1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-FI Fatality to z-5500's

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Psypher5, 10 Jan 2006.

1. Psypher5

Sgarrista

Heya, so made my mind up and getting on of these anytime soon. (The X-FI, already got the speakers)

Before and atm I connect speakers via coax. Direct into onboard and also into digital out on my audigy2.

Wondering best way to connect these two together, as I have read and witnessed lack of rears with the audigy2 via coax.. is this still the same for the x-fi or do the rears actually work via coax ?

Also does everything that workes via analogue input work via digital, EAX and whatnot?

Just asking a few random Q's before finalising my way of spending 150quid for this bleeding thing.

//Is the software any easier to get a grip of than the audigy2? Dear, if its as bad I'll just stick with the jitteryness/hissing in bf2 thankyou :)

~Psy

2. Psypher5

Sgarrista

No one, they aren't really brain racking questions :p

3. darkoroje

Associate

you have to connect via analog if you want to get rear channels, except when playing a DVD.

The software is improved but you can install drivers only if you don't like Creative's software, altough you will lose control over many card features.

4. Psypher5

Sgarrista

Even with the fatality? I thought having the front panel with digital connections, they would have let it link up correctly in order to allow full 5.1 via digital?

//just been doing some forum scouring, looks like ill be using the analogue cables too :)

Last edited: 11 Jan 2006
  5. Xon

Wise Guy

6. Steedie

Man of Honour

where can you buy one of those (email in trust)

7. Mud

Mobster

Sorry for slight highjack, but am I correct in thinking I can connect my shuttle by SPDIF Toslink and my X-FI Fatal1ty'd tower by 3x3.5mm->6 phonos and switch between them for 5.1 on each? The logitech spec of "6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards" makes it sound like they're just male/male 3.5mm stereo cables, which is doable, but I'd like to know.

8. Xon

Wise Guy

The logitech will accept 3x3.5mm for analogue input, one coax and one optical for digital. So to connect your fatality u need a cable with 3x3.5mm at both ends. The decoder part of the unit won't be used when doing that tho.

9. Mud

Mobster

Many thanks.

10. Mud

Mobster

One more thing, if I set the Dolby Digital bitstream out to off (built-in decoder), do I regain the Dolby Surround and DTS encoding?

11. Xon

Wise Guy

Encoding?

If you set it to off the card will just decode the DD/DTS signal itself instead of passing it out through the optical / coax connection.

12. Mud

Mobster

I meant decode, sorry.