Wow @ This Gamerscore

Soldato
OP
RobertN said:
so you agree with me that microsofts main motivation behind the gamertag thing is to get people to compete not to make your online experience easier

I think its to get more people involved online, and to get longer life out of games- and its pretty much worked, there will be a lot of people who will do it to compete, but so what - just means more people will use live and play games

Associate
my point is if it was just a high score table like on any game

(although these are less common in games these days)

say instead completing halflife 2 on the hardest level this would be a acheivment that was not broadcast over the internet would you still be as eager to get these acheivments i dont think so

so you are basicly playing games not because you are having fun but to compete with other people

not saying this is the case with everybody

Soldato
OP
RobertN said:
my point is if it was just a high score table like on any game

(although these are less common in games these days)

say instead completing halflife 2 on the hardest level this would be a acheivment that was not broadcast over the internet would you still be as eager to get these acheivments i dont think so

so you are basicly playing games not because you are having fun but to compete with other people

not saying this is the case with everybody

Its not though i dont want my achivements to compete with others, that dont bother me - people could have 100x more points then me - no biggy;

however the achievements make me wanna get more out of my games - and i still enjoy them i generally only buy games im sure ill like :p

Soldato
McDaniel said:
Its not though i dont want my achivements to compete with others, that dont bother me - people could have 100x more points then me - no biggy;

however the achievements make me wanna get more out of my games - and i still enjoy them i generally only buy games im sure ill like :p
I guess it's a bit like when we all used to go to the local arcade & try and beat the high score on Asteroids/Golden Axe/Tron (yes, I know I'm old!!).

There's nothing wrong with trying to be the best/better than others at a game.

Caporegime
Ultra_Extreme said:
It is without doubt that EA 'eased' the achievments in their early games, shrewdly noting that, at least in the initial race for highest gamerscore, people would buy all their games if they gave away easy 1000's...

Why do EA get slated all the time. 2ksports are even easier. NHL, NBA, College hoops are all named as an easy 1000.

It takes 20 minutes to get 750 points out of NHL, even if you play it against the AI (providing your semi ok with hockey games). The last 250 are a *****. Top spin 2 was another easy batch.

I'd say 2k sports are worse than EA.

To be honest like getting the achievements, but for myself. Not for anyone else. Getting them is fun but total acore is just about how much you have spent or rented.

Permabanned
crunchman said:
I was under the impression that competition was fun :confused:

Dont be ridiculous! Competition is cruel because it makes the loser feel worse than the winner, what are you?!? some kind of racist homophobe!?!

Wonder how long till they ban scores in games? Only the other day i heard that my nephews primary now do not mark papers or work because it encourages competition that may harm or offend. Probably some black or asian family saying its not fair (actually i know thats the case but for fear of reprisal from forumite ethnic groups i'll pretend its speculation)

Wow gone way OT

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
Dont be ridiculous! Competition is cruel because it makes the loser feel worse than the winner, what are you?!? some kind of racist homophobe!?!

Wonder how long till they ban scores in games? Only the other day i heard that my nephews primary now do not mark papers or work because it encourages competition that may harm or offend. Probably some black or asian family saying its not fair (actually i know thats the case but for fear of reprisal from forumite ethnic groups i'll pretend its speculation)

Wow gone way OT
I don't think it's the competition that bothers people, it's that it's over an insignificant number that nonplusses us.

By all means, try to beat one another's lap times on PGR3 or similar, I can see the appeal of that and think it's a fantastic feature of the 360. Online ranking systems and trying to better oneself are hardly going to be frowned upon.

But Gamerscores to me exist in a bizarre realm, inhabited by the likes of post counts and SETI scores, where grown adults seem to willingly spend their time trying to increase completely inconsequential numbers for no apparent reason, and then use said numbers as some kind of status symbol to lord over one another. It's an amazing example of mankind's ability to find something to compete over, no matter how unimportant, but I just don't get why people do it. Why would you:

Similarily for single player oriented games, you could be pushed to master levels, or find all that hard worked on content the devs squirrelled away, uncover the story completely or simply set world beating times. Either way what is promoted when the system is used PROPERLY, is longevity and value for money.

Purely for gamer points? If you enjoy the game, surely that's reason enough to complete the extras, but if you're doing it for the points alone, why?

