Woo free petrol!

Soldato
Rubbish - authorising the pump is just a process for the cashier to confirm the person using it is safe, the correct age, not a known thief - its not an invitation to take it without paying!

Again, show me proof.

Just because the security guard in the front of Tesco doesnt stop you from entering the store, doesnt mean you don't need to pay!

He isn't responsible for taking payment either, unlike a fuel station assistant.

Don't get me wrong my common sense is with you on this, but until I get shown conclusive proof I'm going to stick with the training I and every other member of staff was given over internet opinions.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry about it too much if it was an older station. When I worked at Tesco I had to check the CCTV for a number plate. After spending an hour trying to get the system to boot, with the mouse and keyboard both working, 70% of the cameras were misaligned or pointing in completely the wrong direction, 25% were totally incapable of discerning what the vehicle model was let alone the reg, leaving 5% worthy of use.

Soldato
Again, show me proof.

What sort of proof do you want?

Why don't you use your common sense and question the training material you've been given? Ask for proof that the ridiculous sounding law/loophole/whatever is in fact correct.

It doesn't make any sense but if you think about it the reasons for it being there are pretty obvious.

Soldato
What sort of proof do you want?

Why don't you use your common sense and question the training material you've been given? Ask for proof that the ridiculous sounding law/loophole/whatever is in fact correct.

Without some sort of proof or evidence to the contrary all I'll get is a canned response.

It doesn't make any sense but if you think about it the reasons for it being there are pretty obvious.

I've already agreed to that.

Soldato
Here you go:

Sometimes a person who intends to drive off will come into the store after filling their tank, buy a store item and pay for this at the till without mentioning the fuel they have had, it's vital that you always remember to ask each customer who comes to the till if they have had fuel. Look at them when you ask, make sure they can hear you and that they respond to your question. Remember that if you don't ask a customer if they've had fuel they're not obliged to say they have taken fuel and can legally drive away without paying. So to avoid gifting customers with a free tank of petrol always ask if they've had fuel.

Edit: Removed audio clip as it'll probably get me into trouble...

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol at this thread, I'm guessing the term "gifting" is another word for failing to ask. I'm almost certain that it is not actually a "gift", it's like saying in football if you got gifted a goal for instance.

Who doesn't ask anyway.... it's just a safeguard, It's the people who walk away paying half the correct amount that **** me off.

Back
Top Bottom