• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Associate
woahhh woahh... they haven't been stopped from reviewing cards, they wont be getting early review samples - stop with the hyperbolic nonsense. If they want to review Nvidia stuff they will have to buy it or borrow it when available.

Oh yeah sorry you are right. I forgot that gpus have been widely available at every gpu launch in the past few years. God sake Steve just go buy a card its not hard.

Associate
woahhh woahh... they haven't been stopped from reviewing cards, they wont be getting early review samples - stop with the hyperbolic nonsense. If they want to review Nvidia stuff they will have to buy it or borrow it when available.

How are you not getting this? Or is it deliberate?

If you don't have a day one review for these products, you have no review that counts. You have no views, and you lose money.

It is a direct and intentional attack on their business, and a means to make an example of them in order to scare their peers.

Like a previous poster said, watch for a trend of RTX being featured more prominently in reviews, and know which reviewers are on nvidia's payroll.

Soldato
You can't flog a pig when the people want a horse. NVIDIA just don't get it that people don't want Ray Tracing. I mean my graphics card can't even cope with my monitor now, without Ray Tracing. Games keep on getting more difficult to process, monitors are getting faster and faster, larger and larger, and yet dumbo NVIDIA keep on selling us something that we are clearly not ready for. Honestly whoever has been doing their marketing for the past five years should be dragged in to the street and forced to listen to the gamers. We don't want Ray Tracing until we can do 300 fps with it!!!

Who doesn't want RT? I do. I'm playing Cyberpunk with RT and DLSS and absolutely loving it! My 4k OLED only has a 120Hz refresh rate but with g-sync anything aver 50 is very playable. I get that the majority don't have hardware that can run RT at acceptable fps yet but like it or not it is the future.

Associate
Who doesn't want RT? I do. I'm playing Cyberpunk with RT and DLSS and absolutely loving it! My 4k OLED only has a 120Hz refresh rate but with g-sync anything aver 50 is very playable. I get that the majority don't have hardware that can run RT at acceptable fps yet but like it or not it is the future.

RT feels like AA/AF pre 9700 Pro. Nice feature, very performance heavy. Ampere / RDNA2 are not the 9700 Pro moment for RT. Maybe next gen will be but I expect it will be the one after that can really do RT justice and make a feature you just default to on and don't worry about it.

Caporegime
Hardware Unboxed should do what Jeremy Clarkson would do, when Bently refused to give him a car to review he got a scrap Yugo and reviewed that like it was the Bently.

Take a really old Nvidia card and review that as if its the 3090.

Associate
How are you not getting this? Or is it deliberate?

If you don't have a day one review for these products, you have no review that counts. You have no views, and you lose money.

It is a direct and intentional attack on their business, and a means to make an example of them in order to scare their peers.

Like a previous poster said, watch for a trend of RTX being featured more prominently in reviews, and know which reviewers are on nvidia's payroll.
Explain to me why they have any right to any pre-release product for review? ........ Oh yeah, they don't. ANY company can CHOOSE who they send FREE pre-release products to. Again, I do not think it's a smart move from Nvidia but it's their free choice. I really don't think HU need you to worry about their revenue streams :p

Permabanned

Oh I agree it is the future, but I just think that right now NVIDIA is making too much of it. I think that most gamers want a high refresh rate more than they want RT. Sure, some people don't mind 50Hz, but a lot of people see that as a backwards step.

Caporegime
OP
Explain to me why they have any right to any pre-release product for review? ........ Oh yeah, they don't. ANY company can CHOOSE who they send FREE pre-release products to. Again, I do not think it's a smart move from Nvidia but it's their free choice. I really don't think HU need you to worry about their revenue streams :p
But do you understand the principle of why this is a crappy move from Nvidia?

Caporegime

Why so defensive? You're delibratly missing the point. No one, not even Hardware Unboxed give a crap that they are not getting Refrence cards to review from Nvidia, its the fact that Nvidia are trying to bully reviewers into submiting to thier editorial views, they want to control what people say about thier cards.

Soldato

100% correct - 4k RT/HDR on PC is the future. Nobody is arguing that.

