Xbox 360 and dell 2405

Soldato
Rich said:
How is a 720p res going to be better on a native resolution of 1920x1200 panel? It just isnt is the answer. Yes the Xbox upscales, but his panel wasnt accepting the 1080i input and running 720 instead. Then the panel will go ahead and stretch that resolution and you have your answer for why it looks so bad.

The cable doesn't send two distinct video signals to the monitor - it can only send one. Its the xbox sending the 720p signal, not the monitor deciding it likes the taste of the lower res signal more.

Configuration problem, Xbox fault (maybe software fault, not hardware), or monitor fault (the monitor should be able to send a signal back to the Xbox giving its capabilities, which means the xbox thinks 720p is the max supported res).

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
The update was for VGA cables, not for Component. It's totally unrelated and a mistake on his part.

Why it's not sticking to 1080i is unknown to me.

Ok cool.
He has one of the earliest 2405's and i have a recent one, so it think this could be related.

Caporegime
Rich said:
Ok cool.
He has one of the earliest 2405's and i have a recent one, so it think this could be related.

It is possible. Ring Dell and ask them, they will more than likely have a good idea as it's a very popular screen. If no luck, ring Microsoft.

Soldato
From what i have read elsewhere (widescreen gaming forums), Dell dont officially support HD through any input on these screens.

Anyway, the above forums have a massive thread all about the 2405 and 360, its well worth a read. There are also threads on avsforums and hardforums.

Soldato
For those interested, what I have read is the 2405fpw does support HD inputs, hence the OSD displaying either 720 or 1080. What all those threads on other sites forums were about, was whether is supports HD output. Some very technical minded people seem to think the chip on the 2405 responsible for displaying the image can only output 480p, but upscales it to 720 or 1080, depending on what you have it set to on your 360. And this was supposed to explain why some people with plasmas and lcd tv's thought the 2405 looks pants with a 360. Personally I think the output looks really good, and those LCD TV or Plasma users are sitting so far back they don't notice the lack of anti-alisaing which is missing from a lot of the launch titles. The quality I think is at least as good as the Sammy screens in the kiosks. Even Xbox mag last month commented on how good the 2405 was with component at 1080i.

Last edited:
Soldato
Flanno said:
For those interested, what I have read is the 2405fpw does support HD inputs, hence the OSD displaying either 720 or 1080. What all those threads on other sites forums were about, was whether is supports HD output. Some very technical minded people seem to think the chip on the 2405 responsible for displaying the image can only output 480p, but upscales it to 720 or 1080, depending on what you have it set to on your 360. And this was supposed to explain why some people with plasmas and lcd tv's thought the 2405 looks pants with a 360. Personally I think the output looks really good, and those LCD TV or Plasma users are sitting so far back they don't notice the lack of anti-alisaing which is missing from a lot of the launch titles. The quality I think is at least as good as the Sammy screens in the kiosks. Even Xbox mag last month commented on how good the 2405 was with component at 1080i.

I agree. Since buying the 360 i have been back and seen/played several games on the Samsung Panels in the Hightstreet stores and they are no better than the Dell.

Associate
Well ive switched my from 480p to 720p and 1080i and can tell you there is an OBVIOUS difference between the 480p and 720p rez, the 1080i doesnt seem to change much from the 720p but thats probably because the 360 is only upscaling anyway.....

PGR3 is jaggy but thats because of the slack AA implementation <--spelling? and the non 720p rez

DOA4 looks the nuts on my 2405 :)

Soldato
Which looks / plays better do you reckon :

720p with scaling set to Aspect

1080i with scaling set to 1:1

I know progressive is supposed to display fast moving objects better, but I can't really see the difference.

Associate
Flanno said:
Which looks / plays better do you reckon :

720p with scaling set to Aspect

1080i with scaling set to 1:1

I know progressive is supposed to display fast moving objects better, but I can't really see the difference.

1080i aspect

Back
Top Bottom