Wow how slow is Windows 10 at updating? Also how to prevent it updating in future?

Caporegime
Thing is I don't really know what brings. Nothing about it makes me go "thank you for these new amazing win 10 features, I'm so glad I made the switch"

It' aactually the opposite. I miss the freedom of win 7.

Also, anyone else hate the new windows 10 settings screens? They seem so much less functional than the detailed win 7 style ones.

Man of Honour
Thing is I don't really know what brings. Nothing about it makes me go "thank you for these new amazing win 10 features, I'm so glad I made the switch"

Also, anyone else hate the new windows 10 settings screens? They seem so much less functional than the detailed win 7 style ones.

I actually, in theory, like the idea of the start menu in 10 - but the execution is lacking on what could be a great feature and any development on it seems to be almost incidental - very slow they've only just in the latest insider build put in some basic ability to folder/rename groups of tiles, etc. let alone any proper group management of tiles or the ability to properly customise individual tiles (icon, background, background transparency, etc.).

Soldato
I've rolled back to win7 on 30 laptops at work. My boss moaned about how long it takes updating on the laptops and some failed to boot afterwards. I had no choice but rolled back to win7.

Win10 is pathetic

:rolleyes:

You made pathetic decision to rolled 30 laptops back to Windows 7, I been fixed long updates and failed boots issue with my sister, nephews, nieces, cousins and uncle laptops when upgraded Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Tell your boss to shipping me 30 laptops so I can upgrade all 30 laptops to Windows 10 and make sure all laptops worked properly after updated. :p

V F

V F

Soldato

You made pathetic decision to rolled 30 laptops back to Windows 7, I been fixed long updates and failed boots issue with my sister, nephews, nieces, cousins and uncle laptops when upgraded Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Tell your boss to shipping me 30 laptops so I can upgrade all 30 laptops to Windows 10 and make sure all laptops worked properly after updated. :p

So... You're implying all these people with updating issues and problems are all noobs? :p

Soldato

Do you realise you just made yourself look stupid by posting this?

I don't have sisters, nephews, nieces, cousins and uncle at work! I'm taking about working environment where many staff are unable to work on the laptops. One morning at least 10 laptops are unusable for at least 1 hour due updating witjouw any warning. Some failed to boot up afterwards.

We never had any problems with win7 updating. Never did.

We decided to re-image all laptops with win7. It was the right decision.

Man of Honour
Yeah they twice aborted trial roll outs of 10 at work due to issues like this and the general lack of suitability in kiosk type functionality, etc. (I saw they are putting in some new features for that in future builds but still seems like a clumsy approach to something that shouldn't even be a problem).

I don't work for the department(s) involved in this and they have some very experienced people working on these projects.

One morning at least 10 laptops are unusable for at least 1 hour due updating witjouw any warning. Some failed to boot up afterwards.

Sounds like you need WSUS with GPO or some setup like that - that said even then you are only somewhat mitigating rather than really controlling these issues with 10 and will encounter them sooner or later even if a little less frequently which really isn't acceptable in the real world.

Last edited:
Soldato
The laptops are not on domain. They work off-sites

Ironically I edited the local gpedit.msc to stop the update. Somehow win10 update revert the settings itself! As far I can see there is no way of controlling the update on non domain computers

Soldato

I don't have sisters, nephews, nieces, cousins and uncle at work! I'm taking about working environment where many staff are unable to work on the laptops. One morning at least 10 laptops are unusable for at least 1 hour due updating witjouw any warning. Some failed to boot up afterwards.

We never had any problems with win7 updating. Never did.

We decided to re-image all laptops with win7. It was the right decision.

It did not matter whether it family or staff at home or at work unable to work on the laptops. I been fixed family home and cousins owned pubs, convenience shop, car wash and Costa franchise businesses work laptops with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. 8.1 and 10 that was unusable after hours due to Windows Update without any warning and laptops failed to booted up afterwards over the last 15 years. I updated all of their home and business Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 laptops to Windows 10, installed Norton Security, cloned slow HDDs to SDDs and sell secured erased HDD/SDDs rather than reckless destroyed it.

Of course I had laptops and also my desktop with Windows 7 failed updates caused endless restarted and rolled back looping issues after Windows Update downloaded and installed wrong update happened 3 times during lifetime, reinstalled Windows 7 fixed it. Windows 7 updates was absolutely nightmare with clean install or reinstall, I had to turned off automatic update and download, installed hundreds of updates in the right order start from oldest first but I made a few wrong move and it caused Windows 7 updates failed to installed and rolled back and restarted in endless looping so I had to used NTLite to create custom Windows 7 SP1 iso with all updates integrated in correct order to reinstalled Windows 7. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 was much better with far fewer updates.

