Xbox controller has a built in charger.

Soldato
I just find it so much easier to plug my controller in after every use and let it charge for the at least 16 hours a day I’m not going to be using the thing. Plugging batteries into a battery charger is not nearly as simple as plugging the usb cable in, I’m not saying either is difficult but I have plenty of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries around the house but I can’t find my charger lol. The fact almost non of the battery packs on the market make use of the built in battery pack charger baffles me, they almost all need to be plugged into the battery and won’t charge if plugged into the controller.

I have 4 or more usb cables plugged into my pc that I can just plug into the controller to charge. I don’t foresee that ever being less preferable than using rechargeable AAs...

I did get a pair of Duracell AAs in the box with my new controller.

Sounds fine if the battery packs you like are available. I had a look and there's a wide variety of options including packs that let you stick the whole controller onto a dedicated charger so you don't need to connect any wires.

Associate
I do think 8bitdo have the best approach. Their Pro controllers include a 1,000mAh battery with the controller but it can be removed from the battery compartment and replaced with 2 AA batteries.

A couple of years ago I did replace a launch day DualShock 4's battery with a 2,000mAh battery and that made a real difference as I wasn't having to charge the DS4 every single time. The improvement was so good I actually bought a second one and fitted that into a new DS4.

Associate
OP
I replaced batteries in my ds4 pads. But I broke one lol. They are definitely made so you don't open them up. Both the usb ports on them don't work but the little weird port underneath works on one and I use a stand I bought that fits into that port to charge it.

I'll take a pic of what I am talking about with the xbox controller because I think some people are not understanding what I am talking about.

Associate
I think unfortunately most people probably do throw away old controllers. However with these ALPS analog sticks that almost every controller uses I suspect the short service life of those or analog rubber sticks wearing out means the battery won't always be the first thing to go (Youtube link to iFixit's analysis of the ALPS analog stick components - in case anyone missed it)

I replaced batteries in my ds4 pads. But I broke one lol. They are definitely made so you don't open them up. Both the usb ports on them don't work but the little weird port underneath works on one and I use a stand I bought that fits into that port to charge it.

I'll take a pic of what I am talking about with the xbox controller because I think some people are not understanding what I am talking about.

For me it was fairly simple to just replace the battery as you only need the back off rather than have to take everything out. Like the Xbox controller getting to all the internal components is an immense pain due to the soldiered on rumble motors and dual motherboard design. Although the DS4 doesn't use Torx security screws like the Xbox controllers. I think like most modern electronics both could be much more friendly to component replacement and servicing. The hardest part about taking the DS4 apart for me was getting the back to 'pop off' without damaging it.

I think you are referring to the small 4 pin proprietary contacts on the left-side of the Xbox battery compartment that allows it to charge Microsoft's battery pack. Ultimately it will just be commercial reasons as to why they don't include the rechargeable battery pack with the controller. It probably generates a small but reasonable revenue for MS and their partners to then sell battery add-ons.

sDMdOIDl.jpg

Caporegime
I use cheapo Aldi 2450mah battery's. I have so many of them in the draw I always have a set of 4 on the charger to go at all times. I share with my daughter. Also have a load of eneloops but cannot tell the difference and the Aldi ones last plenty.

I had the battery packs in the old 360 days and felt like they were rubbish as after a few years the charge just didn't last that long to the point where they wouldn't even charge anymore.

Man of Honour
Got 2 of the Ikea Storhogen chargers. 1 with 12 Ikea Ladda AA's in and one with 12 Ladda AAA's in. That covers most of everything that needs batteries in the house. Easy enough to switch batteries in the controller to fully charged ones.

I never found the Xbox360 battery packs had much in the way of life, even the official ones died after a few months. Avoided them with the XboxOne. Cheaper and easier to use the Ikea AA's.

Soldato
I'm going to go with my suspicion that you want a battery pack which uses those pins and can't find them yourself.

Stick this in google and get yourself two battery packs for £18 plus the cables to charge them through the controller: Xbox One Battery, YCCTEAM

Associate
My nephew has been through numerous DualShock 4 controllers owing to battery problems. The DualSense provides roughly ten hours of charge, which is shockingly bad in 2021! Xbox has the best of both worlds with the option of consumables and rechargables. If it's a matter of cost, you should be more concerned about Sony's £70 price hike!

Associate
Another vote here for using AAs.

Dual Shock 4 - 1,000mAh battery.
Dualsense - 1,560mAh battery.
Xbox Play & Charge Kit - 1,400mAh.
IKEA's LADDA AA - 2,450mAh. Each.

Literally this, the AA's just have a massive capacity compared to most of the rechargable battery packs. Compared to something like the dual shock 4 you are talking almost a 500% increase in battery capacity and it really shows. Whilst I'm not a heavy user of mine by any means I'd estimate I get close to a month in between having to swap batteries on my usage patterns. I've certainly completed entire games on a single set of batteries!

Back
Top Bottom