Worth getting a Wii now?

Soldato
We've always had to buy extras - wireless on the 360 cost ~£60 (I still feel sore about that), fight sticks, light guns, extra pads. This is nothing new. My mate gets by with one wiimote, nunchuck and now motion plus. And of course, you don't need a crt, the Wii simply looks best on one.

Yeah but having to buy back into 10 yr old technology just to make the thing look right ! = Steer well clear.

It looks so ghastly on my 50" plasma that to me personally, its unbearable to watch... and there's NO f'ing way I'm putting a pile of crt poop in my living room just to play the thing.

Soldato
Same with standard def tv and dvd tbh. This ten year old tech does sd much better than any plasma/lcd. Yes, i'm a die hard crt fan - crt for wii/tv/dvd, projector/plasma for HD.

Associate
What's that? Just add a CRT to the additional plethora of controllers you''ll also need.. :rolleyes:

Lol what. The vast majority of wii games only need the remote and nunchuck, provided with the console. If you want spares they aren't exactly more expensive than other consoles.

As for all the graphics malarky, i play my wii through component on my lg tv, it's hardly unrepresentable and looks fine. Cutting edge visuals aren't the be all and end all of games (emphasis on the word game).

Soldato
I suspect you'll find most Wii owners have a couple of Wiimotes and Nunchucks and that's it. A few will have the odd GC/classic controller and motion plus too. I regularly play 4 player on the Wii and friends bring their Wiimotes/ nunchucks/motion plus with them.

Wii peripherals costing an arm and a leg is a poor argument.

Soldato
OP
Well I managed to get a second set of controlers prety cheap, wanted red steel 2 and it was on sale with the motion+, got a discount on the Wii Mote as it was pre-owned and had no battery holder, just a rechargable pack and the nunchuck was also second hand at sale price so ended up getting a full set of controlers for £30 :D.

Jcb33.

Associate
hm maybe im missing something but i'v been playing SMG2 on my 37" LCD through component tonight and it looks just fine, suprisingly clean really. It might not be 'high def' and you can see some fuzz but it doesnt hinder the beauty of the game :) ... certainly dont see a need to try CRT

looks just like this for me
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sky-station-super-mario/64812?type=flv

Last edited:
Caporegime
*Opens up random online store*

Wii - £150

3 x Wii Remote - £64
3 x Nunchuck - £24
3 x Motion Plus - £45
4 x Classic Controller - £48

= £181

The vast majority of people don't need classic controllers, so I think it's disingenuous to include that. Otherwise you may as well argue that the 360 is a rip because 4 racing wheels will cost 300 quid.

Soldato
Soldato
Surely it depends on how far you sit back and how well the screen handles sd? Not as good as HD content, sure, but nasty? Galaxy 2 is less prone to the jaggies seen in the first Galaxy btw. It is a very good looking game.

Soldato
The vast majority of people don't need classic controllers, so I think it's disingenuous to include that. Otherwise you may as well argue that the 360 is a rip because 4 racing wheels will cost 300 quid.

Yes they do, otherwise the Wii is only partially capable without them. What Nintendo should have done is designed the controller so that we wouldn't need all these extra bolt-on's. But then they wouldn't get the chance to fleece us all, would they.

Nintendo is the most evil of corporations. It's mission is to squeeze every last penny out of the un-suspecting public. Perhaps the same can be said for most corporations, however it's just that Nintendo go about it in a different way. Having to rebuy your VC download titles as a prime example. They just care about the money and unwilling to give in return. It's reasons like this that I'll happily NOT recommend the Wii all day long.. Oh not to mention crap graphics, non-HD, old technology, moving backwards when we should all be moving forwards, & the need to bolt on every conceivable contraption to play the thing.

I unfortunately have two Wavebirds, two classics controllers, 3 Wii Remotes, 3 nunchuks and ummmmm last but not least, 3 motion plus add-on's... All of which are a waste, cos I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm going re-buy all my VC's after losing them on swapping out my old Wii for my new one.

Soldato
1 GC pad for 6-7 quid ish? Maybe 2 pads.

I agree with vonhelmet, and doubt most Wii owners download anything from the virtual console (which somewhat explains the criminal lack of support for Lost Winds!) and need anything more than a couple of Wiimotes/Nunchucks. Unless you have an army of kids who all demand a motion plus, peripherals for the Wii won't cost much. 2 pads and the wireless adapter for the 360 cost me more than the extras purchased for the Wii.

Back
Top Bottom