Worth getting a Wii now?

Caporegime
Out of interest - how many of the games mentioned in this thread have you played?

Super Mario Galaxy - Just excellent, although irritating camera at times
Mad World - really disappointing, camera is dire and the game is very repetitive.
Zack and Wiki - loved it, motion stuff felt a little tacked on but the game was great fun
Wii Sports - fun for an hour, but as deep as a flash game
Wii Sports Resort - far better, spent ages playing the flying game
WALL-E - shocking (my mum bought this one :p)
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - not bad
Wii Play - shocking

those are the ones we own, I've played others like No More Heroes, Mario Kart, SSBB and Warioware elsewhere.

Soldato
It doesn't sound like you've spent a lot of time with the machine tbh. I've probably spent 100s of hours playing Wii Bowling alone. The same with Boom Blox and various other games - whenever we have 4 or more people in the house the PS3 and 360 don't get touched. You really should play the Prime trilogy btw, even if you played 1 & 2 on the GC - the controls (in expert mode) are superb. Revisting the original has been a highlight of this gen.

Not including the party game stuff, I find it hard to pick between the 3 consoles when it comes to exclusives.

Soldato
The OP implies he'd never played RE4, and the Wii version is probably the best of the lot (even though it does make it easier).

In fairness, you don't exactly appear to have played the best selection of Wii games available. Okami, Paper Mario, Metroid, Zelda, House of the Dead, Lost Winds are all good games. I'm not saying the Wii's a permanent games fixture like a 360, but it's still got titles worth looking at.

Associate
I think the Wii has some very enjoyable games out there, although i find they're few and far between compared to the massive majority of mediocre titles that line its back catalog.

Ill admit my Wii hasn't seen action for a while, although its not through any lack of interest, I've just found the other consoles have taken over my time lol.

The Wii has allot of good things going for it (ofc it has its downsides) and actually makes a nice change to the 360/PS3 (if you own one or both), it has allot of niche titles that are actually pretty good if you want something different from the stuff that you see on the other consoles.

Just as a highlight, i used to have fantastic fun with a friend blasting things in the various on rails shooter style games. (Umbrella Chronicles, HOTD titles, Ghost Squad)

Associate
i bet by the time i get around to buying a Wii they will release the next generation console lol. my sister has one, i liked it but its very tiring with the sport games(boxing etc)

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the slow reply, anyways while there are pro's and cons I went for this, was a great price and the shop even threw in an old charging station and gamecube memory card for free :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! Currently sinking my time into Mario Galaxy, and going to now have to pick up 2 on Friday :D

Jcb33.

Associate
If you can get over the SD graphics, there are several quality titles available.

I would second Little King's Story, which has been very addictive over the last couple of months to the point where my 360 and it's AAA titles have been left abandoned. I can't give a higher recommendation than that and you'll find it for peanuts on Ebay.

Again, World Of Goo was a revelation with the wii controller after having spent hours with the PC version.

The console has it's obvious weaknesses, but it's tremendous value if you buy the right games.

Soldato
So you're the other person who bought Little King's Story! It really is criminal how underrated that game is - I had to remind myself it wasn't a first party Nintendo game throughout. Shame about the lack of 480p.

Graphics wise, I think main problem is most gamers have large flat panels that struggle with anything standard def. On a CRT - especially one that supports component - Wii games look fine.

Soldato
I bought a Wii on released played it for a month then put it back in it's box never to play it again. I still have it. Then I bought a 360 and PS3 now I feel like I'm playing real games consoles again.

It might sound mad but even though the Gamecube did so badly last Gen from a person that's gamed all his life I think for me the Gamecube was better.

Soldato
So you will leave the Wii in its box while Galaxy 2 is out tomorrow :eek:

(it's staggeringly good btw. I have all the consoles and struggle to think of a PS3 or 360 game that matches it)

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Wii is exceptional fun, but only if you're playing with other people.

If you're going to be mainly playing on your own, I wouldn't get one.

Soldato
Like you, I wanted one to complete the set.. However I now regret doing so. I am going to say steer clear of the Wii. It looks really awful compared to the PS3 & 360, and the low def gfx are painful to look at on my TV. Plus Nintendo have some horrid policies in place such as not being able to transfer your VC titles from one machine to another. You'll also spend an absolute fortune on controllers. All in all you do not get your money's worth. I'd wait for the PS3 move..

More consoles doesn't mean more fun.. Actually quite the opposite, you are only spoiling yourself and you'll have less appreciation for what you already have..

Soldato
More consoles doesn't mean more fun.. Actually quite the opposite, you are only spoiling yourself and you'll have less appreciation for what you already have..

What tosh. As a fan of great games, not playing Galaxy 2 is like a movie fan not having seen Jaws, or Star Wars. It's the best thing i've played this gen fullstop.

As for looking crap - pick up a dirt cheap crt and be surprised how good Wii games can look.

Soldato
What tosh. As a fan of great games, not playing Galaxy 2 is like a movie fan not having seen Jaws, or Star Wars. It's the best thing i've played this gen fullstop.

As for looking crap - pick up a dirt cheap crt and be surprised how good Wii games can look.

What's that? Just add a CRT to the additional plethora of controllers you''ll also need.. :rolleyes:

Soldato
We've always had to buy extras - wireless on the 360 cost ~£60 (I still feel sore about that), fight sticks, light guns, extra pads. This is nothing new. My mate gets by with one wiimote, nunchuck and now motion plus. And of course, you don't need a crt, the Wii simply looks best on one.

Back
Top Bottom