Work machines are slowwwww... and I can't figure out why??

Associate
Hi all,

So I've recently been helping out our infrastructure dept. with their projects, one of them being patching all our clients regularly etc.

This is my first exposure to our 'standard machines' and my god they're slow!

I know they're only corporate, mass produced machines, but they're i5's and i3's. I've had a look at running processes, nothing. I then thought it could be a disk issue but disk benches show average stats for a 7.2k disk.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look next? The system doesn't seem to be stressed at all, it's just not performing very well.

Just to clarify when I say they're running slow, I am referring to login times, app loads, general UI responsiveness.

Thanks guys!

Soldato
When I was at university, all the PCs had to load login profile, program data, personal files, etc from the university server, which while was fine during off-peak times, it became incredible slow and hard to use during school hours due to the amount of students on the network. So it could be similiar to this? Not enough bandwidth to the server and/or server not being able to cope with the amount of PCs communicating to it.

Could be the issue above, but maybe check the installed Program list and uninstall bloat ware such as HP Support and the like. Don't uninstall drivers and programs necessary for hardware however.

Associate
Try having local profiles rather than remote roaming ones. Makes a world of difference when logging in. No idea why apps would also be slow unless they too weren't local to the machine?

Caporegime
If someone thinks they are clever and turns on folder redirection for AppData and then also has a strange aversion to Offline Files then it can make any PC crawl.

Roaming Profiles are fine if you use them with Folder Redirection with sane settings for Offline Files and set it all up properly - it pulls from local disk and then syncs back to the network.

Soldato
Offline malware scan on one of the boxes wouldn't hurt either, just to rule that out.

If you log in as the local admin and the problems go away that's when you start troubleshooting network and domain problems. Rule out the easy stuff first.

Back
Top Bottom