XBOX 1 differences?

Soldato
Lads asked for an xbox 1 for xmas.

I notice theres a few different models. Hardware wise are they all the same spec? Are there any potential issues i should be looking out for on pre owned consoles?

Man of Honour
Get the Series S or Series X depending on budget, both are released on 10 November.

The S is digital only and for 1080p or 1440p screens while the X can use discs and is for 4K screens.

Both consoles will work on all screen resolutions, but the graphics will be better on the X.

Don’t by a new XBox One now.

Edit: I missed the pre-owned part, sorry. There are no big issues to look out for other than the condition of the controller. Wait to buy until after 10 November as the prices will plummet.

One X is significantly more powerful than the One S but plays all of the same games. I wouldn’t buy the original One and hold out for a One S model.

Soldato
Worth bearing in mind that the Series S will play all Xbox One games better than an Xbox One (and in some circumstances, a One X) and all next gen games, and costs £249 at launch on 10th November.

You should expect used Xbox One's to be priced accordingly.

Caporegime
I think he'd be horrified with an Xbox One now. Perhaps he doesn't know the new ones are on the way. You can always use the All Access thing and get it cheap as chips (pay monthly 0% interest).

Soldato
Worth bearing in mind that the Series S will play all Xbox One games better than an Xbox One (and in some circumstances, a One X) and all next gen games, and costs £249 at launch on 10th November.

You should expect used Xbox One's to be priced accordingly.

The Series S doesn’t support the enhanced games on Xbox one X . You get bog standard versions

Soldato
The Series S doesn’t support the enhanced games on Xbox one X . You get bog standard versions

Well aware of that, hence "in some cases".

Series S will be running the One S versions of games, but at their maximum resolution (where dynamic resolution scaling was used), with improved texture filtering, auto HDR, and (in select cases) at double the frame rate. Auto HDR and frame rate doubling are features not seen on One X. And frame rate doubling aside, all of these enhancements are automatic, applying to all Xbox One titles. So there will be plenty of games which saw no One X enhancements, and will therefore look and run better on Series S.

Xbox and Xbox 360 games will run at 3x and 2x native resolution, respectively. So 480p Xbox titles, and 720p 360 games, will run at 1440p. Auto HDR will also be applied to these games. Again, these are features not seen on One X.

On top of that, there will be games like Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and The Witcher 3, which are getting next gen enhanced versions. These versions are going to look better than their One X counterparts.

To pick on two games as examples, Battlefield V will look better on One X than on Series S due to the One X enhancements. But Battlefield 4 is going to look better on Series S than on One X as there is no "One X Enhanced" version.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Xbox and Xbox 360 games will run at 3x and 2x native resolution, respectively. So 480p Xbox titles, and 720p 360 games, will run at 1440p. Auto HDR will also be applied to these games. Again, these are features not seen on One X.

Have they clarified whether the 2x scaling applies to all Xbox 360 games or just the ones that are 4K enhanced on Xbox One X? Pretty exciting if it's the former.

Soldato
Have they clarified whether the 2x scaling applies to all Xbox 360 games or just the ones that are 4K enhanced on Xbox One X? Pretty exciting if it's the former.

Couldn't see any mention of it being select titles in Digital Foundry's write-up. I took it as being all games from the first two consoles.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. I wont be buying a new one. It will be used console i buy. He has a habit of being heavy handed so im not splashing out on a new one for him to break.

So, the original xbox 1, the chunky one... will it play minecroaft and roblox - the only things he really wants to play atm

Soldato
I've seen One S' recently sell for around the £100 mark boxed and as-new on local marketplaces. Once the new ones are out the prices of them should drop again but not to the same extent that the One X will.

Either way I'd wait for the new consoles to release as an influx in used consoles will make it a big buyer's market.

The One X is a 4K console so if you or your boy doesn't have a 4K TV there's no real benefit to it except better textures in some games and the ability to 'super sample' at lower resolutions. For Roblox etc you may aswell go for an S.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't buy an original Xbox one, if you could get a One S for only a slightly bit more. Even the jump from the Original to S was noticeably faster, even doing just basic things like booting up the console.

Back
Top Bottom