1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be a problem? Mirror related

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Justintime, 10 Apr 2010.

1. Justintime

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

Just noticed this the other day after that pedestrian decided to run into the side of my car ;) . Theres a few cm gap in the mirror trim there, need to get it sorted soon but in the meantime would this have any detrimental effect such as water ingress? Ignore the windscreen, its sorted now :D Also, cost wise, how much roughly am i looking at to sort that? Cheers fellas!

2. Bennie-Mac

Capodecina

It could cost between £5 and £12000 depending on what type of car you own ;)

3. Justintime

Sgarrista

Its an 06 320D SE.

4. zetec452

Sgarrista

Can't you just pop the plastic back in?

5. Justintime

Sgarrista

Have tried, with a rubber mallet etc.. not only me either, two other people as well, won't budge, looks like whatever is holding it in has popped out of the metal itself.

6. grudas

Capodecina

looks like it just "poped" out.. get it in.. try harder.. ;] worst case scenario you going to brake it :)

7. Dave L

Wise Guy

Pesky peds. Any damage to said ped?

8. Justintime

Sgarrista

Concussion and broken leg as my rear wheel went over it. She was aiming for a bus across the road and unfortunately i was in her way, didn't even see it happen as my bonnet area had already cleared her when she went into my wing mirror/windscreen. Quite an experience and annoying at the same time, windscreen hassle, police writing me letters about investigating the incident, insurance sending a technician to check my car over, likely premium increase next year, ped possibly claiming (not happened yet), sitting in a police car answering 20 questions, cautioned, breathalysed, sitting in the back for two hours etc.. damage to my car, all because a teenage girl was being brainless. I felt and do feel bad for her but it seems like once you are the driver the spotlights all on you and no one gives a toss about how YOU feel after the incident.

9. indyskyz

Wise Guy

can you not just take it off and put it back on right?

ir even just lossening it will alow you to get it back in to place

10. bledd

Don

Hope she's ok..

11. Justintime

Sgarrista

It happened on the 22nd so i'd assume she is ok. I never got her details from anyone! Hospital reports is a minor concussion and broken leg, no life changing injuries.

12. Justintime

Sgarrista

Pcs and electrical stuff is my game, removing trim without breaking everything to bits is something i'm no good at :D Apparently the mirror has to come off by removing the door panel inside.

13. 4T5

Man of Honour

This ^^

Then use your PC to get a diagram of your door panel & work it out. There is a knuckle inside the mirror body, I reckon it's just popped out myself but rather than Forcing it back in stripping it out will put it right without over stressing the knuckle & making it Baggy.

(I hope I make sense I am still messed up from last night :o)

14. NickXX

Soldato

If it's anything like the e36...

Pull the plastic trim off on the other side of the door, this will reveal 3 screws. Undo all three screws and reseat the mirror. Tighten it back up and refit the plastic trim.

It's likely that one of the screws has been ripped from its fixing however, so worth checking that out. Either way you should be able to get it seated correctly.