Woo Hoo

Soldato
Dual boot..me...ha ha i can just about tie my own laces...nah its crunching only on that one so will just put xp on it, must admit the problems i have had since i started have been mostly of my own making but am learning more as time goes on. It'll be weird paying for a top notch rig then seeing that familiar windows xp logo :D

Soldato
Was going to move over to windows 7 on all my boxes but now opting for XPx64.

Question - If I format an existing seti machine, install a different version of windows (also a different seti client)

and give the pc the same name will it merge with the old i.d .....for sure ? - hardware spec as before.

Soldato
Dual boot..me...ha ha i can just about tie my own laces...nah its crunching only on that one so will just put xp on it, must admit the problems i have had since i started have been mostly of my own making but am learning more as time goes on. It'll be weird paying for a top notch rig then seeing that familiar windows xp logo :D

Try installing this on XP, used it many times giving peoples pc's a makeover, you will forget xp's installed almost :D

Edit: just noticed it says not for 64 bit edition :(

Last edited:
Associate
You can always dual boot and get the best of both worlds

Thats what I do :D

Possibly..
Have you worked out the draw on the cards (3 x 260) and then compared it to the spec of the hybrids. It's the amps they pull on the 12V rails that are the critical bit..

Thats the thing I have not checked.......

Will see what I can see after work tonight. (But no idea what the Amp draw is on the Hybrids & 260's - will the manufacturers info tell me?)

Associate
OP
EVGA Geforce GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition [http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1178-TR&family=GeForce 200 Series Family]

Requirements
Minimum of a 680 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 46 Amps.)

GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 - 55nm [ http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=896-P3-1257-AR&family=GeForce 200 Series Family or http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=896-P3-1255-AR&family=GeForce 200 Series Family ]

Both the normal and SC versions have the same info.

Requirements
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amps.)

Now make of that what you will cos its as clear as mud to me ;)

Soldato
If I remember rightly the wattage is a bit of a red herring, the key bit is the amps on the 12V rails.

I have a 305W psu running an OC2 8800GT - I can get away with it as I have plenty of amps on the 12V rail
If you total up the amps for your 3 cards, you get 128A, if you send me the power supply details, I will look it up for you..
Your 3 x GTX 260's were pulling 108A, so there is an increase, which might account for your no boot issue...

Associate
If I remember rightly the wattage is a bit of a red herring, the key bit is the amps on the 12V rails.

I have a 305W psu running an OC2 8800GT - I can get away with it as I have plenty of amps on the 12V rail
If you total up the amps for your 3 cards, you get 128A, if you send me the power supply details, I will look it up for you..
Your 3 x GTX 260's were pulling 108A, so there is an increase, which might account for your no boot issue...

I thought it would be a strecth for the PSU to be able to run everything:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-012-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

Also, on top of the GPU's, I have:
Motherboard: MSI P7N Sli Platinum
CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz (1.3V - I think)
RAM: 2 x Kingston 2Gb-DDR2 x Ram @ 800Mhz (2.2V)
4 x HDD's - sata
1 x HDD - ide
1 x DVD-RW - sata
2 x DVD-RW - ide
1 x Blu-Ray/DVD-RW Combi - sata
H50 CPU Cooler & Fan
5 x 140mm Fans & Zalman Fan Controller

Me thinks I need a bigger PSU - any thoughts on choices?

Soldato
Go with your earlier choice when you were compiling your ideal system thermaltake toughpower 1500w more than enough power for anything you might want to throw at it and around £200 solid :)

Associate
OP
Go with your earlier choice when you were compiling your ideal system thermaltake toughpower 1500w more than enough power for anything you might want to throw at it and around £200 solid :)
I've got the 1200W in the 295 rig so the 1500W will be more than ample incase you want to do anything stupid in the future ;)

Associate
1500W Silverstone Strider @ nearly £300

Yeah I just looked at that one.

Looks like I may be able to pick up the Toughpower 1500w for around £210 (delivered).

Might check the loft when I get in - I may have a spare 300w PSU I could use (as long as it can handle the Amps).

Maybe.....Maybe.....

Associate
Well, looks like it's not a PSU issue.........

I hooked up a second PSU and my rig STILL wouldn't boot with all three card in.

So I assume the Motherboard is stopping the boot-up.

All three card trying to draw too much power from it (motherboard)?

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
OK no idea if this is the same problem you had, but I had this with the P6T7, it might be a bios issue, try finding a newer bios or an older one if you can. Don't flash in windows! :)

I take you have tried all combinations of each card separately in different slots?

Associate
Tried all the variations in each slot.

The rig won't boot with the two hybrids and either of the GTX260 or 8600GT no matter what slots they are in.

Only thing I can assume is it is a power issue (of some sorts) as the rig was fine with 3 x GTX260's.

Will try an older bios over the weekend sometime - see if it helps. (No newer ones out).

But thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom