Would you give your life for someone else

Soldato
Riiya said:
The OP is basically asking - i think - if you would kill yourself. I.e. would you offer to shoot yourself in the head to save someone else from murder etc.

Everyone above is basically saying they would risk their lives, such as jumping into a river to save a drowning child.

I would not GIVE my life for someone else, but I think I would - during whatever is happening at the time - immediately risk my life for someone else.

exactly what i was thinking and what i would do

op isnt worded that great so makes it confusing

would risk my life but if i was 100% sure i was going to die then im not so sure

Permabanned
If I saw someone taking a kicking from a group of 10 big burly skinheads, I most certainely would NOT risk my life to save someone I didnt know. I would walk the other way.

But if that same group were beating my 13 year old girl, or my 14 months old baby, I would without hesitation get in there and try to save them, knowing full well I would possibly be killed.

If that same group were beating on my wife, I would walk away. That sounds harsh, but what chance would I have against that group, and if they killed both of us, my kids would not have parents. My wife would understand entirely where I'mcoming from. She would be the same.

Permabanned
Riiya said:
Everyone above is basically saying they would risk their lives, such as jumping into a river to save a drowning child.

I am definately not saying that. My kids yeah, someone elses, no. I cannot risk my well being, or my families wellbeing for someone I do not know.

If there was zero risk, calm waters and near to bank then I might jump in, but if it was flooded, and there were nasty torrents, I couldnt do it, as I might die and my kids wouldnt have a Dad.

Permabanned
Say I saw a kid in the road and it was going to get knocked down I would try and save it, I dont think I could live knowing I could have saved the kid.

Soldato
This is actually quite a difficult question to answer, and having recently become a de-facto aetheist (from Dawkins description) I now firmly believe that there is NOTHING after this life, you've only got one shot at it and when it's over, it's over. Therefore throwing away potentially YEARS of life to save someone elses - even a loved ones - I don't think I could do it.

Having said that, if it was a heat of the moment kind of thing I, I know I would do whatever I could to save the life of my Mrs if she was in danger. Same too of the kids when we have them. However I consider this to be *risking* your life in a reasonable gamble in order to keep someone very important to you in your life. It's not like making a definative payment of your life for theirs.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

I can't beleive this thread. I really can't. The majority of you are saying you would die to save someone.................. So why are you sitting on this forum? Go save the people dying.....theres millions :mad: :mad:

There is a difference between knowing your going to get killed practically straight away or risking it......

Last edited by a moderator:

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Risk my life for someone I cared about - yes.

Give my life outright - possibly for my younger brother. Not for my surviving parent, grandparents, friends or other family as they wouldn't want me to and couldn't live with the guilt if I did. The same vice versa too. I don't have any kids.

That's the best answer I can come up with without actually being in the situation.

Soldato
I think its almost impossible to say without being in a situation of that nature.

I think most people myself included would lay down their life for their family. Although like many people im sure, I really have no idea how I would react.

Family members older than you, your parents for example probably wouldnt want you to though, and the life you left them could be awful for them to see you gone.

As for friends and random strangers, who knows...risk - perhaps, lay down - probably not.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nazbit said:
I think most people myself included would lay down their life for their family.
Why though? I genuinely don't understand why you would want to do that. When it comes down to it, isn't the strongest instinct that humans have, survival? Self preservation?

Soldato
I'd say yes but only for a few people, i dont think i would for a random joe bloggs in the street but then you never know until it happens

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Why though? I genuinely don't understand why you would want to do that. When it comes down to it, isn't the strongest instinct that humans have, survival? Self preservation?

Yes that is probably one of the strongest instincts we have, if I was in danger and about to die for sure I would try to save myself.

Its incredibly hard to predict how anyone would act, but if I was in a situation where someone I loved was facing certain death, and I had the chance to save them, even if it meant risking my life, I would like to think that I would do it.

Then there is the case of actually laying down your life to save someone else, its very very hard to imagine what you would do, and I dont know either way how I would act, but self preservation would not be my only concern.

Are you saying your immediate and over powering instinct would be to just get the hell out, save yourself and leave that person to die?

Permabanned
Nazbit said:
Are you saying your immediate and over powering instinct would be to just get the hell out, save yourself and leave that person to die?
It wouldn't be nice but I have to come first. If you think about it, you love your wife or kids because you love being with them. If you die to save them, you still aren't going to be with them any more either way, are you. At least if you survive you can live the rest of your life. I wouldn't expect or want anyone to die 'for me' anyway, I would want them to save themselves. And that is what I would do too.

I'm not saying I'd never lift a finger to help anyone in any circumstances, don't misunderstand. This thread is about would you choose to die so that another can live. To that question I can unequivocally say no.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
It wouldn't be nice .......

Fair enough.

Like I say, I think its something none of us could ever really answer for sure unless we were put in a situation of that nature.

Lets hope none of us ever are.

Associate
We are the children of cowards :)

the heroes always die, and the cowards live and populate. obviously I'm not talking about your dad, but much further back :p

Back
Top Bottom