I need 90fps solid otherwise i suffer from motion sickness from the yo-yo and i look forward to getting there eventually with my rigs.

I gotta tell you though, my purchasing decisions in next six months are based more around games like AC Odyssey and being able to run that at 90fps because i really want to experience the second half of the game in all its glory.

That is not a game in the future it’s a game years into the our past (pun not intended).

Reviewers being struck off the Christmas card list for covering games like this for people like me is not really on.

Soldato
I really can't see how anyone can't see this for what it is, irrespective of the reasons, its threatening other youtube reviewers to tow the line or else. It sets a dangerous precedent for ALL manufacturers to dictate to reviewers not only the content of their reviews but HOW they are going to do it. If this happens, and I can see it getting more prevalent especially when "incentives" are offered, then ultimately we'll be the ones to suffer as nobody will be able to view a "fully impartial" information to base our buying decisions on.
This is why I like "not an apple fan", he can be irritating at times and tends to ramble a bit, BUT I've seen him unload on Nvidia and AMD, for what ever reason and they're good rants too, full blown Irish venom, good to watch, but based on common sense, ie: price.

Associate
Why so defensive? You're delibratly missing the point. No one, not even Hardware Unboxed give a crap that they are not getting Refrence cards to review from Nvidia, its the fact that Nvidia are trying to bully reviewers into submiting to thier editorial views, they want to control what people say about thier cards.
No I'm not missing the point - my point is simple - they are not being *silenced*, Nvidia can't stop them reviewing their cards any more than Ford can stop me reviewing one of their cars.

Associate
nobody will be able to view a "fully impartial" information to base our buying decisions on.
This is why I like "not an apple fan", he can be irritating at times and tends to ramble a bit, BUT I've seen him unload on Nvidia and AMD, for what ever reason and they're good rants too, full blown Irish venom, good to watch, but based on common sense, ie: price.
and from what I've seen he is not one of the chosen channels to receive pre-release cards from Nvidia or AMD as he was trying to buy them like the rest of us. So....perhaps, just perhaps we can trust the opinions of people NOT getting freebees over those that do? Anyone receiving stuff early and for free has the potential to be bought. So maybe people might find more credence to any reviews on Nvidia stuff from HU in the future?

Soldato
No I'm not missing the point - my point is simple - they are not being *silenced*, Nvidia can't stop them reviewing their cards any more than Ford can stop me reviewing one of their cars.

I think the point you might be missing here is HU will not be affected by this as you rightly say, they can buy anything they want within reason and review it. What about the smaller youtubers just getting going that can't afford to buy the latest and greatest to review and would rely on the likes of Nvidia, AMD and lets not forget Intel. to provide review samples. they would be directly affected by this, so would/could/might have to tow the line and end up giving a skewed review for any and all products.
And at its basic level its as form of itimidation, nothing more nothing less.

Associate
and from what I've seen he is not one of the chosen channels to receive pre-release cards from Nvidia or AMD as he was trying to buy them like the rest of us. So....perhaps, just perhaps we can trust the opinions of people NOT getting freebees over those that do? Anyone receiving stuff early and for free has the potential to be bought. So maybe people might find more credence to any reviews on Nvidia stuff from HU in the future?

Very true. Freebies come with an inherent risk of positive bias, which is also a major problem when it comes to video game reviews. If their money is on the line the same as the rest of us, and they are not beholden to anyone to supply them with a review copy, then you should be getting a completely accurate appraisal.

Soldato
The point is stunningly obvious but is somehow drifting over your head. They were receiving pre-release cards up until today and Nvidia decided to stop that because they weren't featuring RT enough. No one will care about a day 200 review so they are effectively silencing them and threatening those who would act similarly.

Soldato

And thats why hes totally impartial and would be unaffected by any sanction/with hold of product of any review he does.

Associate
The point is stunningly obvious but is somehow drifting over your head. They were receiving pre-release cards up until today and Nvidia decided to stop that because they weren't featuring RT enough. No one will care about a day 200 review so they are effectively silencing them and threatening those who would act similarly.

I dont think he is ever going to get that this is coercing, nothing more, nothing less.

Back
Top Bottom