Your team made wrong decision to re-image all laptops with Windows 7, your team should create and test image that will work with all laptops with Windows 10 because Windows 7 extended support will end in January 2020, from that date Microsoft will no longer push Windows 7 security updates through Windows Update mean Windows 7 will be vulnerability to cyber attacks just like Windows XP did, Microsoft recommended all business firms switch to Windows 10 now before Windows 7 lifecycle end in 18 months or face the consequence just like 50% of all UK businesses ran Windows XP or Windows 7 with automatic update turned off suffered from cyber attacks every year with each firm lost average £20,000 from lowest figure to millions in ransom payouts to hackers. Very pleased none of my family businesses suffered from cyber attacks after updated to Windows 10 but unfortunately for my previous dentist had all desktops PCs at surgery upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 back in 2014 fell victim to cyber attacks 2 years ago had lost critical files, customers and accounts data, my dentist refused to pay ransom so he had no choice but to sell the dentist clinic business. I take security very serious updated all family home and business laptops to Windows 10 and all data protected from cyber attacks.

Man of Honour

There was a certain air of an implied end user error to your post - most people posting here have significant experience going back years and wouldn't just give up if it was a bit of tweaking - maybe diving in the registry or powershell, etc. to fix. Your experience of Windows 10 is not one that a lot of people enjoy - I've not actually encountered anyone IRL where Windows 10 doesn't take hours and hours to update and the official discussion forum for Windows 10 is a testament to that and just how sick to the back teeth the larger number of users have finally become with updates in 10 (this goes on and on and on for pages):

klsU6ml.png

Its tragic only a mother could love the state of Windows 10 - the developers really must be completely dense, so removed from the real world experience of their product they should be firing project managers and the likes left, right and centre, or enjoy being obnoxious towards their end users.

Of course I had laptops and also my desktop with Windows 7 failed updates caused endless restarted and rolled back looping issues after Windows Update downloaded and installed wrong update happened 3 times during lifetime, reinstalled Windows 7 fixed it. Windows 7 updates was absolutely nightmare with clean install or reinstall, I had to turned off automatic update and download, installed hundreds of updates in the right order start from oldest first but I made a few wrong move and it caused Windows 7 updates failed to installed and rolled back and restarted in endless looping so I had to used NTLite to create custom Windows 7 SP1 iso with all updates integrated in correct order to reinstalled Windows 7. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 was much better with far fewer updates.

We've had almost the opposite experience here - Windows 7 has largely worked fine for me - the only issue I've had with updates is that for a couple of years (seemingly to try and "encourage" people onto 10) Windows update in 7 would just stall out and never find/apply updates - a well known issue without any one comprehensive fix for awhile (in some cases related to some memory limitations but unfortunately that was only one factor of the problem).

I've almost never had to reinstall 7 due to issues that couldn't be solved while 10 has been utterly tragic in that regard.

Your team made wrong decision to re-image all laptops with Windows 7, your team should create and test image that will work with all laptops with Windows 10 because Windows 7 extended support will end in January 2020, from that date Microsoft will no longer push Windows 7 security updates through Windows Update mean Windows 7 will be vulnerability to cyber attacks just like Windows XP did, Microsoft recommended all business firms switch to Windows 10 now before Windows 7 lifecycle end in 18 months or face the consequence just like 50% of all UK businesses ran Windows XP or Windows 7 with automatic update turned off suffered from cyber attacks every year with each firm lost average £20,000 from lowest figure to millions in ransom payouts to hackers. Very pleased none of my family businesses suffered from cyber attacks after updated to Windows 10 but unfortunately for my previous dentist had all desktops PCs at surgery upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 back in 2014 fell victim to cyber attacks 2 years ago had lost critical files, customers and accounts data, my dentist refused to pay ransom so he had no choice but to sell the dentist clinic business. I take security very serious updated all family home and business laptops to Windows 10 and all data protected from cyber attacks.

Maybe MS needs to get their **** in order if Windows 7 is going to be a significant security consideration - even with imaging the system, extensive use of group policies and so on the behaviour of the OS especially with regard to updates and behaviour post update is so unpredictable. Even on the slow ring and deferring as much as possible if our teams adopted Windows 10 right now they'd be working flat out doing qualification testing before pushing stuff to the live production environment - I can see us going almost entirely Linux in the future at work when the budget is there for "porting" some of our propitiatory software away from Windows.

Even Windows 10 isn't immune to things like Crypto malware - the only protection for that is having proper offline backups, preferably on a write protected medium, and a plan for recovery so you don't end up with the backups wiped out when trying to restore - at the end of the day if a company has significant amounts of data ransomed and it brings down their business they only have themselves and/or their IT/IS department to blame - you can't blame that on the OS.

Caporegime
I work at a small independent IT shop and we get laptops with issues relating to windows 10 updates almost daily. Machines that were working fine have guffed after the 1803 update (which was pulled twice!).

