X79 Overclocking Guide

Man of Honour
you should be able to use all c states matt and speedstep,ive never had trouble with them

cant see x79 being any different,you might need few clicks more offset than a fixed voltage tho

Speedstep has usually been OK but I've definitely found X79 can be more picky about c states than other platforms I've overclocked on.

Caporegime
Ok so i enbaled all C states, pc locked up and turned itself off. I've now disabled C state 3 and 7 and just left C1E and C6 running and so far so good. I will try C3 and see if that works, but i think it may be C7 that is the problem. I noticed that C3 and C7 are disabled at default settings so...

Now using -0.030v at 4.4ghz.

Caporegime
I wish i had not tried to enable C3, now my pc is throwing a spazz, even with all states disabled lol. I've now had to set the voltage manually to 1.4v to get things back under control. Here we go again. Hopefully i can work back to a negative voltage offset of -0.030v ish and then just enable C1E. Think ill leave the rest alone.

Caporegime
What does memory efficiency mean and is my score any good?

VTGOSDf.jpg

One other question, i found some 8 pack timings for scotty. His timings are looser than mine yet he has a higher efficiency than me. Why is that, is there some timings i should change? I notice he is using BCLK 103, could that be the reason for the difference? I'm using 100.1 BCLK.

ujbgOlb.jpg

Man of Honour
Wouldn't go mad tweaking the RAM unless your trying to hit a WR or have some mad multi GPU, 6+ (actual) core CPU system as the actual realworld performance gain will be minimal to non-existent as a generalisation once you hit CAS9 @ 2400 the 2nd/3rd timings don't tend to contribute hugely outside of a few benchmarks/highly specific tasks.

Caporegime
I enjoy tweaking and making my system as absolutely fast as it can be, so I'm always keen for ways to improve and tighten my ram even further. This kit was £300 (got it for £250 tho) so i want to get my moneys worth! Maybe i should leave the timings and start focusing on using a strap now.

Caporegime
Yep Tone, great memory i must say. Not sure if it's worth that much mind, but it just works so well. I think i might be able to lower TRTP, TCKE to 4 and TFAW to 20. Will try that. Not sure about TWTR to 4 as last time that caused instability. I'm running the dims close to 1.7v hope that's ok for 24/7. Think they're about 1.675v-1.68v atm.

Soldato
Efficiency score isn't really a realistic performance gauge. You can wack down the refresh interval on some sticks to silly low and it will give you a huge efficiency but the performance will be slower.

Also I found c8-9-9 to be slower than c8-10-10 at 2133

One of mine died at 1.7v but don't let that stop you :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Efficiency score isn't really a realistic performance gauge. You can wack down the refresh interval on some sticks to silly low and it will give you a huge efficiency but the performance will be slower.

Also I found c8-9-9 to be slower than c8-10-10 at 2133

One of mine died at 1.7v but don't let that stop you :p

I used to run my sammys near 1.7v, so I'd like to think these sticks are up to it? They're under warranty so as long as im not being overly dangerous with them, im happy to run max of 1.7v for 24/7. I always really like the idea of 4.8ghz with 2400mhz memory for 24/7, but it needs a lot of vcore on the cpu. Over 1.45v i believe. :(

Soldato
I think they're fine mate. I can't say for sure but honestly I think one of my sticks was gammy from the off as I had issues initially getting it to register anyway. Just so happened it died when I was putting that voltage through it. Made me wonder though as they obviously come out of the factory at 1.3v so it's quite a jump, memory degrades pretty quickly compared to most things.

Caporegime
Well i have this bang on stable at 4.4Ghz and now testing 4.6ghz and i don't envisage any problems. Looks like i will need 1.4v or just a tad under for 4.6.

ptPI4PZ.jpg

eeXjzyT.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom