Xbox 360 Selected as the Primary Development

Associate
Next-Gen Wolfenstein

John Carmack’s decision to switch his primary development efforts over to the Xbox 360-- an announcement that made quite a splash among PC gamers at last year’s QuakeCon.

infos

This has to be a good thing for the xbox 360. :D

Soldato
Tbh the PC is getting to be a very difficult platform to develop for. There are so many hardware combinations, so many driver bugs (or cheats or hacks) that it makes developing hard. Then when the game comes out people complain constantly because they can't run high detail, or it doesn't look good enough. The X360 has the amazing dev tools of the PC, with a nice static piece of hardware. Not surprised Carmack is doing this at all.

Associate
JUMPURS said:
this is old old old news, wasnt this posted in the pc forum like a month or 2 ago also?

Who cares if its old news lots of people dont read this forum everyday post about the topic or dont post simple

Permabanned
Do people still get excited about id games, after the junk that was Doom 3 and Quake 4? Would anyone have cared or been excited about those games if they weren't called Doom and Quake and weren't made by id? They are living off past glories IMO.. and their recent and possibly future games are hype over substance.

Soldato
well to be honest i loved quake iv. still dont know what i preffered that or COD2. Doom 3 wasnt bad, think people expected something different, not an action game but a horror, and at that i enjoyed it.
And i cant wait for quake wars :D

Permabanned
Quake 4 was in the bargain bin about a week after it came out wasn't it? :D I really don't think either D3 or Q4 would have sold much if they were id's first ever games and nobody had heard of them before.

So in summary... whatever the 'great' Carmack does or doesn't do gets a big 'MEH!' from me..

Soldato
dirtydog said:
So in summary... whatever the 'great' Carmack does or doesn't do gets a big 'MEH!' from me..

His engine ends up in multiple games, like the Unreal engine. Thats an important thing.

Unfortunately the Doom3 engine took an incorrect turn imo using the stencil buffer for shadows instead of framebuffer effects, or extra render targets (which look better [soft shadows] and can be cheaper). Leaves a wide opening for the Unreal engine.

Either way I loved both Doom3 and Q4, so I don't care what anyone thinks :D

Associate
Hi,

Makes me laugh when he states XBOX 360 is easy to program for! If its easy why did ID release a p!££ poor unoptimized conversion of Quake 4. I think he means easy to port to!

One good thing if hes stopping PC game releases maybe ID will learn how to actually CODE on the 360.

Cheers,
Hugest

Soldato
I'd guess like most of the other titles, Quack4 was just rushed for the launch to maximise sales more then anything else. Imo the only proper launch titles were PGR3/Condemned and Kameo - they were complete and nice and robust. The rest was cack.

Back
Top Bottom