Wow @ This Gamerscore

Caporegime
I agree, I don't go out buying games to ADD to the gamerscore, however, I do like to get everything possible from a game before I sell it so I will play it until I reach as many points as I can.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
I agree, I don't go out buying games to ADD to the gamerscore, however, I do like to get everything possible from a game before I sell it so I will play it until I reach as many points as I can.
Once I've played through a game though, I can't be arsed going back through just to do certain things in less time, more kills, fewer bullets, etc.

Perhaps for sports games it's different, but if I've played through a story - very rarely will I go back to it.

Soldato
OP
naffa said:
It's so you can compare who gets out more.

Oh, please its not that bad.

Like ive said i wont go out and buy titles simply for points, and a lot of the multiplayer ones i wont get for a lot of games because i wont play them on Live, such as PDZ barely got any for that, GRAW on the other hand is different ill play that a lot more online, hence having more.

I dont get my score to compare against others - i get it to get the most out of a game.

I tend to go through games on the hardest difficulty aswell which means i get more achievement out of it anyway, as i rarely play through games more then once also.

Caporegime
RobertN said:
if you only do it for yourself why do you advertise your score in your sig ?

Likely for the same reason I do, to show people your name for the friends list, also people can see if you have the same games at a glance as them.

It was a default gamertag for me, if the numbers where not there I wouldnt care.

Soldato
OP
RobertN said:
if you only do it for yourself why do you advertise your score in your sig ?

More so for my gamertag, and info like my zone etc.. i dont care the scores on there - if i cared about scores i would have one a lot higher - plus i cant exactly remove it, when its part of the design

Soldato
McDaniel said:
More so for my gamertag, and info like my zone etc.. i dont care the scores on there - if i cared about scores i would have one a lot higher - plus i cant exactly remove it, when its part of the design
I thought you were getting drunk today ;)

Or haven't you started yet? :D

Associate
so would it not be easier to just write your xbox tag as for the games you own thing there is also an element of competing in that

btw not a personal attack on anyone this just stating my opinion

Soldato
OP
RobertN said:
so would it not be easier to just write your xbox tag as for the games you own thing there is also an element of competing in that

btw not a personal attack on anyone this just stating my opinion

i could, but this is prettier and most Live users have one its easy to identify what it is, and what its for. Plus by clicking it - if registered shows you if im online, allows you to send messages to my xbox etc..

Plus its pretty and i cba to make one with just my gamertag on cos im lazy - and its pre-hosted to :) so no need to host myself, w00p

Soldato
McDaniel said:
Later on dude, bout 2ish hours ;)
Already on the way myself - few mates here at the moment watching the Rugby (slating me for using the laptop!), then the Yankees v Mets game on NASN and finishing off with watching Lordi in the Euro song contest!!!!! :o

Soldato
OP
deSade said:
Already on the way myself - few mates here at the moment watching the Rugby (slating me for using the laptop!), then the Yankees v Mets game on NASN and finishing off with watching Lordi in the Euro song contest!!!!! :o

Ill prob have a blast online with the x360 abusing people drunk :D (people i kow of course) or singing.

Whats your drinking plan? im going ultimate girly tonight for quick drunkness, 1/2 pint vodka + lemonade, then a tonne of win - then hit the beers when i get to the pub later :D

Mix for the win :cool:

Should be a good night

Associate
so you agree with me that microsofts main motivation behind the gamertag thing is to get people to compete not to make your online experience easier

Permabanned
Everyone likes to show off. Lets no beat about the bush, its not how much you can afford to spend (within reason) nor is it how much you get out. The crux of it all is, however you wish to skew it, gamerscore or the completeness of games therein represents you skill at games.

At least in most cases.

It is unfortunate that not all dev's can conform to a set standard for points. It is without doubt that EA 'eased' the achievments in their early games, shrewdly noting that, at least in the initial race for highest gamerscore, people would buy all their games if they gave away easy 1000's.

Tho this unethical scenario does indeed skew the merit of the gamerpoints system, it is unlikely to continue, i believe this as i am want to think that it backfired a bit on EA and co in that game rentals in the states went off the scale during the early period. Mainly because people heard about these 'easy' achievements and decided against buying the game.

This hints at another shift in attitudes toward gaming. It indicates that, for many people, the goal of the game, rather than completion/unlocking/ending sequence, is achievements. These can now give the game a span of longevity. If you look at the achievements for PD0 for example, offering a plethora of points for extended online play, it's likely that the online community for this game will live on long into the future where the games relatively mediocre online element would have died.

If we're to give devs and indeed M$ benefit of the doubt with regaurd to these points and their application, then we can see some very interesting directions that gaming could follow. For games with complex or different online content, achievements could be used to force people to persevere and, all cynicism aside, perhaps find a really great angle to a game they would otherwise have completed and sold.

Similarily for single player oriented games, you could be pushed to master levels, or find all that hard worked on content the devs squirrelled away, uncover the story completely or simply set world beating times. Either way what is promoted when the system is used PROPERLY, is longevity and value for money.Of course its some cynical marketing ploy to make money, so is getting swimsuit models to pedal beer or guys with perfect abs on bilboards in CK boxers. So is EVERYTHING you see that promotes a purchase of ANYTHING. It just so happens that this marketing ploy in particular is in fact very, very good.

Of course for every well belanced, fantastically concieved, super challenging game. You are bound to get Army Men 10 from 3DO or some EA sport game seductivley proffering easy points for the price of a ticket. But truly i think due to the need of devs to sell and not just rent their games these will have to be in the minority. What i see, right at this moment and into the future, is a thriving console community built on a great ranking system that is almost completely immune to cheats and liars. In the past we would only have our largely unimpressed m8's to show our gaming prowess off to, now we can show it to the world, from our livingroom couch! We can blow crap outta americans while chatting the night away, we can race our exotic sports cars against everyone from some scottish 9 year old to Jensen Button, we can co-operate with people who we would never EVER have met in reality let alone talked to, and complete undercover spy missions. In truth Live!, the points system and indeed xbox as a gaming system, brings people together better than anything i've ever seen, its a fantastic package and a real triumph of the 21st century imo. Ive said it before and i'll say it again, well done M$, altho in truth my appreciation is better shown with my £££, which im now quite happy to do thank you very much..

Back
Top Bottom