• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X800 GTO2 Thread, post your mods and clocks here.

Associate
Just flashed mine with the Crucial X850XT bios !!
This bios is for the VGA/DVI X850 cards, same layout as the GTO2 :)
Using ATi Tool to speed up the fan, it works great as a fully fledged X850XT!!
Will try for more later, when i get my w/cooling back up :)
I already know the memory goes beyond the PE speeds :)

Associate
Thinking of getting one of these until the X1800XT is available at realistic prices.

Could someone who has flashed it and increased memory settings etc tell me if the fan is loud?

Soldato
Bito said:
Just flashed mine with the Crucial X850XT bios !!
This bios is for the VGA/DVI X850 cards, same layout as the GTO2 :)
Using ATi Tool to speed up the fan, it works great as a fully fledged X850XT!!
Will try for more later, when i get my w/cooling back up :)
I already know the memory goes beyond the PE speeds :)

Did you manage to enable the other four pipelines and what does the card now clock to?
Personally I'm not too fussed about the fan noise, you can always slap something like a Zalman or arctic cooler on it.

Associate
Mine turned up yesterday., along with a new mobo. (Previously had an HIS 9800Pro 128mb)

After re-installing Windows, a bit of tweaking with ATI Tray Tool / ATI Tool, this is the highest i've had it:

Core: 400mhz > 550Mhz (Stable)
Memory: 490mhz > 580Mhz (Stable)

I've dropped it back to 520 Core / 540 Mem for now until I fit the arctic cooler (hopefully reduce the fan noise!), then I'll do more testing

Also successfully modded it to 16 Pipelines, as per techpowerup instructions.

Quite impressed so far, since I just wanted a cheap card for the time being so I could go PCI Express.

Hopefully fit the Arctic Cooler at the weekend...then we'll see ;)

Last edited:
Associate
pieman109 said:
Did you manage to enable the other four pipelines and what does the card now clock to?
Personally I'm not too fussed about the fan noise, you can always slap something like a Zalman or arctic cooler on it.

Yes i did unlock the other four pipelines.....the card is now seen as a full x850xt by windows and is running at the std x850xt speeds.

Permabanned
OP
is an arctic cooler going to be needed on this ? if your not bothered about the noise like me (i own a system with 120mm akasa case fan pushing a few thousand cubic feet a minute) cant i just turn the fans up a touch...

Associate
locutus12 said:
is an arctic cooler going to be needed on this ? if your not bothered about the noise like me (i own a system with 120mm akasa case fan pushing a few thousand cubic feet a minute) cant i just turn the fans up a touch...

Its down to personal preference I guess. Generally they tend to keep the case a bit cooler, and the one one my 9800 was pretty quiet. quite a good overview Here

Seemed to be about 15 degrees diff between stock and the arctic for both dynamic fan control & just running at 100% (under load)

Permabanned
OP
well my radeon 9800pro i fitted with ram sinks and an arctic cooler as the cooler that came with them was to be honest awful! :p tiny bit of allow with a crappy plastic bit pretending to be a fan... but the gto2`s seem to have abit more to them in the cooling department... ah well, i will run it without first and see what the temps are like...

Associate
Wr8ith said:
Its down to personal preference I guess. Generally they tend to keep the case a bit cooler, and the one one my 9800 was pretty quiet. quite a good overview Here

Seemed to be about 15 degrees diff between stock and the arctic for both dynamic fan control & just running at 100% (under load)

Be interesting to know what kind of results you get with the Arctic Cooler - I can't make up my mind between the Arctic Cooler and the Zalman, so am going to be running mine with stock HSF for a few weeks. Once I'm sure that it's a good'un I'll be looking to irreversibly void my warranty by uprating the HSF. I take it that the Arctic Cooler ATI-5 is the one to go for, since the GTO2 is basically a dumbed down X850 card.

Cheers,

C.J.

Permabanned
OP
C.J. said:
Be interesting to know what kind of results you get with the Arctic Cooler - I can't make up my mind between the Arctic Cooler and the Zalman, so am going to be running mine with stock HSF for a few weeks. Once I'm sure that it's a good'un I'll be looking to irreversibly void my warranty by uprating the HSF. I take it that the Arctic Cooler ATI-5 is the one to go for, since the GTO2 is basically a dumbed down X850 card.

Cheers,

C.J.

theres quite a good review of this over at ******** ive had to add dots in to get it to display... i dont get it ? its not a swear word and they dont sell products...

they dont sell products so im hoping its ok to link to this ? :/ if not i am sorry in advance...

EDIT: whenever i try to link to this it blocks out the word ********** ???

Please don't try to bypass the word filter, it's there for a reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
locutus12 said:
theres quite a good review of this over at ((((((( ive had to add dots in to get it to display... i dont get it ? its not a swear word and they dont sell products...

they dont sell products so im hoping its ok to link to this ? :/ if not i am sorry in advance...

EDIT: whenever i try to link to this it blocks out the word <<<<<<<<<<???

If its blocked maybe your not supposed to use it?

Actually I'll be less subtle, don't use it.

MB

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
hottiger said:
E-mail a Don :)

i did, i got an explanation but i havent been here long enough to know what happened... something about the site i wanted to show you used to be close to this site 4 years ago till the mods had a fall out and one of them left here to go there, other than that i know nothing lol,

Associate
Hi Folks,

Card ordered Thursday night - arrived this morning, and I've been playing with it since. Taken me a while to get it behaving but now have it running with the Crucial X850XT bios with 16 pipes and stock heatsink. I'm getting 537MHz on the core and 625MHz on the memory before ATI tray starts reporting artifacts at core temperatures of about 68 degrees.

However, I had quite a few problems with the drivers - I did an initial install as a stock GTO2 and then when I tried flash upgrades I couldn't get the drivers to acknowledge that I had any ATI cards in the machine at all. The problem persisted when I reverted the original BIOS, and no amount of fiddling with driver cleaner and reinstalling the drivers could fix it - so I have just done a clean reinstall of Windows to get things back stable.

On that basis, I'd recommend that anyone who's going to do the mod flashes the card before attempting to install any drivers - and then install the latest generic drivers from ATI. There's obviously something about installing the same card with different BIOS images that can seriously mess with your registry.

C.J.

Associate
OK, I know it's Saturday night and I should be out on the beers, but I've got the flu and decided to run some 3Dmarks instead....

At my maximum stable clocks of 530 core and 610 memory I get 6382 '05 3Dmarks, which I think most people would agree is pretty good for a £150 quid card :cool: Also, the temperature maxed out at 60 degrees during the tests. This is with the stock heatsink and fan at 100% - which means I'll probably stick with the stock HSF unless I get fed up of the noise.

C.J.

Back
Top Bottom