1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth an update 6800GT @ Ultra to 7800GS SIlent

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by danceMB, 4 May 2006.

1. danceMB

Wise Guy

At the mo I have a Gainward 6800GT @ Ultra speeds (Golden Sample).
    What id like to know is if its worth me selling this and buying a Gainward 7800GS Silent 512mb?

How much of a difference could I expect to see?

2. JonShannow

Associate

Well, I just upgraded my XFX 6800GT clocked at 400Mhz and 1100Mhz to the gainward 7800GS 512 MB (non-plus version) and I'm loving it so far.... Oblivion is much better at 1280x1024; on average 7-12 fps better outside in the grass (all on full).... with higher res textures etc....

Oh and my processor is a Athlon XP 3000+ clocked at 2100Mhz. For some reason my Battlefield 2 seems to be a bit slower tho (could be drivers)...

Oh, and it overclocks really well, mines running at 498Mhz and 1400Mhz...

Hope this helps....

3. danceMB

Wise Guy

When I was looking around I saw that the 7800 version has far better options that the 6800 series simply doesnt have. While the frame rate might not be a big increase, im sure you can turn up the other effects instead?

4. JonShannow

Associate

Well in oblivion 7-12 FPS increase is a big thing, especially when you consider the low fps it has to begin with. In heavily grassed/flowered/treed areas I could get as low as 9fps at times, now that same area is around 16ish. Makes a big difference. Also I can now run in with 8x Anisotropic Filtering on, Self Shadows on, Shadow filtering high, object distance Max etc. So, better frame rate + more eye candy on.... + having that extra texture memory has meant I can have every texture pack installed which does make a difference visually as well (longer loading times tho!).

In addition Farcry with HDR seems completely smooth now on most levels (was a bit jerky at times).

Anyway, Despite costing 250 quid and seeing as I only bought the GT 7 months ago I am very happy.

Just make sure you got a good PSU.... mines a Q-TEC and erm, occasionally it powers my machine off now playing Oblivion.....

5. Alexrose1uk

Sgarrista

errrr...*Shannow's machine blows up as Q-Tec finally dies*

Dear god...I'd recommend you change that asap before it dies...catastrophically.

6. fenderbass86

Wise Guy

7. Jenks

Associate

When i worked in technical services at the local hospital, some one brought in a Q-tec psu and he said it fried his mobo and asked if i could repair the Q-tec psu as it was exspensive and the shop where he bought it from highly recomend it saying it was one of the best psu's around lol.

8. Mattus

Capodecina

[​IMG]

9. JonnyGLC

Mobster

LMFAO :D

10. danceMB

Wise Guy

I only have the decent Tagan 480W which works perfectly for me and is very much recommended. If someone "recommends" something in a shop, I wouldnt bother listening to them, as they probably sell the rubbish stock to people that dont know better.

Anyways, im tempted to go for that Gainward card, especially with the price falling twice in the last week

11. danceMB

Wise Guy

Who else would be tempted with my spec?

12. gt_junkie

Sgarrista

Hi danceMB,

I reckon you just go for it! I think you'll be just fine with the Tagan. My mate had that same supply and it worked perfectly with his 6800 ultra. He had to change it when he got an x1900xtx but as the newer nvidia cards use less juice than the equivalent ati's your psu should cope very well! :cool:

If you think you'll get a decent performance hike and like the price then i'm sure you'll be a happy camper no matter what! ;)

gt_junkie

13. danceMB

Wise Guy

As long as I can find a home for my Gainward 6800GT first, then there wont be a problem, card should then last me until next year which is all im asking of my current rig that is starting to creak now, you know what its like lol.

Anyways, not really sure how much of a performance gain I will reach, but people do say there is a lot more flashy effects you can then activate, am I right?

14. pcknight

PermaBanned

Would it be a good upgrade to go from a 7800 GT 256mb to a 7900 GT 256mb?

15. easyrider

Caporegime

TBH not much point.

Unless you can push to a top end card.

7800 GT to 7900 GT is a nice upgrade but only if you clock that 7900 GT

16. pcknight

PermaBanned

Well, i would clock it. I wouldn't do any volt mods though. So it is worth the upgrade then?

17. easyrider

Caporegime

depends what you get for your 7800 GT.

I sold mine and got a 7900 GT for 50 quid more.

But moved on fast to a 7900 GTX.

18. danceMB

Wise Guy

How many people are still interested in the 6800 series of cards at the moment?

19. ACESHIGH

Mobster

Depends on the rest of your rig, really.
    Also how much you sell your 6800GT for.
    Generally my recommendation would be to go PCIE if possible.

20. danceMB

Wise Guy

I would probably sell for around £130-£135, only because its the Gainward special that lets it run on Ultra settings all the time, so its basically, a 6800 Ultra card.