Would you give your life for someone else

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
It wouldn't be nice but I have to come first. If you think about it, you love your wife or kids because you love being with them. If you die to save them, you still aren't going to be with them any more either way, are you. At least if you survive you can live the rest of your life. I wouldn't expect or want anyone to die 'for me' anyway, I would want them to save themselves. And that is what I would do too.

I'm not saying I'd never lift a finger to help anyone in any circumstances, don't misunderstand. This thread is about would you choose to die so that another can live. To that question I can unequivocally say no.

but is that only Now, could your opinion alter in say, 10, or 20 years? for example if you were 60 and the person in question was your son, would you consider it?

i know the instinct is survival, but surely the conscience overrides primordial instinct, hence how we have managed to create society with laws, morals and a collective conscience.

Soldato
OP
SunaseIPs said:
I wonder about Suicide bombers who give their life for something greater?!

Always makes me wonder.

Thats one of the resons what got me thinking about starting this thread, some people are not scared about death or giving up there own life because they think they are off to a better place :confused:.

The reson i would not give my life is when your dead your dead no after life etc but some times i do think that maybe we could go somewhere when we die but thats when my head starts hurting and have to stop thinking about it all :D . Some days i have more faith in where we go than others.

Associate
I've been thinking about this and I really don't know. It alll comes down to the fight or flight response i suppose and you cant anticipate how you will react in any of those situations.

However years ago I was in a training session for something and the trainer suggested that in the course of human history no one has ever done anything for another person. They act because of the way it makes them feel. For instance, You jump in the river to save the drowning child because you couldnt live with yourself if you did nothing. Certainly food for thought.

Man of Honour
there's only 3 people I would gladly die for, even if there life wasn't in an immediate threat, many more I would fight tooth and nail for.

tsgray70 said:
Ibecause you couldnt live with yourself if you did nothing

I think your spot on there.

Man of Honour
jamiemoles said:
On the flip side of my earlier comments about not being willing to give up my life for other people, I'd certainly take a life to defend my family and friends.

Anyone else?

Of course I don't think many people will say no to that question.

Bry

Bry

Associate
For my family or my best friend i would and i wouldn't think twice about it. For anyone else though i seriously doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom