• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Soldato
Mate, big corporations are out for our funds, neither NVidia or AMD is your friend and I like to think we buy hardware because we are enthusiasts. I feel the move from NVidia was petty and has back fired on them (rightly so) but as consumers, should we cut our nose off to spite our face? Should we stop shopping at Morrisons, Tesco, Amazon etc etc because of the scummy moves they make and the way the staff are treated?

Chill bud and enjoy a discussion for what it is.

My method to punish a company who's ethics I do not like is to buy 2nd hand if I do need to buy their product. Nvidia won't be getting any of my money even if I did buy a 3080.

Soldato
It is however whataboutism at its finest. Pointing to the other guy and saying they do stupid stuff too is merely an attempt to deflect from what is actually being discussed... Watch any social media post about "Russia/China/Tin Pot dictatorship XYZ has done "outrageous thing" and you'll see a flood of trolls posting "yeah but what about when the US did this completely unrelated but also despicable thing." It's become a staple of trolls around the world.

I really wish people would stop thinking either company is their friend, but that seems impossible.

It's not whataboutism. Not at all. And I am not a fan of either company, I think they both are as bad as each other.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in this thread, and those people who think AMD are above doing this sort of thing.

But, you know what, I am disappointed that you think I would be like that.

Soldato
It's totally relevant. People in this thread were saying that they only buy AMD because they have never done anything like this. But, AMD has and not that long ago. I was just pointing that out.

wrong and wrong. People can make their decisions based in what AMd and Nvidias are doing right now.

Dredging up ancient history might serve a purpose to an extend to whatever you and @Stanner @Wrinkly thinks. But it ultimately serves no purposes other than that corporates will seeks to exploit consumers if we don’t have a commutable channel in the likes of HU to give us balance facts. I repeat facts.

So forgive me in saying this to you and your fellows “shut the trap off it” cos you have no idea what you are actually talking about in the literal and metaphysical sense of it all.

Soldato
My method to punish a company who's ethics I do not like is to buy 2nd hand if I do need to buy their product. Nvidia won't be getting any of my money even if I did buy a 3080.

There are other companies like this. I no longer eat Nestle chocolate because of child slave labour

Soldato
Mate, big corporations are out for our funds, neither NVidia or AMD is your friend and I like to think we buy hardware because we are enthusiasts. I feel the move from NVidia was petty and has back fired on them (rightly so) but as consumers, should we cut our nose off to spite our face? Should we stop shopping at Morrisons, Tesco, Amazon etc etc because of the scummy moves they make and the way the staff are treated?

Chill bud and enjoy a discussion for what it is.
Buddy I am not in the delusional camp such as @Wrinkly @Stanners, that feel the necessity to bring the dirty laundry of a company to justify the wrong doing of another.

i agree with you as while tech industry, but that is no excuse for what Nvidia was trying to pull on HU.

I will say this once and last time. Any company that gets caught doing this sort of things to an unbiased review channel is not ok. Any company who is doing it without being caught doing it to any review channel is wrong. Any company who is manipulating the review channel by their rrp pricing or selective review sample to review channels is wrong.
That concludes my view point of this matter. Can therefore @Wrinkly @Stanners clearly steak where they stand on all of the above?

As far as the subject matter concerned, I see @Wrinkly is a fanboy @Stanners is a fence sitter saying debate is important and needs to be impartial yet ruled in his own will to be partial and irrelevant. Forgive me for calling them out but if I see BS I will call it out regardless if they are mods or not.

Soldato
There are other companies like this. I no longer eat Nestle chocolate because of child slave labour
I’m the same with Nestle since they are done real scummy things that impacts human lives but I have zero care when it comes to Intel / AMD / Nvidia doing dirty tactics. I will purchase from whoever has the best hardware in my price range.

Associate
Pretty much of a non story, what I find more of an issue is the so called "independent" reviewers preaching about how whiter then white they are.

I mean Jay's video was just pure ass gravy trying write off tens of thousands of pounds worth of GFX cards given to him as one way transaction in Nvidia's favour when new GFX cards come out he gets a massive upturn in views and therefore income and he gets to keep them for OC content which has nothing to do with reviews. He then says slates Nvidia for promoting Raytracing when AMD are pushing it just as hard, he also says he doesn't give any attention to features "he" doesn't think are worth it and had to be convinced by someone else to even look at DLSS 2.0 which is not the sign of an reviewer doing his job.

