Worth buying a new rig (pc probs)

Associate
Hello so recently Ive been having my first set of problems with my rig after nearly 6 years of having it, Ill link the spec down below and the problems and what not.

So recently ive had a lot of issues with what I presumed was my 2 gpus so I replaced it with a friends 970ti and that seemed to do the trick for awhile but shortly afterwards my computer seems to making a extreme amount of noise to usual and even before this happened it was getting loud a lot. Suddenly my computer crashed and wouldn't start again or even power on anything, after much messing around I got it to at least power on but the screens we're not showing anything or the keyboard/mouse we're not working either it seems. At this point im wondering if its even worth trying to fix this or just bite the bullet and buy a new rig, its a pity as my frames we're pretty good for what I was playing.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
CP-471-IN

MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Edition 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **NEW REVISION** GX-190-MS
x2

Gigabyte Z87X-OC Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
MB-434-GI

Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black
CA-143-CS

XFX Pro 850W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
CA-005-XF

Corsair SP120 Quiet Series High Pressure Low Noise - Dual Pack (CO-9050006-WW)
FG-010-CS

LG GH24NS95 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
CD-090-LG

Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gbs Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW)
HD-168-SA

Corsair Hydro H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler *Manufacturer Refurbished Unit - 90 Day Guarantee

Apart from this ive swapped the memory from a friends old pc which was 16gb corsair from my old 8gb and that seemed to run fin and ive added 2 Hdd's over the years.

Hopefully this makes sense and thanks for any help.

Associate
Hi Peter.

It's time to start testing I'm afraid. strip the system to minimum needed to boot and test components.
What concerns me is the noise more info needed on that.
Pc's are normally quiet.
The normal noise is fan bearing suck or worn would guess PSU. would swap that to test.
Capacitor whine GFX or mobo. Can visually check for damage and hear location.

I would remove the refurb water cooling and try with normal heat sync and fan to rule that out too.
Good luck with testing I wouldn't go for a whole system myself without finding the cause.

Associate
My first instinct is the cooler, making a lot more noise then shutting down points to an over heating problem. As it's an older aio it could be a dieing pump :(

Soldato
I too vote a cooler issue, a problem like this doesn’t warrant a new build, we just need to find the fault.

Remove all but one stick of ram (and try swapping them), remove the graphics card (connect monitor to on board), use only one monitor, remove any unneeded drives, remove any other pci cards. Start there.

If after this you can get into the bios, check temps.

You should be able to tell if the pump is running, but if you’re struggling you can pick up an Intel cooler for very cheap to see if it’s that.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I did want to get at least 7 years out of this pc before I spent again, I do have the funds for a new pc but it seems a pity to throw this away if its just one wrong bit.
I don't have a spare cooler at the moment in the house so ill pick one up from a friend tommorow then update you all on the results.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys, I did want to get at least 7 years out of this pc before I spent again, I do have the funds for a new pc but it seems a pity to throw this away if its just one wrong bit.
I don't have a spare cooler at the moment in the house so ill pick one up from a friend tommorow then update you all on the results.

No problem fella. There’s plenty you can be doing before then, have you started the process as we’ve suggested?

Associate
OP
Hey guys thanks for the replies. So I've tried multiple things out. I started out with taking my gpu out and using only 1 stick of ram at a time and I was getting it to turn and and all 4 sticks worked fine and together. I then put the gpu back in and it seemed to work with just the hdmi cable in, I then put the dvi and hdmi cable in to put both screens in and the noise started back and both screens would not come on and couldn't even get into the bios. tried a few more times and the card just seemed to stop working as well, tried sapping back to just the hdmi cable and it wouldn't work again and the noise from the pc was still loud as ever. I'm not sure if it's the cooler or psu making the noise, I applied new thermal paste to my cpu to try help and nothing and I tried my friend's cooler which is the same as mine and no results either.

Sorry for the slow reply, that's what I have up to now, I couldn't see the temps in the bios from what I could see but the one I did see seemed rather low at 26c.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Associate
Have you checked the two HDD's? Are they making any loud noises?
My HDD started failing recently and although Windows is on a separate SSD, it still prevented the pc from booting.

Have you been able to pinpoint the location of the noise at all? what area of the pc it is coming from.

I would have thought something like this would be either AIO pump or a fan, can you describe the noise for us so we have a better idea?

Soldato
My first suspect is still the cooler. Take the cooler out and shake the radiator. How much sloshing do you hear? How much fluid is left inside? The other possibility is that the pump on the cooler has failed. There's no substitute for using your ear to locate the source of the noise. Given that you've tried another cooler unfortunately it may be that you've cooked your CPU.

My second bet is the PSU. The additional load of the GPU may be pushing your PSU over the edge. It shouldn't but there may be a failed component inside. DO NOT OPEN THE PSU unless you know what you're doing. Again, just use your ear to determine if it's the PSU that's making the noise. It may just be that the PSU's fan is getting blocked by dust in which case a blow-out with compressed air should fix things.

My third bet is the motherboard. Check the motherboard for blown or leaking capacitors.

Associate
get a new psu...least u can transfer that to a new rig if u go for an upgrade..than some new HDD's...also can transfer to a new rif so not really loosing out in the end..that what i did with my old rig till all i ended up needing was chip, mobo & ram

Soldato
get a new psu...least u can transfer that to a new rig if u go for an upgrade..than some new HDD's...also can transfer to a new rif so not really loosing out in the end..that what i did with my old rig till all i ended up needing was chip, mobo & ram

I’m afraid I don’t agree, to me this is very bad advice.

Please, don’t just start buying random components hoping to fix the problem. Unless you need them you’re just throwing money away.

Soldato
I would take the side panel off, then turn it on and listen for where the noise is coming from. Obviously don't touch anything whilst it is on.

What kind of noise is it?

That machine is still very much relevant, with a GPU upgrade would still be top tier really.

Associate
OP
Hi all, I've tried disconnecting the hdds which didn't help with and without the gpu in. The cooler I'm using does sound like it's sloshing a bit on the inside and after trying the other one I'm sure that's causing the noise. I did take a look at my cpu and it does look really used at this point compared to the one I'm using in the spare pc. Was going to try and use the one in the spare pc but it doesn't seem to fit correctly. I'll upload a pic and video of what's happening for you all to get a better look.
All seems a bit odd as it was working last night even if only for a moment till I turned it off to connect the 2nd monitor.

Soldato
I have absolutely no idea what a ‘really used’ cpu looks like man, could you send a picture? I think you’re barking up the wrong tree.

Have you considered buying the stock intel cooler? It can be bought for about three quid and would confirm if the cooler is the problem.

Is the cpu overclocked?

Back
Top Bottom