What i see, right at this moment and into the future, is a thriving console community built on a great ranking system that is almost completely immune to cheats and liars. In the past we would only have our largely unimpressed m8's to show our gaming prowess off to, now we can show it to the world, from our livingroom couch! We can blow crap outta americans while chatting the night away, we can race our exotic sports cars against everyone from some scottish 9 year old to Jensen Button, we can co-operate with people who we would never EVER have met in reality let alone talked to, and complete undercover spy missions. In truth Live!, the points system and indeed xbox as a gaming system, brings people together better than anything i've ever seen, its a fantastic package and a real triumph of the 21st century imo. Ive said it before and i'll say it again, well done M$, altho in truth my appreciation is better shown with my £££, which im now quite happy to do thank you very much..
None of this makes a remotely compelling argument imo, you can do all of that quite capably without Gamerscores.

As the others have said, I'm not knocking people's desire to do this in any way, I just honestly don't understand the reasoning behind it. Willy-waving is bad enough most of the time, but over something so pointless?

Associate
so now most people admit that they are competing and in order to do this they have to buy more games

i am not saying this is right or wrong only you can be the judge of that

my original point

get people to compete and spend more money

Permabanned
Weebull said:
snippysnippy

The second part i agree with. that was more me bigging up the Live! system and its capabilities.

What i cannot defend is personal goals and achievements. What about the kid who collects all the stickers to complete an album? Is he a sucker for over marketed junk that is made "must-have" through sinister marketing ploys? Or does he just feel good to have collected the whole set of something? Does the man who owns the brand new ford fiesta do so because of in-your-face advertising emblazoned with gorgeous women and happy looking families? or does he just want for some intangible reason, a new Fiesta?

Why do any of us strive to anything? Thats not a question i'm even willing to tackle, we do that which we do for our own reasons. Sometimes to better others, sometimes just to better ourselves. Sometimes we dont do it at all, but we enjoy to watch others compete for it, tho this is usually out of our own insecurities and feelings of doubt that we ourselves could do it.

Lets face it, you have the gamerpoints system right? For arguments sake lets say 50% love it and 50% hate it. Id wager that HALF the 50% who hate it do so PURELY because for various reasons relating to age/finances/ability they cannot compete. Sure as hell id be against a system that made me look inferior at gaming, wouldnt you? So then you have the 25% or so (i suspect less) who truly in their heart of hearts, just enjoy a quick blast here and there or only ever play a game for fun etc.

I only argue that MOST people complete games, especially single player games, for a sense of achievment, lets face it games are challenges and humans love challenges. So if you are in any way a gamer you HAVE to love having a reflection of you merits. IMO that score COULD be just for me, i would still play for every damn point. I'm not showing off to the world in any way, at least not conciously, but i am tangibly achieveing something with each point, and it makes me feel good about putting time into games. I do not care how it makes others feel, it makes me feel nice and content, like the kid with his pointless full sticker album. I can only think to knock it that YOU should have a slightly better argument than 'theres no point' tbh

Caporegime
I agree, weebull your argument seems to be lording it up over others and willy waving? Yet ive not yet in all the months Ive had a 360 heard or read anyone on here mention how good they are because of their gamerscore, or how crap anyone else must be.

Where's the examples of willy waving?

I've not had anyone do it on live either. The nearest example is an american who checked my tag and kept going on about me getting a cheap 1000 from fifa. I just ignored him.

Its a neat system imho, I likely wouldve just flited through tomb raider with out the points system. It made me look for relics I didnt really need, if I just wanted to finish the game.

I dont see any harm in it at all. It doesnt make me play a game I hate. I got rid off blazing angels before getting a single unlock, even though they are easy enough.

My gamerscore is higher than the people Ive been playing on live, say Krono. Mines 3 times higher than his, but he's 3 times better than me at Graw. Mcdaniels is lower than mine but I doubt very much I could beat him at PGR (he rams to win ;) ). So I dont even see it as a score of abilty, just fun for yourself trying to get unlocks to carry on with a game you may have forgotten about otherwise. Not because your playing a game you dont like but sometimes the unlocks steer you to explore parts or ways of playing the game you wouldnt normally bother with.

Back
Top Bottom