XBox 360 HDMI cable

Soldato
Found an interesting thread of AVforums http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333560&page=1 talking about an imminent HDMI cable for the 360.

One person put this link > http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=319&products_id=8540& but it seems this company is renowned for listing products that don't exist.

But it's still an interesting discussion. Now I'm not sure what benefits moving from Component / VGA to HDMI would give, but there must be something good from keeping the signal digital.

Maybe something will be announced at E3, we'll have to wait.

Commissario
I would think that one of the advantages is that it carres both digital audio and digital video signals so one cable to the TV.
It also puts the 360 in a position where it could be used with HD-DVD requiring the HDCP system I guess (if it used an external drive for HD-DVD).

The main advantage though, should be the same as you get when using a DVI cable to connect to an LCD monitor - no signal degredation due to it being converted from digital to analogue and back to digital.

Man of Honour
I'll believe it when I see it at the moment. Is the 360 even capable of outputting a digital dignal from the connection at the back?

It'll certainly be good and free up component / VGA for those with HDMI ready HD TVs.

Commissario
I would be suprised if it isn't, after all it (digital out) has been a standard feature on video cards for what, 4-5 years?

I haven't seen the actual connector on the back of the 360, but I suspect it's got a lot of connections/terminals that aren't currently used or can be switched from one function to another (rather like the original x-box had a standard fitting for most of it's cables at one end, with the other end varying depending on the cable type)

Man of Honour
Werewolf said:
I would be suprised if it isn't, after all it (digital out) has been a standard feature on video cards for what, 4-5 years?

I haven't seen the actual connector on the back of the 360, but I suspect it's got a lot of connections/terminals that aren't currently used or can be switched from one function to another (rather like the original x-box had a standard fitting for most of it's cables at one end, with the other end varying depending on the cable type)

Yeah, It would be silly of MS not to implement something for digital output, but I find it strange they didn't support HDMI / DVI from the beginning. They probably didn't see a need for it, as a good guess would say 95%+ of the HDTVs out there in the US only really use component, and only ones in the last couple of years have really started to use HDMI. Whereas in europe, we've hardly touched HDTV yet.

Mr Spew said:
The signal is analogue, the lead just wouldn't work.

There are plenty of pins at the back of the 360. We don't know wether or not there are digital capable ones yet.

Associate
Bit off topic, but does anyone know what the funny HDMI cable that comes with the JAP xbox360 is. I'm guessing it's just a localised variant of the version we have. Just wondered if it's different from ours for a reason, better quality, more secure etc,

Soldato
peter_hutson said:
Bit off topic, but does anyone know what the funny HDMI cable that comes with the JAP xbox360 is. I'm guessing it's just a localised variant of the version we have. Just wondered if it's different from ours for a reason, better quality, more secure etc,

I think they get a special cable that is effectively still component, but repackaged into a single connector to support the TV's they have over there.

Soldato
The hdmi lead on lik-sang has been there since last year i wouldnt expect a hdmi lead from microsoft until they announce the details of hd dvd drive.

Associate
I'm pretty certain (from memory) that MS did an interview at launch ,and when asked about HDMI stated that the 360 has the capability (ie the hardware is there), but it has not been enabled as they don't consider the market for HDMI to be large enough at that time. However, they also stated that there was no reason that it couldn't be enabled at a later date.
.....I'll see if I can find it. :)

Back
Top Bottom