• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT Display corruption

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Funny you should say that about the 2x devices in device manager, i have those 2x as well unknown, and they are not the WDM drivers, as ive installed those again, and i still get the 2x unknowns, now funny thing is when i had everything installed on my old motherboard, and i installed the chuck patch, i had everything, i didnt have 2x unknowns in device manager at all, but since ive got a new board and did a fresh install, ive got them appearing, and i can't for the life of me think what it was that ive missed for them, as ive obviously had whatever they are on my old install on my old board. :D
That's weird. :confused: Before I load any graphics drivers, I get the two "hardware detected" (X1800 primary and X1800 secondary) screens, and it leaves me with two unknown devices aside from those. Then I usually install the Catalyst 6.3 or 6.4 display driver, which still leaves me with two unkown devices, and reboot. Once rebooted, I install the matching Catalyst 6.3 or 6.4 WDM Integrated Driver and reboot, at which point those two devices are detected by Windows XP as the NSB something? and the Rage Theatre Chip or something.

This is before I even get around to installing the Chuck patch, but I have noticed that if I install the display driver then the WDM driver without rebooting inbetween, then reboot, the unknown devices stay until I uninstall my drivers and try again with reboots after every step. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Minstadave said:
Sorry to revive a thread, but does anyone else get corruption of the DFI BIOS Screen (the big lanparty one) with their x1800xt. After battling away getting my waterblock on the card, I powered up for the first time to see a corrupted LanParty logo and unleashed a torrent of obsenities, only to find that once past that screen everything is fine, just played BF2 for a couple of hours quite happily. :confused:

I've never had the card on air so I don't know if this is normal.

update the mobo bios

Because benchmarks show that 99% of games out there don't benefit from 512MB of video memory, and it's much cheaper. *Is a Scrooge and proud.*

erm, no the x18/900 need the 512mb, they love bandwidth and large amounts of mem, they suffer quite a lot in the 'small' 256mb model.

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
erm, no the x18/900 need the 512mb, they love bandwidth and large amounts of mem, they suffer quite a lot in the 'small' 256mb model.
No they don't. *Points to sig.* :) The only game I've come across that truely benefits from 512MB memory is Call Of Duty 2. Sure, the X1*00 series "love" large amounts of memory, but that doesn't matter if the games don't.

Not X1800 specifically, but Anandtech and Firing Squad seem to agree. I've had this debate hundreds of times, and I'm usually the only one who can be bothered to look for benchmarks. If you have any showing the contrary, I would be happy to take a look.

Last edited:
Associate
the less memory equipped cards are often faster then the bigger brthers in the lower resolutions ~1280x1024. theres been a bit of discussion on this in threads on here :)

Caporegime
Minstadave said:
Sorry to revive a thread, but does anyone else get corruption of the DFI BIOS Screen (the big lanparty one) with their x1800xt. After battling away getting my waterblock on the card, I powered up for the first time to see a corrupted LanParty logo and unleashed a torrent of obsenities, only to find that once past that screen everything is fine, just played BF2 for a couple of hours quite happily. :confused:

I've never had the card on air so I don't know if this is normal.

Yeah thats normal, i used to get that on my DFi LanParty RDX200 Crossfire, it looks like its about 8 colours or summit lol, its only a pic so its not worth worrying about, i just turned it off from displaying in the BIOS, got an Asus A8R-MVP now though. :)

Caporegime
fullfat said:
the less memory equipped cards are often faster then the bigger brthers in the lower resolutions ~1280x1024. theres been a bit of discussion on this in threads on here :)

Yeah thats true, the 256mb x1800 XT is faster than the 512mb at resolutions 1024x768 and below. :)

Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
Yeah thats normal, i used to get that on my DFi LanParty RDX200 Crossfire, it looks like its about 8 colours or summit lol, its only a pic so its not worth worrying about, i just turned it off from displaying in the BIOS, got an Asus A8R-MVP now though. :)

Thats what I like to hear, thanks mate :) When I first saw that I was seriously not happy :D

Soldato
Reading this thread has put my fears to rest... Since I put my new card in a couple weeks back I've been getting corruption just before the logon screen. Was worried it was dodgy RAM or something and was nearly going to RMA it!

Associate
I get this too, i've never worried about it though cause my PC runs perfect with no problems in games and thats all i care about. Doesn't happen with the 6.3's so maybe it is a new kind of test they have put in.

Associate
Happens with mine as well.

While I am here, do you think there would be a good UK market for X1800 Crossfire Edition card? I have both X1800 and X1900 in crossfire running here and only really need one.

Back
Top Bottom