Worth getting telly fixed?

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I have a pioneer 55 inch which had a white spot appear on the screen. I went over gave it a rub and squeezed the TV and heard a clatter at the back of the TV a d now I have 3 white spots lol.

My google search says they are broken leds. Is it worth getting fixed? The telly is about 5 years old.

Soldato
Unless you have some sort of warranty on it then No. Chances are if you do have the repair person will write it off as uneconomical to repair anyway. TV tech moves as fast as PC tech these days, use this as an excuse to buy new & 4k if you can afford it.

Caporegime
I have a pioneer 55 inch which had a white spot appear on the screen. I went over gave it a rub and squeezed the TV and heard a clatter at the back of the TV a d now I have 3 white spots lol.

My google search says they are broken leds. Is it worth getting fixed? The telly is about 5 years old.

Pioneer stopped making TV's a long time ago iirc. Like over a decade ago iirc.

Man of Honour
Definitely not a Pioneer:
1) Don't think they ever made a 55" - that's an LCD/LED size
2) They never made LCD for the UK market (or anywhere else AFAIK)
3) Pioneers were all plasma, and the screen surface for plasma is rigid glass rather than flexible plastic for LCD/LED

All that's on top of the age for the screen as @Psycho Sonny said.

What ever your LCD/LED TV make is, if you've lost pixels then the screen is cabbaged and unrepairable.

The clatter you heard was likely to be one of the screen support pegs being pushed out of place. It's time for a new TV.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
Your right it's Panasonic, damn my poor memory! I need a second tv for my mancave so It's not going to cost anything to get a quote.

Man of Honour
It might not cost anything to get a quote, but honestly, you're peeing in to the wind. The LCD panel is the single most expensive part of the TV, and the most commonly damaged.

The economics of TV retail makes it cheaper to buy a new TV than to replace the panel in an older set. It's crackers, I know, but there it is. The cost of spare panels plus the inventory storage costs and shipping and labour all add up to a total cost that is close to- or even exceeds the price that new TVs have fallen to. Doing something for small quantities of repairs just can't compete with the economies of scale of new TV production.

Get your quote, but don't be too surprised when you see the total.

Associate
Also keep in mind when / if it is repaired how long its likely to last (other things going wrong) vs getting a replacement / new tv with warranty etc

Back
Top Bottom