1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Worth upgrading to an X1800XT?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by chief barker, 31 Jul 2006.

1. chief barker

Mobster

Just a quick question, I currently have a 7800GTX (running @ 490- 1.28) considering that I can get £180 pounds for it from a friend, is it a worthwhile to buy the X1800XT. (If so, which one)

I have a P4 presscot CPU running & 3.4, a 460W paxpower psu.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bitchplz

Banned

No point really :p

3. realscot

Wise Guy

Well the X1800 is suppose to be faster than a 7900GT so i'd say yes. If you get the one in this week only you'll still have enough change from your mate to slap an Artic Cooling Accelero X2 Cooler which is quieter than the stock cooler. Should manage the delivery too for what your selling your GTX to your mate for.
    Remember and use driver cleaner to get rid of the Nvidia drivers unless you intend to do a reinstall.
    IMO slight improvement for free = worth it.

4. Tetras

Mobster

Wouldn't bother myself, performance and price so close that it isn't worth farting around with the drivers and swapping the cards over. If it was an X1900 XT then maybe :p

5. chief barker

Mobster

Thanks for the repiles, I think I will just keep saving for the new rig i'm planning for the summer 07.

6. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Yeah the x1800 XT is faster than the 7800 GTX, and has the advantage of AA+HDR, but as said above its not worth the hastle of swapping drivers etc... and the 7800 GTX is still a good card that should be throwing your games around at high fps anyway. :)