To say "you're doing it wrong" is somewhat narrow minded.

Soldato
So... You're implying all these people with updating issues and problems are all noobs? :p

The truth is yes everybody included me are all noobs when people would not able to find solutions with mobile phones, computers, OS, software, drivers unique issues and problems. Take a look at Microsoft communities forums for example people moaned how useless Microsoft engineers noobs are when they would not able to troubleshoot issues with Windows regardless what version.

I never had issue with Nvidia drivers for the last 16 years on desktop until now the latest driver failed to installed 397.93 notebook driver on my Dell Inspiron 7737 laptop with Kepler GT 750M and other time it driver managed to get through custom installation but said Nvidia installer failed in the end when it reported previous Nvidia Graphics Driver and Nvidia Virtual Audio was not installed but accorded to Device Manager Nvidia Virtual Audio is still installed. Tried DDU to removed all Nvidia driver and registry but it would not fixed it so I googled the unique issue online and tried few suggestions I managed to get Graphics Driver installed successful but Nvidia Virtual Audio failed to installed. Will google more later to find other suggestions.

I guess it could be possible Nvidia driver issue may been caused by Meltdown and Spectre patches.

Caporegime

Brings nothing for me, being mainly a gamer, so still happily rocking 7, plus all the problems its got, like everytime theres updates, it can hose yer rig, so you have to re-install it, gets stuck in boot loops, it BSOD, it changes your drivers etc... etc..., just read the threads on it, i couldn't be putting up with that all the time, no ******* way.

Man of Honour
OP
That's actually a good question. Every time there's a massive update to W10 there isn't anything new. All that happens is that a few settings screens are moved around so I can't find the damn thing anymore.

I'm still using W10 on my desktop machine. But I've now moved full time to Linux on my laptop (I've dabbled with it on and off over the years and am quite comfortable with it). I'll run that for a few months and see how I feel before relegating the desktop machine to a dual boot W10 for my sons gaming only and Linux for the main boot. At the moment it's going great.

Soldato
before relegating the desktop machine to a dual boot W10 for my sons gaming only and Linux
I would be wary of windows 10 dual boot - they have made other partitions appear unallocated in previous updates; the recent X: partition thread too.

There never seems to be any accountability with Microsoft, explaining errors in previous updates and remedial action they are taking.
The mystique of the update process too, if system explained what was being patched, and why process takes so long, but, I suppose that is a geeky request.

How do they avoid class actions in the USA (like VW or Tesla), demanding a more robust/reliable update process to make product fit for purpose, consumers are too disorganised I guess (divide and conquer) ?

Man of Honour
OP
I would be wary of windows 10 dual boot - they have made other partitions appear unallocated in previous updates; the recent X: partition thread too.

Thanks. Yes I'm aware. When I dual boot what I do is have a separate SSD and switch between them in the BIOS.

I know it's early days but I'm genuinely preferring Linux at the moment. Aside from gaming and maybe MS Office I can't see me going back to W10. I've even got it looking better than W10.

Soldato
There was a certain air of an implied end user error to your post - most people posting here have significant experience going back years and wouldn't just give up if it was a bit of tweaking - maybe diving in the registry or powershell, etc. to fix. Your experience of Windows 10 is not one that a lot of people enjoy - I've not actually encountered anyone IRL where Windows 10 doesn't take hours and hours to update and the official discussion forum for Windows 10 is a testament to that and just how sick to the back teeth the larger number of users have finally become with updates in 10 (this goes on and on and on for pages):

klsU6ml.png

Many of my friends and family was not really interested in tweaking, messed about in registry, powershell etc because they all are clueless about it and they never installed or updated drivers before. They all were very happy with Windows 10, they found it much better than Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista and XP in their past experiences, they hated very slow laptop HDDs then I upgraded and cloned it to fast SSDs and they absolutely loved Windows 10 booted up in a few secs, logged in and opened apps instantly, leave Windows 10 automatically downloaded, installed, configured Windows updates fast. I remembered bought my first second hand Advent laptop back in 2004 for my dad to used it for internet, emails and share deals but leave to me to dealt with Windows Update and installed drivers because dad are clueless about it, took about 1 hour to configured Windows XP updates. Bought Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop with Vista in 2006 took about 1 hour to configured updates but Windows 7 took about 1 hour with few updates or 2 hours with lots of updates or about 10 hours or over with 200 configured updates after reinstalled Windows 7. Windows 8, 8.1 took about 30 mins to configured updates until I was frustrated with slow laptop HDD and finally upgraded to SDD in 2014 took a few mins to configured updates.

I been posted on Microsoft official discussion forum years ago, Windows 7 section had issues with pages goes on and on, it no different with Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom