1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by n3x, 1 Feb 2006.

1. n3x

Hitman

I used to have an LG dvd-ram drive from which i could drag and drop files to and from just as it were a hard drive... ive recently moved to an nec 4550 and it gives me an error each time i try to do the same thing... can anyone help me out? could it be that i need an update of some kind?

2. smids

Soldato

Is the disk formatted to UDF2.0? Try doing that with Nero or the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver. I think there are some oddities with the NEC drives and DVD-RAM. Try over at CDfreaks as you are more likely to get some good info from there.

3. n3x

Hitman

Yeah ive tried everything i can think of!

I've been reading on the net and it looks like the NEC doesnt support the imation dvd-ram's that im using. People have recommended getting panasonic ones.

Can people using the same drive or even the 4551 let me know what brand DVD-RAM discs that you are using as they dont come cheap and i would like to know which ones will work before i hand my money over!

4. Rambaud

Wise Guy

I have a NEC 4550 and have no problems with DVD-RAM. I am using Maxell 5x speed discs.

I use FAT32, which is better suited to smaller files, and this can be formatted natively under Windows XP (probably Windows 2000 also).

If you want UDF, you will need a driver. Check out CDFreaks, as I think there was a discussion on DVD-RAM drivers a few weeks ago. Mine is dated June 2005, so there may be a later one by now.