Workstation Needed

Associate
Post a build request a few months ago but life got in the way and didn't get around to ordering.

Laptop died yesterday so need to get back up and running with something soonish.

This is the spec i pulled together so far:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,553.24 (includes shipping: £20.40)​

Unsure on what graphics card to go for, was thinking of a 5700xt.

Machine will mainly be used for VM's with the occasional bit of gaming.

Current monitor is iiyama 34 inch ultrawide 1440p and 75Hz refresh rate. Was thinking of picking up a second iiyama 27inch 1440p or second ultra wide (this will be purchased separately).

Screen estate is more important than refresh rate for gaming for me. i am definitely a casual gamer, but have youtube/plex running whilst have a few browsers open and working in several VMs and would like it to run smoothly.

Would like it to be fairly quiet as its in my bedroom and is often on overnight.

I would like Wifi as im in rented accommodation and moving house in a month, so unsure if i will be able to run cables from the router to the PC.

I will be providing OS and budget i would like to come in at around or under 2K

Man of Honour
Don't get the 3900xt your just waiting money on a slight mhz increase.

Keep away from XFX 5700xt

5700xt is about 2070 performance so if Ray tracing is important nvidia may be he way to go.

Caporegime
Good mobo choice, would also swap the 3900XT for the 3900X.

I'd personally go 2x32GB over 4x16GB. 2x32GB kits have dropped to decent prices.

Likely to see new GPUs Sept/Oct if you can wait.

Soldato
What will be stored on the Seagate drive, if it's only games then thats fine, however if it's important work then it's a no.

The Seagate Barracuda is a consumer drive and you want something more reliable and faster, the following is better choice.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-4...formance-hard-drive-wd4005fzbx-hd-550-wd.html

Personally I use Western Digital Gold drives in my workstations & home servers (I'm a software developer), yes they cost more money, however it's still cheaper then the time lost rebuilding data, and those Seagate consumer drives have a terrible reputation.

Also, for a workstation the trick is to build a quite computer, the reason being you will near it for many many hours. You should be looking at an all metal case, with large fans that can run at low rpm, and ideally some included soundproofing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Post a build request a few months ago but life got in the way and didn't get around to ordering.

Laptop died yesterday so need to get back up and running with something soonish.

This is the spec i pulled together so far:
Total: £1,553.24 (includes shipping: £20.40)

Unsure on what graphics card to go for, was thinking of a 5700xt.

Machine will mainly be used for VM's with the occasional bit of gaming.

Current monitor is iiyama 34 inch ultrawide 1440p and 75Hz refresh rate. Was thinking of picking up a second iiyama 27inch 1440p or second ultra wide (this will be purchased separately).

Screen estate is more important than refresh rate for gaming for me. i am definitely a casual gamer, but have youtube/plex running whilst have a few browsers open and working in several VMs and would like it to run smoothly.

Would like it to be fairly quiet as its in my bedroom and is often on overnight.

I would like Wifi as im in rented accommodation and moving house in a month, so unsure if i will be able to run cables from the router to the PC.

I will be providing OS and budget i would like to come in at around or under 2K

same budget but 16 cores vs 12

Total: £1,505.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)

if you can find the aorus in stock, one of the best performing XT cards there is and has 4 yr warranty vs the 3 from other vendors.

As for vrm , aorus b550 is straight 12 phases, MSI is 12 via 6 doublers. Just trying to save some cash along with better UK RMA​

Soldato
It might be worth changing the cooler or looking at the performance of that cooler on that CPU. AMD recommend AIO or Custom Liquid cooling for that CPU. :)

The Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm gets great reviews and is only a fiver more. And it does have that little fan on the pump head that apparently does make a difference, however slight, to get air to the VRM.

The NVME is good a good drive but for a little extra you could get a Sabrent Rocket and that has a significant performance boost. It would also be dependent on if you would utilise that speed.

Soldato
It might be worth changing the cooler or looking at the performance of that cooler on that CPU. AMD recommend AIO or Custom Liquid cooling for that CPU. :)

The Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm gets great reviews and is only a fiver more. And it does have that little fan on the pump head that apparently does make a difference, however slight, to get air to the VRM.

The NVME is good a good drive but for a little extra you could get a Sabrent Rocket and that has a significant performance boost. It would also be dependent on if you would utilise that speed.

True about the rocket.. but I get told off a lot on here ... :(

Cooler should be fine. Personally hate those cheap CLC units as they are made so cheaply. If running a rig long term then you'd be on Air or custom water with Dual pumps for safety .

Dark rock 4 Pro can beat pretty much most CLC units and run longer before fail of the pump would etc .

16 core isn't that hot.. is when overclocked but compared to Intel's 8/10 cores... Cool runnings

Soldato
Rocket is a great drive for the money. Up there with performance and reliability of top tier drives at a reduced price.

I tend to use AIO over big air as transportation of a huge cooler is a nightmare with couriers even with expanding bags. Shouldn’t have an issue if it’s a home build.

You are right in regards to them lasting longer than an AIO due to less things to go wrong but if it’s a productivity workstation used for work purpose a lifecycle of 3 years for ROI should be more than sufficient with Most AIO products today.

Back
Top Bottom