Worth getting a Wii now?

Associate
1 GC pad for 6-7 quid ish? Maybe 2 pads.

I agree with vonhelmet, and doubt most Wii owners download anything from the virtual console (which somewhat explains the criminal lack of support for Lost Winds!) and need anything more than a couple of Wiimotes/Nunchucks. Unless you have an army of kids who all demand a motion plus, peripherals for the Wii won't cost much. 2 pads and the wireless adapter for the 360 cost me more than the extras purchased for the Wii.

Indeed, unless you have a family with lots of kids i can't see the majority of wii owners having 4 of each, unless you really want to be prepared.

As you say for the 360 the wireless adapter costs £60 which is very expensive (ironic the wii has this functionality built in and a Microsoft console doesn't mmm).

I'd quite like to see the prices for Natal and Playstation Move when they're released. I bet that will add up fast for the equivalent functionality.

(Own and enjoy all 3 main consoles btw, before fanboys pounce)

Associate
The vast majority of people don't need classic controllers, so I think it's disingenuous to include that. Otherwise you may as well argue that the 360 is a rip because 4 racing wheels will cost 300 quid.

I included it because, as it has been said, it is needed (or a GameCube controller - which you shouldn't assume people just have) to play some VC games. Since it is required for some games and as they are on the VC there isn't any bundle available (well, except now Monster Hunter Tri), I class that you need it to get the full Wii experience.

The "disingenuous" list would be what I said plus:

3 x Wii Wheel - £18
1 x Wii Balance Board - £40 approx as bundled (but massively adds to price of game)
1 x Wii Zapper (for which you have to get Link's Crossbow Training... again!) - £18

Caporegime
I included it because, as it has been said, it is needed (or a GameCube controller - which you shouldn't assume people just have) to play some VC games. Since it is required for some games and as they are on the VC there isn't any bundle available (well, except now Monster Hunter Tri), I class that you need it to get the full Wii experience.

The "disingenuous" list would be what I said plus:

3 x Wii Wheel - £18
1 x Wii Balance Board - £40 approx as bundled (but massively adds to price of game)
1 x Wii Zapper (for which you have to get Link's Crossbow Training... again!) - £18

That's ******** and you know it.

Associate
Let's split this up nice and easy:

Wii Remote
Nunchuck
Motion Plus

These are all included in the default Wii bundle, and as the basic gaming experience. If you buy a Wii you can play all games single player... except for:

Wii Wheel
Wii Balance Board
Wii Zapper

While these cost money, their purchase is required at point of sale. A Wii Wheel with Mario Kart etc. So you can, again, at least get a full single player experince.

Classic Controller

The Wii, out of the box, REQUIRES this controller for SOME games available (who cares where they come from? They are ready for purchase!). It does not come with the Wii. Therefore, unless you are buying Monster Hunter Tri, this is a controller you must buy in order to play certain Wii games.

You seem very blinded towards what Nintendo are doing. High margin plastic peripherals = profit. Not saying this is bad for gaming at all but it certainly gives Nintendo a monetary incentive to keep at it.

Soldato
That's ******** and you know it.

No, he's right. Just as you can't get the full 360 or ps3 experience without 4 pads, 2 Tournamnet Edition Fightsticks, 2 steering wheels, a few light guns and complete Rockband instrument kit. Soon add Natal and Move to the lists :eek:

Associate
I think everyone here has very different ideas of what is considered 'the essentials' for gameplay and i get the feeling its being influenced by the gaming activities of each individual player tbh.

I'll agree that most of the Nintendo peripherals are just mindless plastic because of the way that they designed their console and controller but stuff like the Wii Wheel and Wii Zapper, buying their equivalent on other consoles has always been expensive.

Just a quick look on the net, Wireless Steering Wheel for the 360 £70. Granted its not a hunk of plastic but it operates with the same pull as the wii version (feel like you're driving) although allot more sophisticated. I still wouldn't splash out £70 on something like that. All of the game companies bump up their prices on peripherals, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo they're all the same.

Caporegime
Don't forget the 360 uses more power, so your leccy bills will be higher. On the other hand, the Wii can't play DVDs so you'll need to buy a standalone player. There again, the 360 is much bigger so you'll need to buy a bigger AV cabinet.

Associate
Some of you guys take things a little too seriously. The great thing about all three consoles is that you can buy many many great games second hand very cheaply. One benefit the ps3 has over the other consoles is the Bly ray disks are very hard wearing. I own a ps3 And a wii and they're both great for different things. It's all good!!!

Associate
PS3 and to a greater extent Xbox 360 can use monitors so you don't necessarily need a HDTV and Wii lasers are pretty poor stuff I wouldn't bother with DVD playback personally even if legit.

Back
Top Bottom