Xbox 360 - Which DVD drive you got?

Associate
Crazy loud Hitachi here :( I've had it for a while but had no 360 games to test. The demos loaded from the HD relatively quietly. I was all :eek: when I finally got Condemned and Ridge Racer in the post!

They need non-deaf testing R&D folk in them Microsoft labs :p My solution so far is to move the console as far away from me as possible and stick a box partially covering it. Its still way worse than my OC-ed PC but bearable... for the time being.

Permabanned
ive got thesamsung but its loud as anything anyway lol tho im used to it now. If its quiter than the hitachi then i feel for you lot!! On a side note, isnt it odd that they chose loud and essentially unproven SATA drives when a top end IDE woulda prolly done fine. Geuss they really wanted transfer speed!

Soldato
Datamonkey said:
Gord whats the date on the back of your console, i have only had mine a month, but manu date on mine is nov time

29th - 11 - 2005.. damn thought i had a new one..

Prays it wont break.. :(

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
ive got thesamsung but its loud as anything anyway lol tho im used to it now. If its quiter than the hitachi then i feel for you lot!! On a side note, isnt it odd that they chose loud and essentially unproven SATA drives when a top end IDE woulda prolly done fine. Geuss they really wanted transfer speed!

Thinner cables for better airflow for.... you guessed it silence :D

Quite funny that the console was tested in an air tunnel to ensure the airflow was perfect to keep it silent.... then they dump an optical drive in far nosier than the first gen Pioneer slot DVD drives (which were very noisy btw).

Soldato
Boogle said:
Thinner cables for better airflow for.... you guessed it silence :D

Quite funny that the console was tested in an air tunnel to ensure the airflow was perfect to keep it silent.... then they dump an optical drive in far nosier than the first gen Pioneer slot DVD drives (which were very noisy btw).

Its really annoying.

The unit is nice and quiet when playing a demo from the HD for example or sitting in the dashboard.

Associate
I can see the loudness of these drives (even the supposed quieter Samsung drive) really spoiling some games with their constant noise.

And WTF???? Testing it in an Air tunnel?? Then dropping in a jet engine powered optical drive?? (As boogle said)

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
Soldato
By the description i've got a Hitachi.

The noise is highly effected by the position of the console. when it was placed high on a shelf the noise was much more noticable than it is now its placed low down on a twin shelf cofee table.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
My first 360 had the Samsung, the replacement is the Hitachi.

TBH, I can't really tell THAT much of a difference :confused:

Associate
~J~ said:
My first 360 had the Samsung, the replacement is the Hitachi.

TBH, I can't really tell THAT much of a difference :confused:

Same as, this replacement is near silent compared to the first 360 I had, The hard drive on the first 360 i had could be heard spinning up, all I can hear from this one is slight fan noise of the 360, hardly audiable :)

Back
Top Bottom