World of Goo 1 year old today - Pay what ever price you want for it!

Associate
Some poeple are dellusional to think that if we would have all gone a long and gave $10-20 then every other publisher will do the same 'pay what you want' for there AAA games.

This is not going to happen, Developers make the games sell the games, once the game is no longer in demand it goes on special offer (like it was on steam) once no one want to buy it on special offer they either bin it or use it to gain cheap effecting advertising/marketing just like 2dboy have acheived.

This is not the first time a deal of this ty0pe has been done, nor will it be the last.

Soldato
Some poeple are dellusional to think that if we would have all gone a long and gave $10-20 then every other publisher will do the same 'pay what you want' for there AAA games.

Lucky no one here is suggesting anything remotely like that then.

Associate
After having played the demo just now, I have to say I'm very happy with it and I'll definately be throwing in a couple of quid, people spend more on iPhone apps to keep them entertained for a few minutes, why not spend something respectable on a PC game for the same concept?

Soldato
just a query, how many people buy the PC games they have on the rotating racks in supermarkets for £3 each, or even the 3 for £10 at the software stores, these are often games that are more often than not a year or 2 old which i know for a fact i walk past and don't even look at, most of a pc games life is probably within about 3 months of its release.

Therefore, my question is, if this game was sat n those rotating stands, would those who have bought it whether for $0.01 or $10 have even looked twice at it, i know i wouldn't, therefore, my conclusion is that 2dboy has succeeded much more this way than succombing his game to the £3 rack at Morrissons, customers are happy and so is publisher.

Soldato
After playing the demo earlier I went ahead and donated $5 for it, figured it was a decent amount for the amount of time I'll play it, only now I can't get onto their site at all so can't download it. Pretty cheesed off tbh.

Soldato
Finally got the email through this morning, well it could have been last night but I was asleep and installed it on the pc at work where the demo was. It remembered where I had gotten up to :D Will give it a good play at lunch me thinks.

Associate
I think that this is a great distribution model.

There are still plenty of people out there- as evidenced on this board alone, who are happy to contribute the worth of a programme, and those that do not (1 penny folk) are most likely the people that would pirate it anyway... so nothing there is lost.

For flagging games this is a great idea, and like others have said it certainly drums up interest in a product without cost. For example the Radiohead release that someone mentioned earlier was in the national papers for weeks, not to mention talked about across various parts of the internet.

Soldato
also this sort of deal will let people who normally wouldn't consider it (like me) a chance at playing it.

Exactly, some people are missing the point. Most of the people in this thread probably bought it because it was cheap, not because they really wanted to buy it.

Before the offer, people weren't sitting waiting for the price to drop, they probably didn't even know or care about the game; now they are probably on the developers mailing list and the developer got some money they wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

Back
Top Bottom