Wow how slow is Windows 10 at updating? Also how to prevent it updating in future?

Man of Honour
The moment I've been dreading has arrived and despite putting off the latest update as long as possible, Windows has decided it's going to force me to apply updates.

Seriously, how can it be this slow? It's taken about 10 mins and it's only up to 21% with promises of several reboots.

Is there any way in future to permanently block updates until I choose a convenient moment to install them? Thanks.

Don
What really ****ed me off about this update was that using “Update and Shutdown” does’t complete the update it still takes an age and a day to finish the update when you next power up.

I did postpone updates a few times and indeed on my HTPC its still not forced the update on me.

Man of Honour
1803 took over 3 hours on an i5 system I updated and my tablets took ~4 hours and ~11 hours one of them is reasonably high spec the other one of those 2GB/32GB jobbies.

If you want even a semblance of real control over updates you need Windows 10 Pro (or LTSB) even then it isn't real control. They've increasingly made it harder to take proper control in Home.

EDIT: I'll say it again any system I actually want to use remains firmly on Windows 7 :s

Man of Honour
OP
Right it's finished and 'only' took about 50 mins so not as bad as it first seemed (still ridiculous though). But what really annoyed me at the end was the permissions I was being asked to agree to; I could only choose to send back basic usage details rather than everything (why not an option for no usage details?) and also to accept either relevant or not relevant adverts, but still receive adverts (why any adverts at all as I paid for this OS?). I can't trust them to push things even further next time, with no option but to keep accepting more and more terms that are disagreeable to me.

I do appreciate nothing has changed and it's always been this way with Windows 10. I appreciate this is just a reminder about things I'd put at the back of my mind. I also do use this machine occasionally for gaming (well my son does mostly) and so have to keep Windows on it. But I've really, really had enough of Windows now.

Time to look again at MacOS (and I can't stand their new keyboards) or move to Linux full time for everything non-gaming.

Man of Honour
I don't get it, some systems seem to update nice and fast while others are a nightmare. My desktop took less than 10 mins, my miner around 25 mins and thats a e5500, with 6gb ram and a hypetec firestorm ssd. Now my laptop, 6700hq, 32gb ram and 1tb ssd took an absolute age, probably a couple of hours or more.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't get it, some systems seem to update nice and fast while others are a nightmare. My desktop took less than 10 mins, my miner around 25 mins and thats a e5500, with 6gb ram and a hypetec firestorm ssd. Now my laptop, 6700hq, 32gb ram and 1tb ssd took an absolute age, probably a couple of hours or more.

For reference mine is a hex core 3930k (at standard speed), 24gb RAM, SSD. It's also connected to the router over ethernet rather than wifi. While it was updating my son complained that Fortnite on the XBox was lagging. So I suspect it was downloading a lot. If your internet connection is slow, or if your internal network is slow (such as wifi) then that could be the reason?

Soldato
WIn10 updates have long been a thorn in my side, hate them. not only are they forced, they choke off about 90% of my bandwidth, crippling any sensible browsing [i only have a skanky 3mps bb, no cable or fibre] and it does it stealthily, no announcement pop-ups or anything. 1803 took about 3hr to d/l then failed, then it reloaded something, then had another crack at 1803 and finally finished ok at about midnight having taken another 2hrs or so to actually apply the downloads. don't use that machine much, but it drives me made every time i do cos it seems every time i'm on it there's some hefty update forced on me.

Soldato
Took less than an hour on my work machine - old HP i3 box :D But I did use the media creation tool to grab the ISO - as WU is likely to get hammered with such updates.

You can defer feature updates (typically the big ones) by 365 days, you should also be able to change to the Semi-Annual Channel for updates - both of those should help to minimise the apparent sneaky and constant updating.

What is still ******* me off about Windows 10, is that 1803 is still bundled with a load of consumer rubbish, meaning I am yet again having to strip out build images! I just wish MS would give us a Windows 10 NC (non consumer) edition.

Soldato
Never had any update issues on 10, and I probably have 10 machines at home running W10 (including virtual).

What is still ******* me off about Windows 10, is that 1803 is still bundled with a load of consumer rubbish, meaning I am yet again having to strip out build images! I just wish MS would give us a Windows 10 NC (non consumer) edition.

This is my biggest gripe with W10. Even Pro comes with rubbish.

Man of Honour
You can defer feature updates (typically the big ones) by 365 days, you should also be able to change to the Semi-Annual Channel for updates - both of those should help to minimise the apparent sneaky and constant updating.

I don't find that even works reliably - some machines it works others will just randomly start doing updates for whatever reason whenever. I got that nice modal dialogue telling me a new important update was available and what action I wanted to take coming up over everything I was doing on one system despite it even having active hours configured for that period.

Soldato
Took about 11 hours to complete on my little Toshiba laptop, failed the first time too. I don't typically mind OS updates but these are so enormous and from my perspective I've not used ANY of the additional functionality in any of these updates so far.

I'm so glad I moved out of IT support though, couldn't be bothered with this at work too.

Soldato
I've an i920, an e5500 and a 90 quid tablet thing, all updated in less than 30 minutes including the several reboots it seemingly requires.
Was amazed the tablet updated swiftly as usually it takes 30 minutes open a damn program or window.

Caporegime
I should add this update nearly broke my surface.
At restart nothing happened but it got very hot very quick with no fans. I had to do the 15sec reset thing.

Thre sshould be more warning about updates. Imagine if I was tethered when it happened. Bang. No Internet for the rest of the month

Permabanned
I should add this update nearly broke my surface.
At restart nothing happened but it got very hot very quick with no fans. I had to do the 15sec reset thing.

Thre sshould be more warning about updates. Imagine if I was tethered when it happened. Bang. No Internet for the rest of the month

Microsoft need to stop forcing updates on people, absolute tail ends for breaking systems!

Soldato
I've rolled back to win7 on 30 laptops at work. My boss moaned about how long it takes updating on the laptops and some failed to boot afterwards. I had no choice but rolled back to win7.

Win10 is pathetic

Back
Top Bottom