• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worthwhile upgrade

Associate
Hi guys, got a system from 2006 that I'd love to invest in and spash the cash but as less and less time gets spent on the PC I cant really justify it.

I currently have an Athlon 64X2 4800 overclocked to 3.00GHz.

As its AM2 I was thinking of upgrading the processor (have 4870 gfx card and 4GB ram so runs most games at a decent level of detail aready).

Would the Phenom X4 9850 be a decent enough upgrade? Would i notice the difference in for example H264 encoding - which is the real driver here to upgrade if I'm honest.

Been a while since I looked into this sort of thing - worried the FSB would be a bit low - cant remember what mines is set at but could always bump the multiplier?

Does anyone have any advice about the processor - does it run hot - will by giant zalman copper beast do the job (cnps9700)

Thanks all!

Associate
It's an ok cpu for it's price.

If you overclock it, you'll get a decent boost/

Encoding benefits a lot from more cores.

If you want a massive improvment though, you should consider an i7 (that would require a completely new pc though) or see if you can upgrade your mobo and get the new six core AMD cpu.

Soldato
What is the make/model of your motherboard?

This will determine how new a CPU you can install in your system. If you are lucky it will be a well supported board that can use even AM3 CPUs like the Hex cores mentioned above.

Associate
OP
its a foxconn c51xem2aa, been meaning to check out the compatability but keep forgetting :p

Its AM2 only unfortunately, so without getting a whole new motherboard etc its a no go - really wanted a cheap and worthwhile upgrade, so isnt it worth it then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom