Would it be a driver issue why one of my usb 3.0 ports isn't working on my Ideapad 510?

Associate
Hi, I have a Lenovo ideapad 510, if you know that laptop then there is 1 x usb 3.0 port on the left and 1 x usb 3.0 & 1 usb 2.0 port on the right, i am assuming anyway lol both ports i am guessing are usb 3.0 have a blue port and one on the right is black so I’m thinking I’m right?

Anyway, the issue is the usb 3.0 port on the right side, if i connect an external usb drive to this port nothing happens, the icon for safe to remove doesn't show and the drive doesn't show in my computer, if i connect the same drive to the usb 2.0 port on the right or the usb 3.0 port on the left the drive shows fine.

The usb 3.0 port that won’t show drives on the right will connect other devices though such as my usb mouse etc so it obviously is connecting.

I have tried 2 different external drives in the port that doesn't show them and both would not show.

I recently bought an SSD drive to replace the standard hdd that come with my laptop and when cloning the drives i could not connect the ssd to that port either to do the transfer.

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this port that won't connect external drives as it is the port i would want to use.

Thanks

James

Soldato
Create a bootable USB device, such as a USB flash drive with Windows 10 setup. Do you seen this when choosing a boot device as soon as you turn the laptop on? If so, then it could be a driver issue.

If you don't see anything, I would assume that the port is faulty or disabled in the BIOS.

Associate
Could be a power issue. That port might not put out enough amperage to power your storage devices, but enough to power lighter devices like a mouse. You could grab a cheap USB port tester from eBay.

Back
Top Bottom