Work Perks

daz

daz

Soldato
Try paying for tea, coffee, milk, sugar, boiling water for a year. Multiply that by everyone in your firm. It's expensive, and free stuff shouldn't be sniffed at.

We have a Flavia and are getting a fancy new bean to cup machine as well. Cost for those combined works out to nearly £5k. Running costs are just under £1k per month.

daz

daz

Soldato
As an employer I like to think we provide a nice place to work - we've moved in to a new office so we are in the process of modelling a nice break area with sofas, ping pong and a decent pool table. Nice kitchen space for preparing lunch etc. We have a relaxed working environment with no dress code as well.

We have a Christmas party coming up that works out to £100 per month which we're covering and at the end of every month we provide the food (usually a dozen or so pizzas or similar) and drinks for a gathering to get everyone together.

We also provide free gym membership. :)

As a young company (first employee started just under 3 years ago) and up to 50 now we want to create a good culture. It would be interesting to hear about what types of perks people really appreciate.

Soldato
Nothing overly amazing tbh.

Free airport parking (At Edinburgh)

We get slightly cheaper travel if we book through a certain company (Generally the hassle of it doesn't out weigh the benefits).

Shifts that never go over 8 hours.

Well paid overtime

Loads of time off (Taking in days off and annual leave I barely work 6 months of the year)

A nice view ;)

Soldato
As an employer I like to think we provide a nice place to work - we've moved in to a new office so we are in the process of modelling a nice break area with sofas, ping pong and a decent pool table. Nice kitchen space for preparing lunch etc. We have a relaxed working environment with no dress code as well.

We have a Christmas party coming up that works out to £100 per month which we're covering and at the end of every month we provide the food (usually a dozen or so pizzas or similar) and drinks for a gathering to get everyone together.

We also provide free gym membership. :)

As a young company (first employee started just under 3 years ago) and up to 50 now we want to create a good culture. It would be interesting to hear about what types of perks people really appreciate.

The free massages a couple of times a month help ;)

Though in terms of perks that I actually appreciate - the ability to work from home whenever I want, even if it's simply because 'I feel like it today'.

Relaxed working hours. It's 9-6, with an hour for lunch for me. More normal is 9-7 with 20 min for lunch. But if I want to, I can also leave at 5 or earlier on a day and come in at 9:30 - 10 without it being an issue. Though of course this is something in balance - if you do nothing but come in at 10 and leave at 5, that's not on, but if it happens once in a while, because you have something to do in the evening or missed the train etc., it's not an issue.

Free food is always a great perk :)

Soldato
I hear stories about how it USED to be working for my company in the glory days of print media. Now we get £20 each for our Xmas party and a few discounts at Halfords etc.

Associate
Flexi time
Ok pension
Work laptop to use at home, but only if you can run the gauntlet of suspicion from colleagues and managers about what you are really up to.
Overpriced food from the onsite canteen.
A top heavy structure where fresh ideas are discouraged and everyone has a seniority complex.

Soldato

One thing we would appreciate at the company I work for is finishing earlier on a Friday. More often than not, after 430pm there is nothing to do for the last hour.
I told our manager that Krispy Kreme Mondays would be a good thing. He said he didn't eat them so it was a no. He doesn't like paying for milk from petty cash as he has his tea black.
It depends on what your company does, staff discounts are handy for everyday stuff like food and drink but if you are a 'lifestyle coach' I can't see what you could offer.
Travel subsidies

Associate
Mobile phone contract paid for
Private healthcare
Gym discount
Discounts at major retail shops
Final Salary pension (although this wont last too much longer)
Pool/Pingpong/PS3/Xbox area
Subsidised canteen
Subsidised Cost coffee
40% discounted mobile phone contracts for friends and family
Home fibre broadband
Mobile broadband mifi device
Work laptop (not really a benefit i guess)
Flexible working times, you get to manage your own diary and as long as you get whatever needs to be done finished, you can pretty much work whatever hours you choose

I don't think I actually realised there were so many benefits till I listed them out.

Soldato
I work in Oil & Gas. Apart the usuals (15% extra salary as flex-benefits, health insurance, life assurance etc), we have free tea/coffee/lattes, free lunch, shuttle service to the nearby train station, every other Friday off if there is no bank holiday in between, staff fuel card, flexible working hours, ability to work from home, and a free Christmas dinner about to come up! (2 - one in the work restaurant and one at a nice restaurant down the road)

Soldato
You know that's illegal, right? :rolleyes:

Know - yes

Care - not a jot

Everyone does it in fact I'd say I'm one of the most honest cabbies going as I actually pay some tax so many of my colleagues are up to all sorts signing on and shifting a cab etc etc.

Need to claim a new pc this year for doing my accounts on do I need dual 780s for excel ? :)

One

One

Soldato
I just realised what my biggest perk is: there's a lot of attractive young girls that work here, and the best part, they have to talk to me because they work with me. Excellent.

Associate
tea, coffee, sugar and milk! free!
ummm.. they dont moan when I'm late into the office every day.
50% of professional development funded for.
final salary pension (probably worthless when the UK goes bankrupt, admittedly)

Associate
Use of work van when on call.
Paid overtime just to travel to work (I do work in France mind)
Company Mobile
Being the team leader means I do the rota.....this comes in very handy sometimes ;)

Soldato
Health care, denplan, pension, superfast internet, free vending machines, hot/cold drinks, fresh fruit baskets in workshop daily, unlimited milk for breakfast etc, gym membership, random gifts ie watches/clothing (company branded), free PPE (decent quality stuff), wicked xmas parties, unlimited commitment to personal development, generous holiday allowance, TDO (every other Friday off), sky tv in staff rest areas.

There is probably more but those are the perks that stick.

Back
Top Bottom