X570 or X470?

Associate
Hi all,

I'll be upgrading to Ryzen 3000 series towards the end of August/beginning of September.

Given prices of the X570 expected, is it worth the extra input of cash or should I just get a X470?

Or is it too early to tell if the 3000 series CPU's are affected in terms of performance by the older chipset?

Associate
You have time to see what the reviews are like. Also, the prices may drop a bit by end of August and not all x570 boards are going to be hundreds of pounds - there will be lower end boards that may be perfectly adequate for your use-case. You may not have to wait much longer for the B550 boards either so it may be worth waiting a bit longer for those.

Associate
I 2nd that, See the Reviews & Prices from the 7th & then make your mind up :)

3000 series CPU's performance be around the same on the older b450/x470 chipset
this all be tested from the 7th to show you .

Soldato
For me a platform change is something I very rarely do and I expect my board to last 4+ years.

As someone moving from Intel I'll be going x570, why wouldn't you? In my mind the only real reason not to go x570 is if you are already on an compatible AM4 platform.

Soldato
For me a platform change is something I very rarely do and I expect my board to last 4+ years.

As someone moving from Intel I'll be going x570, why wouldn't you? In my mind the only real reason not to go x570 is if you are already on an compatible AM4 platform.

Well, that and the very high pricing of X570 boards for very little more of real world gaming value. For OC'ers and tweakers its a different matter of course.

Soldato
You don't go to Ryzen 3000 for gaming performance on a budget though so kind of a moot point.
Agreed, in the x570 - but the 3600/X in a MSI b450 Pro Carbon makes a great little gaming system for the money - and the performance leaks look very impressive.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate at the moment x570 does not offer anything over existing platforms for gaming. But even the cost consciousness must appreciate the benefit of X570 in the long run where arguably they would be on the same motherboard for 4-6 years.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate at the moment x570 does not offer anything over existing platforms for gaming. But even the cost consciousness must appreciate the benefit of X570 in the long run where arguably they would be on the same motherboard for 4-6 years.
Oh, no disagreement on that front, if you need to establish a base to upgrade/adapt and push the cores of future CPU upgrades. Especially with Gigabyte advertising the Xtreme 'designed for 16+ cores' (info credit @orbitalwalsh).

Soldato
Hi all,

I'll be upgrading to Ryzen 3000 series towards the end of August/beginning of September.

Given prices of the X570 expected, is it worth the extra input of cash or should I just get a X470?

Or is it too early to tell if the 3000 series CPU's are affected in terms of performance by the older chipset?

As others have said, first check out reviews, the only thing I see the difference between RyZen 2000 and RyZen 3000 is a slight increase in core speed (an average of 200-300mhz....nothing) and IPC, everyday usage you probably wouldnt notice any difference, and then obviously RyZen 3000 comes with PCI-e 4.0..........ask yourself, are you going to change everything else in your system to PCI-e 4 devices, if the answer is no, then get a RyZen 2000 for 2 3rds of the price and get an X570 board, you can always upgrade the CPU later, this is what I intend to do, but not before ive seen reviews......any serious problems with motherboards, sometimes a bios update isnt enough and they release another revision of it, and you're left with the 1st release.

Ok Ryzen 2000 will only give you PCI-e 3.0 but if youre not changing everything in your system, then it doesnt matter, it still provides the same amount of PCI-e lanes to everything.

Soldato
X570 and ryzen 2, not the other way round. Why would you make it harder? Changing the whole motherboard is annoying.

A Ryzen 3000 CPU in my X470 motherboard isnt going to change anything at all.......its not going to give me any extra PCI-e lanes over my 2700X, no extra M.2 slots, no better aesthetics etc, however changing the motherboard to X570 instead of X470 even using my RyZen 2700X will give me all of the above, even if its only in PCI-e 3.0 instead of 4.0, i'll still get the extra M.2 slots, the better looks, and the 20 PCI-e lanes from the new chipset even if they are limited to 3.0 instead of 4.0 because of the CPU, if anything, the chipset fan will probably run quieter as its running at the lesser spec.

Ive only just brought a Radeon VII which is PCI-e 3.0, Im completely in love with it, ive got no intentions of changing it anytime soon, so PCI-e 4.0 is a loose loose for me, 3.2gb/s nvme Samsung evo 970's are PCI-e 3.0, I already have 2, I really dont think the small bump to 5gb/s with a PCI-e 4.0 nvme drive is going to be much noticable, if at all, to benefit from PCI-e 4.0 you'll need to change everything, Motherboard, CPU, Drives, GPU, the lot.

Last edited:
Soldato

It only works if in the long run it works out less in cost and the performance is better, and the transition between technologies is spread out well.

If you bought in at Zen, with a good X370 board then it's going to work out great for you as in all likelihood you'll be able to drop in a Ryzen 4xxx CPU next year, but getting an X570 is a different proposition especially given the higher prices and the length of time left for the socket.

Using an example, take a well specified B450 board at £100-115, which will easily take a 3900X and run the RAM at optimal speeds. Missing the PCI-E 4.0 is only beneficial if you make use of it when it is current, which is not going to be as long as PCI-E 3.0 as 5.0 will be here no later than 2021 and socket AM5/115x or whatever Intel use, as well as DDR5, and maybe some competitive CPU's on 10nm from Intel by them (big maybe), now compare that against the cost of a mid-range X570 at £270-300, is spending 230-300% more wise? Especially when you'd just be able to swap it for an X570/X670 board in 2020/21 if you need those features at a lesser cost than you can get an X570 for now.

The point is, long term only works when the TCO vs. performance is better, and features don't or standards don't change. or you adopted early.

Soldato
There's no strong evidence that a b450 will run decent memory speeds or a 3900x at the moment though. There's speculation as to the probability of running it based on VRM capacity etc but no guarantees. It might once everything is in the wild and tested but who knows, it might not.

DDR5 and a PCI-E 5.0 is kind of a moot point anyway as both or either will require a platform update anyway.

Soldato
There's no strong evidence that a b450 will run decent memory speeds or a 3900x at the moment though. There's speculation as to the probability of running it based on VRM capacity etc but no guarantees. It might once everything is in the wild and tested but who knows, it might not.

I assume you've had no experience with the AM4 platform then? I have an ITX B350 board running 3466 C14, and it does C16 3600+ on a 2200G. As for the speculation, no it isn't, the 3900X will run fine in any board rated to run the 2700X at stock speeds, the VRM only comes into it with PBO, and manual overclocking.

DDR5 and a PCI-E 5.0 is kind of a moot point anyway as both or either will require a platform update anyway.

No, that was entirely the point. Why spend £300 on a board, when a £100 board will do the same job? We aren't in the age of stagnation like when the 2500K was launched, things will be changing relativity quickly and as such spending more doesn't make a good investment like it did back then. People didn't realise at the time how good that investment would be, and there was no great premium for going for a slightly better board. The £200 you saved can go towards a platform change which will then likely last 5+ years, since you'll be on the latest platform from all aspects. Each to their own however.

Associate
Unless you really need PCI-e 4.0 there really is no point. The boards will cost a fair bit more, even the lowest end X570 will be around $200/£200~ The B550 will be the better option when they are finally released, they will be cheaper since they won't support PCI-e 4.0. A good B450/X470 will be plenty, as long as you get one with a good vrm/vrm cooling it will be fine for the 16 core.

Back
Top Bottom