Would you give your life for someone else

Soldato
wife and kids without a shadow of adoubt

random stranger

meh if i could help i'd help but i've a family to think of

Man of Honour
The number of safety/rescue courses I've been on (5 or so, so maybe not a huge number) - I would always put myself and my own saftey first.

If I'm attempting to rescue someone, from say, a river..I'm gonna do sod all good if I'm getting washed away myself. Sorry if you drown kid, there just wasn't enough time to rescue you safely.

I'm pretty generous so I guess if I was in a war I'd probably be more inclined to perform a selfless act to save a bunch of people I cared about.

Like Fox said, I think it would be pretty foolish to (risk getting/) get yourself killed over some random person you didn't know.

But, I don't think I'll ever know for sure until I'm put in a position where I have to make that decision in an instant. I hope it's not soon/ever tbh.

How not to rescue someone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5N52V3IRk

Last edited:

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Two sides to this question and it all comes down to certainty.

If I knew for certain I would die and for certain that the other person would die if I did not I would gladly do so for my sons.

Otherwise I would say no.

On the other hand I would put my life in risk to save someone else. Their is no intention to die but I could die by trying to save someone who will die. e.g. jumping into a river to save someone elses life, go into a house on fire to save someone. An instintive decision would be made which would determine if I felt I had a reasonable chance of getting away with it.

Something that rescue personnel do all the time.

Permabanned
gjrc said:
yes

if i was fighting in a war besides my mates i woudl put my life in danger to save theirs. every time.

plus i know when i marry i would die to save my wife.

So...before you marry her you wouldnt die for her? Why would it change on your wedding day?

I would only put my kids lives before mine. I wouldnt die for my wife. No way. I love her to bits, but to die for her. No. Thats means I'd have to have the kids full time!!! :)

And to tbz_ck, general kids in danger - are you being serious ? Wasting your life for someone you dont know. I dont think so. If youre married and have kids, youll know that wouldnt be the case...

Suspended
For a total stranger, no.
However I would try, but not put my life on the line.
I don't have children so can't answer that question.

Soldato
OP
Tomsk said:
The question is very specific.
There are only a few people for whom I would knowingly sacrifice myself for.
However I would probably risk my life to save anyone.

The question I asked is certain death and not risking death by saving someone ;) I think most would take a risk, but not many would give there life for a life no mater how special someone is.

Permabanned
It's part of the human condition. To look after number one.

However, it's easily overridden by other emotions. Caring for a loved one enough would cause you to try and save them, your own objectiveness about your safety wouldn't have time to factor in to your split second decision.

Permabanned
The OP is basically asking - i think - if you would kill yourself. I.e. would you offer to shoot yourself in the head to save someone else from murder etc.

Everyone above is basically saying they would risk their lives, such as jumping into a river to save a drowning child.

I would not GIVE my life for someone else, but I think I would - during whatever is happening at the time - immediately risk my life for someone else.

Permabanned
iCraig said:
Surely it depends on the loved one. If you had a 6 month year old daughter, you wouldn't save her life it meant yours would probably end?

I wouldn't. It's suicide. Surely Jesus who gave his life up should have gone to Hell :p

Permabanned
iCraig said:
Surely it depends on the loved one. If you had a 6 month year old daughter, you wouldn't save her life it meant yours would probably end?
Don't fudge the question :) The question is very specific. If you knew you were definitely, no doubt, going to die, would you sacrifice your life for another. The answer to that I'm afraid is no.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Don't fudge the question :) The question is very specific. If you knew you were definitely, no doubt, going to die, would you sacrifice your life for another. The answer to that I'm afraid is no.

He said a loved one. A daughter is a loved one. I'm not fudging the question at all, would you sacrifice your life for your baby daughter? You say no?

Permabanned
iCraig said:
He said a loved one. A daughter is a loved one. I'm not fudging the question at all, would you sacrifice your life for your baby daughter? You say no?
You fudged it when you said I would 'probably' die. The question assumes there is no doubt that I would die.

I don't have kids so the knee jerk response will be to say that if I did, my views would be different. Perhaps so, perhaps not. But at this moment in time I would not willingly die for anyone.

Permabanned
iCraig said:

That fudges the question.

I would RISK my life, but not GIVE it surely.

Suspended
Willis said:
I think most would take a risk...
Au contraire, I think that most people wouldn't risk their lives to save a stranger - or even an acquaintance. This is why we're so impressed by hero stories (like the guy who dived into a river to save a stranger, on BBC site recently). People like that represent something that we'd all like to think we have in ourselves, but know deep down that we don't.

Back
Top Bottom