I won't even get in to Linus who will take money to say pretty much anything, lets not forgot he got on the fake 8K gravy train the moment Nvidia flashed the cash

Associate
All the righteous indignation does make me laugh though. As soon as those Nvidia cards are in stock the same people bashing them in this thread will be buying. It's like slagging off the Tories in public yet voting for them in private.
I'd love it if people went to AMD.
Will make getting a 3080 much easier.

Caporegime
OP
So, Nvidia reversed the decision and emailed HW to say sorry... lol... so predictable https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...from-receiving-GPU-review-units.509177.0.html

All of you saying Nvidia doesn't care about bad PR or respond to pressure from the community, I hope this was a lesson and that you realise that collectively we (the community including techtubers) are not as completely toothless as you think. :)

Nvidia need a management shakeup, and I think Jensen is at the root of all of this. He doesn't, from all that I have seen, seem like a good or attentive people manager who has chosen the right people to manage under him and to me it's clear that the corporate culture has slowly festered under his leadership during the decades that he has led them.

I think he needs to step back, let someone new steer the ship and take more of a backseat role with less direct control over corporate policy.

All the righteous indignation does make me laugh though. As soon as those Nvidia cards are in stock the same people bashing them in this thread will be buying. It's like slagging off the Tories in public yet voting for them in private.
I'd love it if people went to AMD.
Will make getting a 3080 much easier.

You can criticise a political party and still vote for them if you think they are still better than the alternative... but anyway lets get some perspective here. Nvidias behaviour here in trying to pressure HWU is shady and they fully deserve some bad PR for these shenanigans, but it's not like they have just been exposed for using child slave labour. Lets keep things in context and lets all give Nvidia flack, but to me at least it's hardly a situation for outright boycotting their products.

Nvidia still for now make the best GPU's, and when spending close to a grand or more you want to get the best performance for your money. If 'everyone went to AMD' it would do the market and technological progress no favours and AMD don't even have the stock to cater to everyone anyway. They can't even supply the market share they have now, never mind everyone. It would be a disaster.

It's enough to see the tech community unifying over this and holding them to account and I hope this is something that continues well into the future. The realisation that techtubers (backed by their community base) and also Redditors, in combination with Twitter etc, have the power to get a strong negative message directly to millions of people very very quickly like wildfire may trigger genuine improvements in behaviour in a lot of companies now that they know they can't get away with this kind of thing so easily any more.

I believe we are witnessing a new and positive shift in the power balance of the tech media vs the corporations. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You can criticise a political party and still vote for them if you think they are still better than the alternative... but anyway lets get some perspective here. Nvidias behaviour here in trying to pressure HWU is shady and they fully deserve some bad PR for these shenanigans, but it's not like they have just been exposed for using child slave labour. Lets keep things in context and lets all give Nvidia flack, but to me at least it's hardly a situation for outright boycotting their products.

Nvidia still for now make the best GPU's, and when spending close to a grand or more you want to get the best performance for your money. If 'everyone went to AMD' it would do the market and technological progress no favours and AMD don't even have the stock to cater to everyone anyway. They can't even supply the market share they have now, never mind everyone. It would be a disaster.

^^^^^100% this.
As it happens, people would still carry on buying product from them anyway. What would have been more interesting would have been the "review sectors" long term reaction if Nvidia hadn't backtracked. I think the backtracking wasn't down to consumer anger, but "review sector" anger. Although there are a lot of review sites, it's obvious that a large proportion of them backed HU on this, with JayzTwoCent even saying he was placing Nvidia on his own "Black List". It's not beyond the realms of possibility that all the major reviewers could have come out and said the same thing. That would have had major implications for Nvidia going into the future, there is no doubt about that and Nvida realised that.

Soldato
It's not whataboutism. Not at all. And I am not a fan of either company, I think they both are as bad as each other.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in this thread, and those people who think AMD are above doing this sort of thing.

But, you know what, I am disappointed that you think I would be like that.

I appreciate it’s not particularly obvious from the timing of the posts but I was actually speaking generally rather than targeting your post, sorry for not making that clear.

There is of course merit in pointing out to people that are under the illusion that AMD is whiter than white that in fact both companies have (and will likely continue) to engage in anti-consumer behaviour. The whataboutism comment was more directed at those who are suggesting Nvidia has done nothing wrong here because AMD have also done stupid thing X.

Soldato
AMD is never anti consumer crowd likes to forget that just 1 year ago AMD launched CPUs that in reality ram 200mhz slower than advertised

Back
Top Bottom