't bother going back, just keep hold of the receipt. It's not yours or your partner's fault afterall. When there are pump mix ups as also stated in this thread, in my experience the blame just goes to the petrol department and one of the supermarket deputy's tells them to pay more attention.

which is a crock of **** in my experiance. rarely is it the cashier's fault.

Soldato
Sorry, no.

Failure to ask if the customer has had fuel constitutes acknowledgement of it as a gift according to the information I was given.

Yes it was, when the assistant authorised the pump to dispense fuel and then failed to charge for it.

Of course it's not theft.

No relevance, as you say, she wasn't mischarged.

Soldato
Yes it was, when the assistant authorised the pump to dispense fuel and then failed to charge for it.

the customer having read the price on the pump and agreed to pay. if the customer intended to take the fuel without paying that price, theft.

i was a supervisor in a service station forecourt for 4 years. What they are telling you is wrong.

Associate
Experienced cashiers usually have no problems. I did that job for a year, and it wasn't uncommon for new people to the job to foul up. But of course because this the internet, what I say is 'a crock of ****' because you say so.

Soldato
Experienced cashiers usually have no problems. I did that job for a year, and it wasn't uncommon for new people to the job to foul up. But of course because this the internet, what I say is 'a crock of ****' because you say so.

i say that because i was on the recieving end of it daily. a suprising (and i mean dumb-founding) about of people walk in without any idea of what pump they'd used, or even how much they'd filled up. When you confirm the pump number, the cost, even the colour of the car and somebody still will walk back and and say 'hang on a minute.....that wasnt my pump' then yes, its rubbish. im not talking about the odd person, im talking twice daily, like clockwork, people who told me, on the till, the wrong pump number.

i had a conversation with somebody once that went like this:

him: erm, its that one over there
me: what one?
him: over there, at the back
me: £30 diesel sir?
him: no, its over the back. the red van.....

There were 4 red vans on the forecourt. And he filled up on one of the middle pumps, not the back.

Also, suprisingly was the amount of times i got told the wrong pump number , but the amount was correct. For instance customer A fills up with £10 petrol, but pays for customer B's £10 of diesel. No problem, except customer B has a fuel card and cant pay for unleaded on it. You would think it was the easiest thing in the world, telling somebody a number. But it isnt;)

"was"... how long ago? Possible it has changed.

Of course it's equally possible I've been given a load of crock information too :D

about two years ago :) overworked and most definately under payed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Failure to ask if the customer has had fuel constitutes acknowledgement of it as a gift according to the information I was given.

The information you were given was wrong.

I used to tell trainees rubbish like this because it made them check!

Soldato
The information you were given was wrong.

I used to tell trainees rubbish like this because it made them check!

This wasn't a verbal instruction, it was part of the online training which is company wide, I find it had to fathom that a global company would knowingly supply false information in such a manner.

Soldato
This wasn't a verbal instruction, it was part of the online training which is company wide, I find it had to fathom that a global company would knowingly supply false information in such a manner.

If it reduces **** ups then I have no problem believing it

Soldato
Exactly, not everyone has common sense to think about these things.

A better analogy is the coal and things that are generally kept outside -would you ask everyone if they've taken any? There's no difference between the 2..

Soldato
A better analogy is the coal and things that are generally kept outside -would you ask everyone if they've taken any? There's no difference between the 2..

Never yet had to authorise coal before somebody could just take it so no, it's not at all a good analogy.

Soldato
OP
The GF works part time at a sports clothes shop. If any employee was to undercharge for an item they'd be held responsible and have to pay the difference out of their wage. I didn't call the petrol station today but I have the reciept and I think I might just leave it to find out if they contact me then I'll just claim ignorance and refund them accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom