1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would your future self send advice to your earlier self?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [FnG]magnolia, 4 May 2019.

1. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

The future was invented by the Romans in November 1299, probably. Three weeks later, Martin Scorsese made the popular documentary Back To The Future which examined in depth the effects and outcomes of time travel. Chief amongst the findings was that future changes have consequences on the past: in the documentary, we actually see members of the lead character's family gradually fade from a photograph! This happens in real time and is terrifying. However, the mum and dad eventually end up together after their son chooses not to get jiggy with his mum, schools his dad on how to be a man, and makes some pretty fun social commentary on the differences between the past and future. It's a hoot, 4 gold stars, well done everyone!

Now then. A key subplot of the documentary is that the future is known and in this future the Doctor is shot to death by Libyan terrorists. The main actor tries his best to tell the Doctor this (in the past) and writes a letter telling him to not open the letter until the year 1985 and that he must take precautions. In a stunning shot, the Doctor rips the letter into pieces, explaining to our main actor (and us, the audience), that the future must remain unknown or major consequences can happen.

Question to time travellers or those considering it: would your future self send advice to your earlier self? What would it say?

2. Diddums

Capodecina

If you sit on your hand for 10 mins it feels like someone else is doing it.

3. robfosters

Caporegime

Don’t drink so much and stop your mum ruining her life with stupid financial decisions.

4. Scuzi

Man of Honour

Oh wow. This is already the most depressing thread on the internet. I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

5. d_brennen

Capodecina

Think about the question Mags. If your future self is in some way involved in flippin' time travel, I think everything has gone just great for you

6. Mr^B

Mobster

Don't read this thread.

7. robfosters

Caporegime

Oh, I forgot one.

Buy lots and lots of bitcoin.

8. Thekwango

Capodecina

Yes I would. I would travel back and tell myself not to head towards the strange blue/green light. If nowt else there’d have been much less probing.

9. robfosters

Caporegime

Don’t lie, you enjoyed the probing. You stared at the light in the hope that there would be lots of probing.

10. adolf hamster

Sgarrista

Nothing, the person i am today is the result of the life i've led. Yes i've made mistakes, hell i'm still making them. But why would i risk losing the lessons i've learnt?

11. Thekwango

Capodecina

it still hurts, even after all these years :( but in truth it did end all too quickly :eek::p

12. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

I would have told my earlier self the winning lottery numbers from various past draws :p

13. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Yes, not to join this forum.

14. ivrytwr3

Mobster

I should have killed you a long time ago, I've come to fix that mistake.

Or Endgame spoiler. Imagine opening a letter on 24 Apr 19 and all it says is "xxxxx dies" (future me is a *****)

15. LuckyBenski

Soldato

"Stop chatting girls up and practise your craft". If I'd spent half the time I did chasing women practising guitar or studying, I'd have been in a better place earlier.

16. Efour

Caporegime

Take the blue pill.

17. Lopéz

Man of Honour

I think my future self would write me enough advice to fill a book.

18. Acme

Caporegime

It's changes in the past that affect the future. Not the other way round.

And I'd say buy bitcoin and hold it for X years :p

19. LeeUK

Soldato

Yeah that I should have stuck in school better and learnt myself a proper trade instead of just thinking about money at the time and getting a job as soon as I left school. Now I'm still stuck in crappy dead end jobs and I can't really afford to re-train without carrying on working also.

20. azazl187

Mobster

All I can say is that if anyone was ever given that choice they would