Worst place you have ever lived?

Soldato
Mirfield near Huddersfield.

Grotty little shack, crap schools and awful place in general.
For around that area it's OK, my parents house I part own is up the top end near old bank wmc, my daughter failed the grammar school test so went to Mirfield free grammar, as I did and she a Dr of science now, well scientist, they were brilliant, not enough green space though but my mum. And dad love it, just stay away from the skanky estates as a lot of place

Soldato
The 'batch' isn't referring to the number of rolls being sold but more the baking method, it's in the description:

"Batch baked for a light and soft texture."
They're baked in a set of six - that's your batch. See the definition of Batch:
a quantity or consignment of goods produced at one time.

Here's a handy bread roll map:

DHNGZ20UAAEo_7X

Associate
New Cross gate, circa 2000. Neighbours were tied to a chair, tortured, then set alight for not giving their ATM numbers to a gang of burglars.

Fair play, but you'd think at some point the sensible option would be to hand over the details. Were they ex-special forces? :D

Soldato
They're baked in a set of six - that's your batch. See the definition of Batch:
a quantity or consignment of goods produced at one time.

Here's a handy bread roll map:

DHNGZ20UAAEo_7X

That looks to be an absolute load of nonsense. A bridie and a buttery are not bread rolls in any way.

Soldato
There was an epic video recently of a brawl at a boxing night in a leisure centre. They do seem to attract the nutters lol.

They had a "cider festival" in the leisure centre once. Only once. The cider was gone by early evening, so they started fighting to pass the time until the police arrived.

Soldato
Fair play, but you'd think at some point the sensible option would be to hand over the details. Were they ex-special forces? :D

Yes, I get the impression they said that as a way of mitigating the fact they'd probably set fire to them for the fun of it, they were French students from Goldsmith's.

Wth is a buttery? lol A buttery roll? What complete bs.

I know, it's utterly Buttery right?

Soldato
Purfleet, Essex.

Rented a just finished new build, really nice, modern, spacious flat. There wasn't really much in the area other than a nice pub, an industrial estate and a train station. Other side of the train tracks was a horrific council estate, one of the worst in Essex, but it was far enough away from me that I didn't have to worry. Was quite comfortable there for the first 3 months... and then the landlord next door rented his place to the council. This was a new build flat, pristine, I was paying £750 a month for mine (18 years ago).

The guy that moved in was young, jobless, liked to stay home and get drunk but his Mrs was the worst. They were an awful couple, they would beat the **** out of eachother, not just him hitting her, but abuse both ways. I remember an ambulance being called when she glassed him... and they would argue all the time. She would scream obscenities at him at the top of her lungs, it would spill out into the corridor and into the outdoor spaces. Police were called at least 3 times a month, the worst neighbors you can imagine (even worse than my gypsy neighbor who stabbed me!). All came to a head when I caught him trying to break into my postbox to steal my post, we ended up in an altercation, luckily by this time I was at a point I could give notice on my tenancy and decided to move.

Soldato
Yes, and that's exactly the same reason they are called that in Coventry, the same as the Tesco ones:
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/heres-real-reason-batch-called-17645925
Yes, that's the origin, but that's still a different usage isn't it. Adjective vs noun. Basic stuff, here.

A single roll is called a Batch in Cov, whereas elsewhere it might be a batch of rolls. Batch in Cov means the roll, elsewhere it means it's baked in a set of other rolls

Associate
Yes, that's the origin, but that's still a different usage isn't it. Adjective vs noun. Basic stuff, here.

A single roll is called a Batch in Cov, whereas elsewhere it might be a batch of rolls. Batch in Cov means the roll, elsewhere it means it's baked in a set of other rolls

Well actually, if you say 'batch of rolls' then batch is a collective noun rather than an adjective :p

Caporegime
Mile End.

Looks like a decent London square these days : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5...144.77693&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192

I came down to London when I was 18 and had the misfortune of landing in Mile End, Tower Hamlets, in 1982. It was a shared house with anywhere between the six paying tenants and twelve or so on any given day. We had so many rats running about that they were considered pets. Two of the girls in the house decided to forge the landlord's signature on some documents and got all our room's locks changed and barred from use for a few days on one occasion. Another girl couldn't pay her rent and had to pay said landlord in kind on more than one occasion - a completely disgusting hairy 60 something that stank of ciggies I'll add. Some random bloke who was dossing with someone in the house decided to pick up a couple of stray dogs which ran around the place, shredding everything they could get their teeth into for a couple of weeks. The local laundrette always had a load of shady characters in, who looked like they were the leftovers from the Kray's gang. Everyone's locked cupboards in the kitchen were constantly broken in to and emptied. The house smelt of damp and weed all the time. Fights in the road and seemingly everywhere in the area were common place...going to get a local takeaway involved going with at least one other, lest you be randomly targetted. The Square pictured looked more like one of the night scenes from Apocalypse Now most of the time - bonfires, drug addicts and the occasional loud scream in the middle of the night, while bottles, cans, drug paraphernalia and an acrid burning smell met you in the mornings. All it needed was a patrol boat and some purple haze to complete it. Everyone that got on the train there seemed to have the same grey complexion and looked completely haggard and tired of life all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom