X470 or X570 - Power concerns?

Associate
Hi all,

Is it worth paying the extra £150+ for the X570 chipset now and future proofing myself with PCIe 4.0?

I am concerned about the current power consumption differences between the two chipsets and do not want my electric bill to go through the roof.

I am planning on doing the following upgrade atm:

USE: Gaming mainly but occasional Photoshop and ripping blu rays (handbrake and mkv).

CPU: Either the R7 3700X, though probably the R9 3900X
M/B: Asus ROG Hero x470 or x570
RAM: 3600MHz 32GB kit (CL16) or 3200MHz if prices are ridiculous
OS HDD: NVMe Corsair MP510 480GB

TrM

TrM

Associate
Hi all,

Is it worth paying the extra £150+ for the X570 chipset now and future proofing myself with PCIe 4.0?

I am concerned about the current power consumption differences between the two chipsets and do not want my electric bill to go through the roof.

I am planning on doing the following upgrade atm:

USE: Gaming mainly but occasional Photoshop and ripping blu rays (handbrake and mkv).

CPU: Either the R7 3700X, though probably the R9 3900X
M/B: Asus ROG Hero x470 or x570
RAM: 3600MHz 32GB kit (CL16) or 3200MHz if prices are ridiculous
OS HDD: NVMe Corsair MP510 480GB

Whilst I went with a x570 I do have some buyers remorse if I’m honest.
As far as chipset and power draw there about equal and a good x470 has enough vrm for a 3900x the main difference apart from looks and maybe a 3rd m.2 slot on it and pic express 4 that’s the only real differences

As for future proofing is never a bad idea but with the premium you are paying for a x570 that will disappear over the next 2 to 3 years so will the chipset fan (hopefully)

You can’t go wrong with either but my advice is if u don’t need pci express 4 now I would go for a x470 motherboard or even a b450 max motherboard

Associate
At this time PCIe 4 is pretty much pointless. GFX can't make real use of the extra bandwidth just yet, and PCIe 3 NVME drives are already seriously quick (and cheaper than PCIe 4 variants).

If you must have best performance at any cost go X570, else B450 / X470 is the value option.

Associate
What is the x470 board to buy?
Id be interested to hear too, although the expensive X470 boards can be as much as the X570 counterparts.

I guess with X470 you dont have to worry about the fan. Do X570 boards give you higher limits for boosting? My X370 board is showing a max of 95 A TDC and a 140 A EDC (In Ryzen Master). thanks!

Man of Honour
When I was looking at it the poor X470 boards were not worth buying (get a good B450 instead). The good X470 boards were too close to decent low to mid range X570. So I went X570.

Soldato
Crosshair VII Hero (I now have the WiFi version for my 3700X) is a very good board. It's close in price to the lower end X570 boards, but doesn't have the 'futureproof' features that won't be necessary for a few years yet, doesn't have a noisy 40mm fan on the chipset and does have useful buttons on the board and a status indicator. Both of those are very handy for first start-ups and OC'ing.

Associate
Crosshair VII Hero (I now have the WiFi version for my 3700X) is a very good board. It's close in price to the lower end X570 boards, but doesn't have the 'futureproof' features that won't be necessary for a few years yet, doesn't have a noisy 40mm fan on the chipset and does have useful buttons on the board and a status indicator. Both of those are very handy for first start-ups and OC'ing.
Im thinking about that board now too - I was looking at the Gigabye X570 Pro, but saw a post on here saying people were having problems with it. I really hate the idea of a PCH fan. If you have ryzen master, what values do you have for TDC and EDC? thanks!

Soldato
Im thinking about that board now too - I was looking at the Gigabye X570 Pro, but saw a post on here saying people were having problems with it. I really hate the idea of a PCH fan. If you have ryzen master, what values do you have for TDC and EDC? thanks!

TDC reads as 60A, EDC as 90A. Everything is set to default boost settings, default RAM timings and speed. I will mess with it over christmas when I put my other two RAM sticks in though. :)

Just stuck Prime95 on with its most torturous setting. Under a Dark Rock 4, my 3700X sits at 74C at 3.82GHz all cores, EDC currently reads 94% of total. My TDC just reads 0% all the time and PPT hits 10% (they can't be right?!). I've never used Ryzen Master before, so I have no idea of how it all works. My PC is almost whisper quiet on full speed fans.

Last edited:
Associate
TDC reads as 60A, EDC as 90A. Everything is set to default boost settings, default RAM timings and speed. I will mess with it over christmas when I put my other two RAM sticks in though. :)

Just stuck Prime95 on with its most torturous setting. Under a Dark Rock 4, my 3700X sits at 74C at 3.82GHz all cores, EDC currently reads 94% of total. My TDC just reads 0% all the time and PPT hits 10% (they can't be right?!). I've never used Ryzen Master before, so I have no idea of how it all works. My PC is almost whisper quiet on full speed fans.
Thanks for the info, myself I have a 3900x. In Ryzen master I see a TDC of 95 A and a EDC of 140 A. I thought these values might increase with different boards, maybe with X570? PBO? not sure.

When I use Prime95 my TDC hits 100%. Its strange your one reads 0-10% - maybe a bug somewhere? although sounds like working correctly.

In Prime95 im seeing 3.810Ghz all core, which seems a little low? why I think another board might allow it to boost better? my X370 board is only a Gigabyte K5.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info, myself I have a 3900x. In Ryzen master I see a TDC of 95 A and a EDC of 140 A. I thought these values might increase with different boards, maybe with X570? PBO? not sure.

When I use Prime95 my TDC hits 100%. Its strange your one reads 0-10% - maybe a bug somewhere? although sounds like working correctly.

In Prime95 im seeing 3.810Ghz all core, which seems a little low? why I think another board might allow it to boost better? my X370 board is only a Gigabyte K5.

Yeah, it's likely a software bug either with the motherboard and how it puts out the info or the actual program. At 3.8GHz, your 3900X is still running at the base clock for all cores so I guess you're running fine. I'm more used to Intel, but mine seems to only increase speeds dramatically when 1/2/4 cores are used and instantly drops back for all cores. I think this was what the hoo-hah about AMD's marketing of boost speeds was all about.

Back
Top Bottom