• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

x850XTPE upgrade to ? (PCIe) advise pls

Soldato
I currently run an X850XTPE gfx card in my shuttle SN25P (with Opty @ 3Ghz).
With news of current price drops I feel its time to upgrade it, but:

1: noise is of concern to me, so dont want a card that sounds like a vacuum when under load.

2: idealy i want a single slot cooler on the card, this is not as important as the noise requirement though.

3: I don't fancy having to pay out £300+, so idealy on the look out for a card of Members market.

4: I will want to run native res (where possible) , so thats 1280x1024 for my 19" screen - decent FPS would be nice.

Your advice most welcome, but pls pls pls do not trash this thread as I have run both ATI and Nvidia from years and like both sides of the fence a few FPS either way is not important to me as meeting the real requirements.
If you have no advice as to what to buy, but know what NOT - thats also useful too me.
Thanks in advance :)

Associate
Or, you could get a Connect3D X1800XT 256mb for £164.44 brand new and fit either a zalman for Arctic X2 cooler to it ;) .

Seriously, at your native resolution, a higher end card isn't really needed (a single X1900XT(X) or 7900GTX are good for 1600x1200 rez tbh).

So, the grand total is (Inc VAT):

X1800XT: £164.44

aftermarket cooler (Arctic X2): £23.44

Plus delivery (circa £10)

total: £197.88

Woot, a complete solution for under £200, not bad, not bad ;) .

Soldato
OP
cheers , thats some food for thought, but looking at the Arctic X2 I'm not sure if it will fit in the shuttle SN25P due to its projection over the top of the card.
Dont suppose anyone has any measurements do they ?

:)

Associate
Id the X2 doesn't fit (sry, missed where you said it's for a shuttle), you could try the Zalman VF900-cu (£24.62 inc VAT). I'm pretty sure that would fit, and it's also quiet. ;)

Edit: Alternatively, you could get a BFG 7900GT OC for £193.82 (Inc VAT but not delivery) - this is a special this wek only deal. The 7900GT's run cooler than there ATi counterparts (you can tell by the size of the stock cooler), and so unless you overclocker, the stock cooler (the cooler that comes with the card) should suffice.

Edit No.2: Also, what's your PSU like?? if it's less than 350watt you might want to go with the 7900GT as this uses less power than ATi offerings.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Associate
charltonfan1 said:
Agree, also 7900GT's are dropping in price tomorrow. Gibbo mentioned them at £149+VAT which is roughly £175

^

plus an NV5 Silencer rev2 = fast&silent&cheap solution :D the silencer can fit onto the 7900GT no problems with little cutting ;) its better than the vf900, specially when you use the card in ** shuttle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom