1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wooden Shed

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by tsinc80697, 3 May 2017.

1. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

I'm looking for a wooden shed and there seems to be various different types (overlap, shiplap, tongue and groove) as well as different thickness of the floor, roof and walls.

It seems that overlap is the basic cheap shed whereas shiplap/T&G are the more expensive end of the market. If they all come with a 10 year guarantee, is it worth paying more for the shiplap/T&G?

Are there any online retailers to steer clear of as the prices seem to vary between each.

Do sheds normally come with something to raise them off the ground slightly? I've seen that you can buy a pre-made base but I wasn't sure if they are for when the shed is on a specific type of ground? Is there any issue with buying a few pallets and knocking one up myself as they seem to be at least £75+ for a 6x4 base which seems daft!

2. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

3. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

I'll look at T&G then :)

Are they normally ok to erect yourself? I assume they come in a few pieces (walls/floor/roof) and not individual pieces of wood?

4. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

Mine came as floor, 4x sides and the roof as separate pieces. I put mine up myself and it was straightforward. The roof took longer than the rest combined.

5. Martynt74

Capodecina

Yeah. Easy enough to do. Get a mate over, few beers and done.

6. no idea what

Capodecina

I've been looking for a shed too, and looking at some old threads in here I found many people mention Tiger Sheds, they seems to have good prices and are very well rated. I'm opting for a shiplap one, they come with a proper base too.

7. Kennysevenfold

Sgarrista

Avoid overlap, useless things :)

Tiger sheds gets my vote too!

Raised batons that come with the shed will be more than enough if laid onto a decent base. Ideally slabs/concrete.

Will last a lifetime if not laid on grass/soil or anything that will soak up moisture and rot the base.

General OSB board can be a bit flimsy that is fitted to the floor, if you can get a thicker one as an option i would go for it.

8. BigBoy

Soldato

Tiger sheds, job done! Love you 8x6 shiplap so solid.

9. Badg3r

Gangster

Definately another vote on Tigersheds, really pleased with mine

10. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

11. Badg3r

Gangster

That is the one I have (7x5) you wont need a pre-made base if it's going on concrete. The shed has its own floor as jellybeard mentioned so it is raised slightly anyway.

12. planty

Wise Guy

I got a shiplap Tiger Shed a couple of months ago and can recommend as well. Easy to put up - ours went on a concrete base.

13. no idea what

Capodecina

Ordered mine today from Tiger Sheds :) 8x6 shiplap apex, should fit down the side of my house nicely. Quite looking forward to it! Those of you that have ordered from Tiger sheds, what sort of delivery time did you get?

Also any recommendations on a wood treatment?

14. BigBoy

Soldato

Think it was 4-6 weeks but only took 4 as they build to order. Did you opt for pressure treated?

15. no idea what

Capodecina

Quite a while but never mind, I'm away for a week from a week on Monday anyway.

I didn't see an option for pressure treatment. But quite happy to treat it all before assembly and keep on top of it.

16. planty

Wise Guy

Mine was delivered in 10 days. It came pretreated, worth treating/painting yourself within a month or 2 tho.

17. EddScott

Sgarrista

In the market for a shed - 10x8

Whats the difference with pressure treated shed and why are they much more expensive?

18. dark-knight

Gangster

Pressure treated involves the injection of a wood preservative inside the grain of the wood itself. This is usually applied inside a vessel where the preservative is introduced into the vessel under a positive atmospheric pressure +barg. The preservative is forced under the vessel pressure into the wood and thus gives better protection than if it was just coated in the preservative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed582Y2_pjk

19. EddScott

Sgarrista

Surprised how expensive sheds are.

My current one needs the roof repairing and some rotten panels at the bottom. Might consider repair rather than replace.

20. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

I'll be going for a Tiger Shed (6x4 Pent) from the good feedback I've read on here. Will build (or at least attempt to) it myself, hopefully fairly straightforward!