• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading mobo and RAM for my CPU

Soldato
Ryzen 1600AF. Currently using a Gigabyte A320M mobo and 16GB of DDR4 2400. Do you think going for something based on B450 and upgrading to 3600 DDR4 would be a worthwhile difference?

I'm happy enough with my current setup, but the A320 offers next to nothing in terms of tweaking and anything I can change just causes immediate system instability. I can't even use XMP on the RAM without it crashing games.

However, I play 1080p and everything works fine at stock and performance is fine. Just wondering if changing the mobo and RAM would give a worthwhile performance boost...or nothing to write home about.

Thoughts?

Associate
I switched from an A320M-H to a B450 Tomahawk Max.

I prefer the larger motherboard as it's easier to work with. It also has 2x RGB headers, 4 system fans ( i think the a320 only had one ) and has heatsinks built into the mobo... 2 More ram slots etc so for me it was an excellent upgrade for only about £100
I also went from 2x8GB 2400mhz ( overclocked to 3000mhz ) to 4x8GB ( 3600mhz ) mainly for RGBs and future proofing. Don't think it made much difference other than for multi tasking

Oh and it also has a pump header for an aio

Associate
Ryzen 1600AF. Currently using a Gigabyte A320M mobo and 16GB of DDR4 2400. Do you think going for something based on B450 and upgrading to 3600 DDR4 would be a worthwhile difference?

I'm happy enough with my current setup, but the A320 offers next to nothing in terms of tweaking and anything I can change just causes immediate system instability. I can't even use XMP on the RAM without it crashing games.

However, I play 1080p and everything works fine at stock and performance is fine. Just wondering if changing the mobo and RAM would give a worthwhile performance boost...or nothing to write home about.

Thoughts?

Your bottle neck is the gpu not the cpu, motherboard etc. Your best upgrade is a gpu, you will need to find one that can work on your power supply. Also one that is in stock at a good price, so that might not be this year

Man of Honour
I wouldn't bother. As a rule I never replace RAM, only add to it, and never replace working motherboards except when I had a use for the old one. And switching out the mobo is just a bit of hassle. The gains from doing this will be minimal, you'll be sat there thinking OK I've just spent £150+ for slightly better cpu boost and ram speed that you won't really notice, at the end of the day you'll be running the same GPU and CPU.

What you'd probably find if you did this upgrade would be you'd have a mobo and RAM sitting around doing nothing unless you found a buyer, but people interested in second hand gear that was budget to start with are not going to be paying top dollar. And so you might think oh, I should get a CPU to put in here, then i've got another system. By which point, you may as well have left it all together, and just bought a new mobo/cpu/ram combo all together!

Back
Top Bottom