worth getting a 2nd hand Quest 1 ?

Underboss
now the Q2 is available

looked on auction site for a Q1 at sold listings, seem to be cheap now

now its falling in a price bracket that i could get (2nd hand) is it worth getting one, even though I have no space in my room to use it?

Soldato
Prices seem a bit variable but circa £175-£230 used?

Its difficult for anyone else to make the call, only you know your circumstances and budget.

If its a case of getting a Quest 1 or nothing, then get the Quest 1. If you can stretch to the Quest 2, then it's worth it.

Why do you want one if you don't have space? If you're only playing seated games on PC (no room for roomscale) then I wouldn't get a Quest 1.

Soldato
Its tough to give advice because i dont want to put you off if youre budget limited. But if you did get a Quest 1 and took to it, i think youre likely to want to upgrade fairly quickly (i did). You might be able to resell it for what you bought it for though, near enough, if you did want to upgrade later.

Soldato
hmm

i done it mirror method, comes out roughly 60mm
im practically blind, but my right eye is even worse, my pupil is a lot smaller, , and its difficult to read the ruler !

So we have a rough Estimate of your IPD at anywhere between 55 and 70 :p

With the Original Oculus Quest you can adjust the IPD to exactly match your IPD, The Quest 2 three IPD positions covers a range of IPDs which doesn't work for some people.

The Quest 2 has more room for Glasses and comes with a Glass spacer.

Quest 2 is more comfortable, better picture, better sound and will be the focus of developers going forward.

Don't worry about space, as long as you have enough room to stand up and swing your arms you can make it work. Plus there are a good few seated experiences. And, there is more to do in VR than play games. Watching movies is one. Micro Monsters Narrated by David Attenborough is a must watch.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would save for a little longer and get a Quest 2.

Have you tried VR before at all?

Soldato
never tried it

Well, if you are on a Strict budget the Original Quest will probably blow your mind. And if you are itching to try it, £130 would be a pretty cheap point of entry.

What I said about space in the previous post, counts for the Oculus Quest as well.

I would suggest you buy one or the other. VR is awesome and life is too short.

Associate
Looks good - have you got this exact one, and is it comfortable?

This wasn't out when I had a OG Quest, I spent a fair bit trying to mod mine into a 'comfortable' state before eventually returning it and getting a Rift S.

I've ordered it for the Quest 2 so can report back, the Quest 2 is 70 grams lighter mind you.

Associate
This wasn't out when I had a OG Quest, I spent a fair bit trying to mod mine into a 'comfortable' state before eventually returning it and getting a Rift S.

I've ordered it for the Quest 2 so can report back, the Quest 2 is 70 grams lighter mind you.

Ah great - I'll look forward to hearing about it. I'm still on original Quest 1 strap, can cope with it but I'd welcome more comfort. If anything to stop the massive red mark you get on your face after a decent session and the pressure the original strap puts on your head - can be headache inducing sometimes lol.

Soldato
That headstrap looks good, cheaper than the Elite Strap as well.

Like 2004typer, I will be waiting to hear how you get on with it :)

Soldato
I've ordered one for my quest 2 as well, but I don't have the right powerbank (pain in the arse that the jungle won't deliver powerbanks to me). So I'll be trying it without the counter balance at first, may try and bodge something together though.

Soldato
I've ordered one for my quest 2 as well, but I don't have the right powerbank (pain in the arse that the jungle won't deliver powerbanks to me). So I'll be trying it without the counter balance at first, may try and bodge something together though.

Just plug your phone in when you are playing :p

Back
Top Bottom