1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox freezing - RRoD on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by OCdude, 11 Apr 2010.

1. OCdude

Mobster

I've got a ~10 month old Elite that's starting to freeze more and more. Initially I tried clearing the cache which "seemed" to fix it for a short time, but now it's just getting more and more frequent.

I've just looked at the sticky, and I can see that you get 2 red sections if it's overheating (which I initially though it was), but other than that, I can't see anything else that would be causing it.

Is this symptom common before a RRoD?

Mostly games just freeze (often with the music continuing in the background) or most recently, Resi 5 just spazzed out and was displaying random polygons on the screen (which to me, seems like the GFX card is overheating or just freaking out).

Anyway, i'm assuming i can't do jack "replacement-wise" until it actually dies completely!

So yah, should I expect a RRoD soon do you think?

Comments appreciated!

2. alex24

Capodecina

Seems like it already has a fault, get it fixed under warranty.

3. uchuff

Wise Guy

I'd say so, mine just RRoD on Saturday for the third time and each time it's frozen occasionally while playing before the final death.

UPS shipping tags printed, just got to try and find a box big enough tomorrow.

4. craptakular

Capodecina

My Jasper elite is a month or so old and it has frozen twice in BC2 a couple of weeks ago and once in Arkham asylam this afternoon.

I assumed it was just game bugs and not hardware.

How would I send something back which might not have the problem when they test it?

5. OCdude

Mobster

With the warranty, do you get your own "fixed" console back, or a replacement?

6. Minstadave

Caporegime

I've had my own fixed console back twice.

7. OCdude

Mobster

Ohhhhhhhh joy. Sounds like i'm in for a fun ride then :(