Would the WDTV Live work with Powerline adapter??

Associate
Hi guys

I have a WDTV Live currently connected to an external hard drive, but I want it to connect to my home network. Unfortunately it is nowhere near my router and so running a cable isn't an option. I've seen these powerline adapters where the connection runs through the plugsocket - seems impressive but does anyone know if this would work with the WDTV Live?

So it would basically be WDTV Live into Powerline adapter at one end, and at the other end it would be the other Powerline adapter into the router, right?

Thanks

InQ

InQ

Associate
Yes it'll work fine, assuming the Homeplugs run on your house wiring ok as i've read some people struggle. Suck it and see.
You'd want to be getting the 200mbit plugs at least.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
my PS3 streaming 1080p over powerline from my PC on 200mbps adapters stuttered and dropped frames. My HTPC doing the same from my main PC using the same plug in the same location worked a-ok.

I'd say it probably will, but depends how much of an overhead the device uses (i assume it was overhead which caused the PS3 to stutter)

You'll need the 200's as some said, because the throughput is gerrnerally a lot lower than advertised. I get about 30mbps with my 200's.

InQ

InQ

Associate
my PS3 streaming 1080p over powerline from my PC on 200mbps adapters stuttered and dropped frames. My HTPC doing the same from my main PC using the same plug in the same location worked a-ok.

I'd say it probably will, but depends how much of an overhead the device uses (i assume it was overhead which caused the PS3 to stutter)

Are you sure your PC wasnt transcoding the 1080p on the fly and it was your PC unable to provide the data to the PS3 in time? And maybe your HTPC plays the same file natively so didnt need transcoding....

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Are you sure your PC wasnt transcoding the 1080p on the fly and it was your PC unable to provide the data to the PS3 in time? And maybe your HTPC plays the same file natively so didnt need transcoding....

hundred percent - it wasnt transcoding for one, just a network share through media servers.

Back
Top Bottom