X570 motherboard recommendations

Soldato
Hi,
I'm looking for a good solid reliable motherboard, and wonder if anyone has some recommendations?

I'm looking for one that will support:
  • Two m.2 NVME drives at pcie 4.0....I think from what I read this might mean x570 rather than b550 - is that right?
  • Integrated bluetooth
  • Integrated wifi

The plan will be to add something like a 3080 or similar AMD spec early next year.

I wont be overclocking.

I was looking at the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra - thoughts on that one?

Soldato
OP
Not sure yet.....maybe up to a 3900xt. Does the CPU make a difference to the motherboard? Do some have compatibility issues or something?

Associate
I'm no expert myself, but I believe higher-clocked CPUs put more of a strain on the MOBO, so you want something with a well-regarded VRM so it doesn't get toasty hot when the CPU is under load.

Hardware Unboxed have a series of YT videos on X570 boards that are worth watching.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. Watched a few vids - the Gigabyte Aorus ones seem to do reasonably well in terms of temps. Did end up landing on another channel who pointed out there's very little difference between the Pro Wifi and the Ultra, which is interesting.

Soldato
X570 elite /pro will do you well.

If you've got the cash but don't want to pay x570 master level £350 then B550 Master can run 3 PCIe 4.0 but with GPU at 8x bandwidth

Pro and Ultra pretty much the same bar the cooling. Elite has lesser PCB

GamersNexus did could review in rtx 3080 PCIe gen 3.0 Vs 4.0 . What will really effect it is RTX IO coming next year with good NVMe drive

Soldato
Any proper X570 boards have overkill VRM for all stock CPUs.
For example combined absolute theoretical max output of X570 Aorus Elite's powerstages is 600A.
While ~100A is peak draw of stock CPUs.
At which load power losses are such low that powerstages basically wouldn't overheat without any heatsinks.

For Wifi and BT choise is MSI X570 Tomahawk, whose VRM is just bat crazy overkill and without shutting down some phases doesn't even reach best efficiency until like 150A load.
(after half of MSI's X570 range being with crap VRM for the money)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

Soldato
@EsaT prepare yourself for vrm overload when x670 rocks up

If the b550 master was rocking up straight 14x70amps ... Might see 90amps like z490 used.
Got a feeling with Zen3 they'll allow you to chuck voltage at it to get some speed to nurf the eff gain .

1000w PSU will be norm again thanks to Nvidia so might as well push them :D... That or intel 11th haha

Back
Top Bottom