• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X800 GTO2 Thread, post your mods and clocks here.

Associate
Hey.
They are saying to have the media writable so that you can backup you GPU's current BIOS and put it back on if the flash goes a bit awry.

You can put your CD rom as a boot device by entering your BIOS by pressing a function key or setup (it will tell you which if you read the screen quickly when the black and white stuff comes up before windows starts).

In the bios will be some section that says Boot order or something.

Put your CD drive infront of your Hard drive in the list.

That way, the PC will say, press Space to boot from disk if it sees a disk in the drive before starting windows.

Soldato
Mine's dipatched, should hopefully arrive tomorrow. I remember doing the same flashing of the bios malarky with one of the 9800np's from OCuk a while ago and didn't have any problem with that.

Be interesting to see how much of an increase I get over my current X800XL, which gets ~5500 in 3DMark'05. I'm hoping for a boost in EQII, which can be a tad jerky at times.

Joe

Joe

Associate
ordered mine earlier today :D with a bit of luck it should arrive tomorrow if not wednesday. I'll post my success and clocks.

joe :) can't wait.

Permabanned
OP
benskia said:
Hey.
They are saying to have the media writable so that you can backup you GPU's current BIOS and put it back on if the flash goes a bit awry.

You can put your CD rom as a boot device by entering your BIOS by pressing a function key or setup (it will tell you which if you read the screen quickly when the black and white stuff comes up before windows starts).

In the bios will be some section that says Boot order or something.

Put your CD drive infront of your Hard drive in the list.

That way, the PC will say, press Space to boot from disk if it sees a disk in the drive before starting windows.

i was more refferring to making the cd bootable i.e. it boots to the cd, runs a batch file and flshes the bugger on its own :) but thanks for the info at least. incidentally, i can download the cards standard bios from tech power up, this should be ok shouldnt it ?

Associate
locutus12 said:
i was more refferring to making the cd bootable i.e. it boots to the cd, runs a batch file and flshes the bugger on its own :) but thanks for the info at least. incidentally, i can download the cards standard bios from tech power up, this should be ok shouldnt it ?

Hear what your saying but taking the side off your pc and attaching a floppy drive only to flash your card wouldn't be that much of a chore surely?
It's definatley worth it. :)
That bios should be ok, its the one I had as a back-up

Permabanned
OP
Sick_boy71 said:
Hear what your saying but taking the side off your pc and attaching a floppy drive only to flash your card wouldn't be that much of a chore surely?
It's definatley worth it. :)
That bios should be ok, its the one I had as a back-up

its a chore when ive got to hike 4 miles to the nearest pc shop, (named after that which happens when the moon covers the sun) and then pray it actually works when i get it home... :)

Gak

Gak

Associate
Well... I'm kind of dissapointed with mine.

Flashed it with techpowerup bios. 16pp enabled.

Used ATItool to find just max core for now and it seems to max out around 510. Sometimes 520.

And i do not get an error message or whatsoever. I just lose image and im forced to reboot the computer. I was tempted to flash it with Crucial X850XT, however this way i guess i would render it unusable since it is not capable of such speeds...

God damn i'm not lucky! I was hoping to get a specimen capable of at least a max core of 540.

:( :mad:

Soldato
Gak said:
Well... I'm kind of dissapointed with mine.

Flashed it with techpowerup bios. 16pp enabled.

Used ATItool to find just max core for now and it seems to max out around 510. Sometimes 520.

And i do not get an error message or whatsoever. I just lose image and im forced to reboot the computer. I was tempted to flash it with Crucial X850XT, however this way i guess i would render it unusable since it is not capable of such speeds...

God damn i'm not lucky! I was hoping to get a specimen capable of at least a max core of 540.

:( :mad:

Oh my god your actually mad with a card that will give you over 6200 points in 3dmark 2005 for £150? or are you mad because your card is topping our roughly where every other GTO2 is?

Gak

Gak

Associate
Wamz, i do not see the point on that...

Just to get a "fancy" name under windows instead of x800/850 series card?

If it gave me the extra 10/20mhz that i wanted!

:D

Im not really mad. Im dissapointed. Every other card seems to get well past the 510mhz. This has a lot do to with the fact that in all my life with computers i've had always the worst luck when coming to overclocking components! Always "crap" pieces.

Example: a 2600+ barton that would hit is max @ 180 fsb... :rolleyes:

Permabanned
OP
Gak said:
Wamz, i do not see the point on that...

Just to get a "fancy" name under windows instead of x800/850 series card?

If it gave me the extra 10/20mhz that i wanted!

:D

Im not really mad. Im dissapointed. Every other card seems to get well past the 510mhz. This has a lot do to with the fact that in all my life with computers i've had always the worst luck when coming to overclocking components! Always "crap" pieces.

Example: a 2600+ barton that would hit is max @ 180 fsb... :rolleyes:

my names Gak, woe is me, i can only get X850XTPE speeds out of my X800GTO2, i think im going to go and kill myself... ;) :p

be happy. you get 510 on core, i get 550, some get 490 somone got 618... the point is your above stock X850XTPE speeds and your cards far from bad when it comes to overclocking... :)

Gak

Gak

Associate
Above XTPE stock?

Howcome if XTPE default's are 540 @ core?

It kind of makes me think... If these are all R480 chips shoudn't they at least run @ their slowest commercial speed that is the 520's of the XT card?

I'm thinking in selling this one and try another...

If at least temperatures were the cause to concern... But im using a VF-700 and the cards temperature goes nowhere past 60º.

And even ATItool doesn't reach a max value. Just "crashes".

:rolleyes:

And i haven't seen yet someone you "just" does 490.

If im not in mistake im the lowest oc @ max core.

Last edited:
Associate
What kind of temps are you guys getting on stock cooling before and after overclock? Wondering if a new cooler would be a good idea for XT PE speeds or if the stock can handle it.

Gak

Gak

Associate
I'm not @ what?

I've understood that.

However i created some thoughts that as they shared the same chip (R480) they would be able to perform @ relative similar speeds.

Now i see that that's not true. That's why im "frustrated".

It's only my fault. No one else.

However if i find someone who buys it from me, i won't hesitate in trying another specimen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom