• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Associate
Ugly move from Nvidia. Did they think Steve would keep quiet & crumble in the face of their wrath? They deserve every bit of negative press they get from this.

Soldato
You are talking about a driver option I assume?

DLSS and RTX are actually in-game graphics options. That's a bit different.
I'm going to preface this by saying I care about RIS as much as i care about DLSS, neither of them are selling points as far as i am concerned. What i do care about is consistency.

I fail to see your point. why does it matter if it is a driver option rather than an in game option? If DLSS was a driver option (and could be used in all games) rather than an in game option are you saying that it should not be tested?
If anything your statement means that it should be tested. If it is a driver option it should work in all games (Could someone confirm this), by Linus' logic they absolutely should be testing this. The only reason i could think of for not testing this is that NIS also exists which would cancel out RIS.

For argument sake maybe the IQ for RIS isn't as good as DLSS/Native, but close enough is good enough. (That is the logic people use for justifying DLSS right?)

I think someone should challenge them on their logic, assuming that NIS doesn't exist to cancel out RIS.

Edit: RIS is based off of CAS, which Nvidia users (1000 series) are using on Cyberpunk 2077 so clearly it is good enough.

Sure ae some hot takes in this thread about HWUB being AMD biased.

They destroyed amd in the 6900xt review and have blasted them repeatedly over the msrp fiasco.
HWUB bias appears to be based on a persons own bias. If you like Nvidia they are AMD bias. If you like AMD they are Nvidia bias. Standard affair:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well DLSS 2.0 is often better than native resolution, mainly due to the artifacts that TAA bring to an image.

Can you imagine how long reviews would take it they had to test every driver option? Where does it end?

That's why it matters whether its native to the game or not.

I do agree that Hardware Unboxed shouldn't be punished in this way by Nvidia though.

Soldato
I'd rather these reviewers did do a proper job and show such detail. I'd like to know what offers the better IQ without doing all the research myself.
I really want someone to do a DLSS vs Native but Native is an AMD GPU. And to do it at all resolutions not just 4k.

Also someone needs to do a blind test. DLSS, Native Nvidia, Native AMD. People select which they think looks better. Frame rate is capped at 60fps so that it doesn't effect the results.

Soldato
Hahaha while I'm surprised is also not - the HU channel has been very anti Nvidia for a couple years now

the gamers nexus channel doesn't pay much attention to ray tracing either but they are extremely balanced unlije HU

Last edited:
Soldato
My take on the hu review was the amd and nvidia were pretty equal with better raytracing on the nvidia cards but he said at this point rt was not a big enough deal to base a purchase on.
Fair enough comment imo

Soldato
Hardware unboxed : "We will not be testing this card with DLSS, or any RT features. This is because we got an flaming AMD dingo in the back, and he payed us not toooooooo."

Nvidia: "Oh you are off the future FE priority review list"

Hardware unboxed : "Oh bugger me with a fish pole I didn't expect that....this is not faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiirrrrrrrr"

Pretty much and if god forbid they do have to test it they'll make sure to add to th script "by the way, we at hardware unboxed don't give a shut about ray tracing"

Soldato
To be clear, this really won't impact our reviews and opinions in any way. We won't start hating Nvidia, this isn't the first time companies have cut us off, and it hasn't affected our thoughts on products previously

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337257811625955329

Not that I am defending Nvidia but you have to wonder about the above in bold it doubts credibility.

You also have to wonder why the video in question that Nvidia are against is not being mentioned by HU. HU do not want draw attention to the fact what Nvidia is saying is true ?

Just being Devils Advocate.

Soldato
Well DLSS 2.0 is often better than native resolution, mainly due to the artifacts that TAA bring to an image.

Can you imagine how long reviews would take it they had to test every driver option? Where does it end?

I do agree that Hardware Unboxed shouldn't be punished in this way by Nvidia though.

Punished implies they did something wrong, in this case coerced might be a better word.

Soldato
Imagine NAVI3 beating nvidia on RT which has matured and its available in most popular console ports. "Nvidia bans HardwareUnboxed for using too many RT benchmarks".

Associate
GN responded to the tweet as well:
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1337248668232126466

Gamers Nexus said:
Not OK for them to say anything like that. The specific "should your editorial direction change" is a huge cross over a big red line. We only have like 4 RT benchmarks in our suite and give it about 2 minutes in our reviews because it's not widespread enough yet, so agree w/yours

Associate
Meh, nVidia showing their true colours. Have had an nVidia card for the past 5(?) years before switching to AMD. I'm glad I switched now.

I agree with HU's test approach; focus on rasterization (i.e. what 99.9% of people will use) and add the RT stuff at the end.

Once RT becomes standard and common (i.e. someone with a £300 GPU can have it on, with minimal performance hit and without quality compromise), then sure, have it at the front of the important aspects list; until then, it's a gimmick (not the actual technology, but current implementation/performance) which doesn't deserve to be in the spotlight.

Soldato

Reviews being long isn't a good enough reason to be inconsistent. A reviewer could streamline their work and select a few driver features if the need be. However, how many driver options make a difference to IQ and framerate and are simply not just a repeat of in game options? I've just gone through Nivida control panel 3D settings and most of those options can be tuned in game.

Also RIS is based off of Fideltiy FX CAS which is a feature that can be implemented in games. So can we now add it to the test suite?

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337257811625955329

Not that I am defending Nvidia but you have to wonder about the above in bold it doubts credibility.

You also have to wonder why the video in question that Nvidia are against is not being mentioned by HU. HU do not want draw attention to the fact what Nvidia is saying is true ?

Just being Devils Advocate.
Why is the bolded statement an issue?

The assumption would be the video/s in question is their review coverage of the RDNA2 and Ampere graphics cards.

Back
Top Bottom